Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ouch, had to happen sometime, small rock hit my windscreen while I was doing around 130kmph. Sure enough is about a half inch crack. Fortunately it is below line of sight so only visible from the outside (just above the hood). Is there any pressing need to have the windscreen replaced (will it expand over time) ? Is there something I can do to arrest further damage ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bad luck with the chip.

You should get the chip fixed asap. Temperature changes cause the windscreen to expand and contract, and with the chip causing a weakness in that area of the screen, can then lead to an unrepairable expansion of the chip into a progressive crack.

You may be able to buy a windscreen repair kit as a DIY job. Better getting a professional though who should be able to do a more or less invisible repair for not much money. It's only a 10-20 minute job.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Has it cracked already? Normally it's fine to repair a chip, but once it's cracked the entire windscreen has to be replaced

At least, that's what the windscreen companies tell us in the UK. Fed up hearing the ads on the radio.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My windscreen cracked up the middle whilst the car was sitting, overnight, on the driveway. :eek:

There were no stonechips etc, the car only 8 weeks old. :mad:

Replaced by Audi as it was a 'stress fracture' !

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
My windscreen cracked up the middle whilst the car was sitting, overnight, on the driveway. :eek:

There were no stonechips etc, the car only 8 weeks old. :mad:

Replaced by Audi as it was a 'stress fracture' !

I wouldn't be surprised by that. Everytime I go over a bump it sounds like the windscreen has just cracked on the driver side. Just waiting for it to do so.

·
Registered
132 Posts
crack or chip

Has it cracked already? Normally it's fine to repair a chip, but once it's cracked the entire windscreen has to be replaced

At least, that's what the windscreen companies tell us in the UK. Fed up hearing the ads on the radio.
I got a resin injection type home repair from Halfords for my Mk1 Golf and that did a good job. I would not use it in the wiper sweep area.
These days the car is strengthened by the screen by as much as 30% and so a crack is usually needing a replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Passing
Fortunately my chip is well away from the wiper sweep area - so is definately worth a try. Only challenge is to now try get international shipping (Halfords doesnt ship overseas!)

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh well. Since you have had a good experience with the Halfords - I will get my sis in law to pick one up and mail it to me here in Dubai - Hopefully one to two additional weeks wont do an incremental damage. If it spreading, then definately have to replace the windsrceen

·
Registered
132 Posts
Chip Repair

All the kits look about the same - suck out the air and squirt in the resin to take its place. Wait a wee while and cut off the excess before it hardens fully. I would get the best deal you can find and that is often not Halfords which is just convenience

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a closer look and feel at the chip. Appears to be an 'internal blast' i.e outside surface is totally smooth. Will the kit do any good unless I scrape away at the chip (I am not to keen on trying to do that) I would assume that if the glass isnt actually rough/cant feel the chip I cant actually inject any resin into it ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
chips

Had a closer look and feel at the chip. Appears to be an 'internal blast' i.e outside surface is totally smooth. Will the kit do any good unless I scrape away at the chip (I am not to keen on trying to do that) I would assume that if the glass isnt actually rough/cant feel the chip I cant actually inject any resin into it ?
The resin works by filling the hole through creation of a reduced pressure around the hole. If your implosion was created by a hole on the outside then I would expect that by filling with resin you will reduce the appearance but probably not remove it all together - the car I did with the resin kit was similar. Main thing is to bond the screen back together so that it does not spread.

If you don't have a hole on the outside of the screen then the resin method is not going to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts