Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for a clear bra and came up with nothing (search leaves out the word bra and only looks for the word clear).

Has anybody had a clear bra applied to thier A5/S5? In light of my windshield getting broken yesterday I would like to try and protect the paint as much as possible (windshield gets replaced tomorrow).

I was wondering if anybody has done this yet, and if so, how did it turn out?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've done it and there's a bunch of others here who have done it. Came out great for me, but I think the quality of the job largely depends on the proficiency of the installer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I did a search for a clear bra and came up with nothing (search leaves out the word bra and only looks for the word clear).

Has anybody had a clear bra applied to thier A5/S5? In light of my windshield getting broken yesterday I would like to try and protect the paint as much as possible (windshield gets replaced tomorrow).

DO IT! The clear Bra (3m or Venture shield) is a very smart investment!
Some dealerships in the states can offer it, I would ask yours first before starting your hunt for installers.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, once I get back home I will definitley get it done. The local Porsche dealership has a place that does it for them, I will find out who that is and go there.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Clear-bra/Venture Shield

Good day all, I too have had the Venture Shield film installed on my S5 and because it is so thin you barely see it shane. Money well spent IMO.

I went with the "bikini cut" piece on the hood (around 18" up from the grill) and matching pieces on the front fenders - looks great on Quartz Grey. almost disapears!

I plan to post some pics of my baby all Zaino'd out in the next couple of days, then some follow up shots of it dropped with KW V3s in a week or so - scheduled for drop on the 10th :D Happy motoring! Steve

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bra fan too

I did the 3M Clear Bra (Paint Protection per Dealer).
It came out quite well. I had the hood (bonnet) coverage size reduced to 9 inches of coverage, measured from the most forward lip of the hood.
I did not want the line too far up, while maintaining key protection on the leading edge. Virtually invisible.

I did have some small bubbles appear a few days after the initial application, but the dealer fixed it straight away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On my S5 I have it covering the full hood, full bumper,the lights, and half way back on the fenders. Unless I specifically point i out to people, it is not apparent. My film is 3M.
Go for it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
On my S5 I have it covering the full hood, full bumper,the lights, and half way back on the fenders. Unless I specifically point i out to people, it is not apparent. My film is 3M.
Go for it.
What color is your car?

·
Registered
371 Posts

When I ordered mine they said it was an option. It was 1300. to have the WHOLE hood, bumper/valance, fenders, and mirrios. It covers the car all the way to the windsheild and doors. First day I get my car I will have them install it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
will these films yellow on a white car or collect dirt at the edges of the film?
From what I understand, yellowing could occur eventually (like maybe years later) on any brand film. However, the newer films being produced today supposedly resist yellowing much longer than previous generations. And when they do, it's barely noticeable. How you maintain the film, what products are used on it, and environmental factors (e.g., sunlight, air pollution) will impact how long it remains looking crystal clear. Also, note that the films are not designed to be permanent. When/if it gets to the point that your film no longer looks good aesthetically, you can simply have it replaced.

You simply wash and polish it like you would your paint to maintain it. Just don't use any type of abrasives, as that will likely scratch it. Also, try to stay away from paste wax. Otherwise, you run the risk of wax accumulation along the edges of the film. Instead, use a liquid product that dries clear.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone, you've convinced me. I plan on getting this done as soon as I get stateside.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What color is your car?
My car is Deep Sea Blue which is very dark - almost black. I had it done 6 weeks ago and have had no probems with dirt on the edges. Also have take the car to car wash since then a few times with no problems....just no presssure washer on the body. I paid $1300 for the full coverage. Money well spent IMHO.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts

Has anybody had a clear bra applied to thier A5/S5?

My teenage daughter reckons La Senza is worth a try.

www.lasenza.co.uk

:D:D:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seems like a good idea .

Has anyone had one fitted in the UK and if so where / how much ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,,

My car is black and i was a bit worry about the line of the clear bra on the hood. You can see the line but it is not that bad compare to the protection it give you. I did not ask to my dealer to do it becuase of cost. I went to a local shop and thery did the front bumper, Bikini hood as well as fender plus mirror and a small area on the trunck for 700$. It is a 3M product.
Quite please about the result but need special attention to clean up the edge after washing.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Deatiler -vs- clear bra?

lcarron - Can you post some photos?

I'm picking up mine in next 2 weeks :D and am considering a full bonnet wrap rather than the bikini line but this adds an extra £250 (approx $450) to the price of £499...........so its an expensive job. I'm concerned about that line and the need to give it special attention. Also there will be a line on the wing and bumper edges.....although less noticeable they will still be there.

Anyone think that a better approach is to go to a good detailer once a year to repair the odd stone chip? I know it’s treating the problem rather than preventing, but I’m just not convinced about the clear wrap and its effects on how it could dull down the metallic effect with time and also leave those lines!!!

Any views about what’s best.....annual work by a good detailer or the clear bra approach:confused:

Glenn

·
Registered
479 Posts
A detailer offers no protection, only covering up what imperfections you've picked up since you saw him/her last... and there will definitely be things that a detailer will not be able to fix, no matter how talented and meticulous.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts