Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? Is it worth it? I've seen some of my friends' black cars with numerous white little spots due to rock chips...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yes, it's worth it. See this thread for a discussion about it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
My clearbra cost $350 though I got a good deal. My entire front end was covered (including headlights). Make sure you have it done by a reputable and experienced pro as it is not that easy an install to get right.
I think the white chips you see are the clearbra being disturbed (chipped?). When it is removed the front end should be in good shape.
Is it worth it?? I will never own another car without it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
how much did you guys pay? will it be cheaper if not cover the whole hood?
The amount of coverage I got is around $1500, but it is an unusually overkill amount of coverage. To recap, mine is complete front bumper, headlights, foglights, complete hood, complete fenders, a-pillars, roof in front of the sunroof, he also ordered the side-mirror film but it was partial and I didn't like it because it left a line, so we removed it.

The typical ClearBra coverage is full bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, and depending on the installer it goes roughly anywhere from $400-600. If it is subsidized by the dealership, it might be less. The name 'ClearBra' was dubbed based on this amount of coverage because it's the same kind of protection you would get from those 80's style leather "bra" covers from LeBra or whomever.

Also take note that there are for the most part two different film types that are used, which are VentureShield and 3M -- I posted a while back the response from my installer about what the difference is, but basically if you have a metallic paint, I would stick to 3M because it is better protection, whereas if you have a solid color, I would tend to use VentureShield because t is a smoother surface which is more visible when the paint isn't a flake finish. On mine, I have VentureShield on the hood, and 3M everywhere else (per the recommendation of the installer).

·
Registered
479 Posts
The amount of coverage I got is around $1500, but it is an unusually overkill amount of coverage. To recap, mine is complete front bumper, headlights, foglights, complete hood, complete fenders, a-pillars, roof in front of the sunroof, he also ordered the side-mirror film but it was partial and I didn't like it because it left a line, so we removed it.
Mine was in the same ballpark, possibly just slightly cheaper; full front bumper, full hood, full fenders, headlights, foglights, A-pillars, Side Mirrors, and a little mud-flap like piece behind the rear wheels. My installer in La Verne uses the Ventureshield material.

If I recall correctly, for partial coverage, the cost estimate was somewhere around $550-600.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I guess whether it is "worth it" is a matter of opinion. I have never used it in 20 years of multiple audi ownerships and multiple colors including phantom black currently and although there are invariably small "dings" I have found that a touch up stick from audi does a nice job unless you get up close and very personal with the front end and then yes you can see it. However, another $1500 to prevent this seems excessive and I doubt you will get it back at trade in time--I have never been penalized at the time of trade in but I do trade in at least every 3 years. I do drive with some caution not trying to kiss the back end of cars or trucks ahead of me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff at Protint gave me a discount of $100 off and free clearBra door strip ( prevent you hit something when you open the door). Total come out to be 500 ( for 3M)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gay..i just found out the 500 does not include headlights...to cover headlights would be 125 extra, but he give me 30% off, so it'll be..87.5

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I guess whether it is "worth it" is a matter of opinion. I have never used it in 20 years of multiple audi ownerships and multiple colors including phantom black currently and although there are invariably small "dings" I have found that a touch up stick from audi does a nice job unless you get up close and very personal with the front end and then yes you can see it. However, another $1500 to prevent this seems excessive and I doubt you will get it back at trade in time--I have never been penalized at the time of trade in but I do trade in at least every 3 years. I do drive with some caution not trying to kiss the back end of cars or trucks ahead of me.
Not sure about earlier Audis as this is the first one I've had, but I notice this car's paint chips more easily than any other car I've owned, which include a Mercedes and several older Toyotas. I had a conversation with Sizzle about it, and even my installer said he got an A5 in who wanted to get clearbra, but he had to turn her away because he didn't want to add film to such a severely chipped front bumper (that car had maybe 10k miles and was at most 8 months old).

This probably has something to do with the latest in environmental laws (which in the US is effective since Jan 1, 2009) where you can no longer use oil-based paints (they have to be water-based).

Personally I picked up 2 significant rock chips which I had to touch up within the first 4k miles of owning the car -- and by significant, I mean they were chipped down to the primer. Granted I do a lot of freeway driving, but as I said, this is the only car I've had which has been this prone to rock chip damage.

You're right that you probably won't get the money back when you sell the car. Same with pretty much any other modification, so hopefully you are doing it with your own satisfaction in mind, not the next owner. For what it's worth, 99.9% of people only get partial coverage and spend closer to $600, often times amortized across the payments of the car when done by the dealer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with SupraBlur on the water-based paint being more fragile. I've driven my car less than 1500 miles and already had a couple dings in the front bumper. Dropped my car off this morning and got the dings fixed and an extended 3M Paint Protection Film kit installed. I'll try and take photos but I'm not sure it will show up as it's only a hairline demarcation where the film ends.

If you can spare the expense, I would encourage anyone who is considering it to just go ahead and get it... 3M or VentureShield.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have had the clear bra on my A4 Avant since it was new in 03 and it has done wonders protecting the front facing surfaces of the car. This even after living in the mtns outside of Denver for 4 years where marble size rocks bounced off of the front of the hood without damage. I still have it on the Tacoma and it still looks great after 6 years. Well worth the investment and I put it on my new A5 as well.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I swore to god I would never get a clearbra, but after hitting a crate on the freeway and taking a chunk out of my front end, I am gonna take the plunge.

I am getting my entire front, hood, lights, and both fenders done for $350. It's included in my insurance payout so I am sure they made the money somewhere else.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I swore to god I would never get a clearbra, but after hitting a crate on the freeway and taking a chunk out of my front end, I am gonna take the plunge.
Sizzle something similar happened to me just recently! :wall:

Roof shingle fell of a home depot truck and smacked my bumper and cracked a fog light grille right out of the socket.

I brought it to a body shop and they did a terrible paint job to make things worse... Hair and stuff is under the clearcoat.

I am thinking about getting a new bumper painted and clearbra'd before putting it on the car.

What are you going to do, a touch up job?

I heard that new bumpers never align correctly like the factory installed...thats what I'm worried about here.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I claimed it with my insurance because I need the bumper replaced and the fenders sprayed. I also flattened one of my tires, so total cost came to $2900. I have to wait 30 days before they will clearbra it so the paint can cure.

I asked Audi who they use and they recommended Caliber Collision. The local Mercedes and BMW dealers also use them so I am pretty comfortable. They GUARANTEE color match as well. I'm replacing the entire front including grille and fogs. If my headlights don't buff to perfection, I already have approval to get new ones as well.

Just yesterday, I barely avoided what looked like some sort of hybrid deer/werewolf on the highway before it got smacked by a truck. Wasn't pretty...:no:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I noticed the clear coat is really sensitive with my A5, I'm guessing that is the same with everyone? I've been thinking of getting the clearbra but the only dealer near me doesn't install 3M. What is holding me back is when you polish/wax you can go right over the clearbra with no worries right? I'm afraid of investing all that money and the chemicals making it curl up and become useless after a few years.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I noticed the clear coat is really sensitive with my A5, I'm guessing that is the same with everyone? I've been thinking of getting the clearbra but the only dealer near me doesn't install 3M. What is holding me back is when you polish/wax you can go right over the clearbra with no worries right? I'm afraid of investing all that money and the chemicals making it curl up and become useless after a few years.
This is the documentation that I got with my install:

Appearance and Cure Time:

Spal Shield paint protection film has a cure time of 15-30 days. During this time, you may notice “blemishes”, clouding”, stretch marks”, and/or “bubbles”. This is normal and typical of the product, especially on darker colored cars. Any visible blemish or surface scratches that occur during the install will minimize over time and dissipate gradually when exposed to sunlight.

Spal Shield has been trained and certified in the professional installation of this film. While we are confident in our quality of workmanship, we still stress that there is no 100% dust free and stretch free installation. The film is designed to be a sacrificial barrier between your paint and the road debris, while remaining much less noticeable than a vinyl bra or bug shield. As always, we stand behind our work with total satisfaction guaranteed.

Product care Instructions:
It is recommended not to wash the vehicle for 48 hours after the installation. This will insure complete adhesion of the protective film. Once the film has set, you are able to wash the film just as you would the rest of the vehicle.

FREQUENTLY PROTECT WITH THE FOLLOWING APPROVED PRODUCTS:
• Plexus Cleaner and protector
• Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish
• Mequiar’s NXT Tech Wax 2.0 Liquid Polish

RECOMMENDED DETAIL SPRAYS TO USE BETWEEN WASHES AND WAX
• Mequiar’s Ultimate Detailer
• Turtle Wax Ice Detail Spray

Spal Shield film responds very well to these products and needs protection, just like your paint. Notice that all of these products are colorless and dye free. If you find a product with similar “clear” or “dye-free” characteristics, you may use it with great results.

Do not use any buffing or polishing wheels or use any abrasive, powdered polishes or dyed waxes as they may scratch, yellow and dull the Spal Shield paint protection.

Please visit www.spalshield.com for more information on care of your new Clear Bra.
I guess the thing to remember is that it is a sacrificial barrier, and if you do end up having to redo it in 3-4 years, it's still better and cheaper than getting your front end repainted, and all of the issues associated with that (color matching, etc).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts