Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’ve recently had condensation inside my headlights so I took them off and dried them out but it’s left a white residue on the inside, is there a solution I could pour in and dry out or another way to clean them without splitting them ( which I am thinking of doing ) if I can’t get a way. I’ve got a 2009 Audi A5 3.0 TDI with xenons
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same issue and have also wondered how/if it's possible to clean them. I hope someone has a good diy solution (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same issue and have also wondered how/if it's possible to clean them. I hope someone has a good diy solution (y)
I’ve looked at videos of taking the lens off by putting them into the oven for a few minutes to warm the glue and then prize them apart, but surely there is an easier way!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve looked at videos of taking the lens off by putting them into the oven for a few minutes to warm the glue and then prize them apart, but surely there is an easier way!
I have also heard about this method. I'm not sure I want to make a mistake and end up scrambling to find expensive replacements. Looking on my local buy and sell sites, asking prices for a set of used headlights is typically $800-1000+ (Canadian), which I find totally insane :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have also heard about this method. I'm not sure I want to make a mistake and end up scrambling to find expensive replacements. Looking on my local buy and sell sites, asking prices for a set of used headlights is typically $800-1000+ (Canadian), which I find totally insane :(
Going by the videos I’ve watched it doesn’t look too hard,the headlights are designed to withstand high temperatures so putting them in the oven shouldn’t be a problem, you just put them In for a minute, try to prize them, if it’s difficult put them in for a bit longer until they come apart, to reseal them you use RTV silicone along the long edges and a 2 part plastic repair for the corners to hold the lens in place, this stuff sets in a minute or so , so it holds it tight while the silicone goes off. I’ll be giving it a go when I get some dry weather!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going by the videos I’ve watched it doesn’t look too hard,the headlights are designed to withstand high temperatures so putting them in the oven shouldn’t be a problem, you just put them In for a minute, try to prize them, if it’s difficult put them in for a bit longer until they come apart, to reseal them you use RTV silicone along the long edges and a 2 part plastic repair for the corners to hold the lens in place, this stuff sets in a minute or so , so it holds it tight while the silicone goes off. I’ll be giving it a go when I get some dry weather!
Just make sure when you put them in the oven you put them on a wooden block not metal as it will melt the housing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just make sure when you put them in the oven you put them on a wooden block not metal as it will melt the housing
I watched a few youtube videos and I think that when winter goes away, I'll try the heat gun method. It appears a little more forgiving to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts