·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Hmm... very cheap as well, £242!

If you go for it, remember and post up your thoughts/experience.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This looks interesting... but there is no way it can run that much power without causing problems, at the very least with the DPF. I've copied and pasted below how the chip works... It's not going to give you the quality of a remap, as it only changes one value, around which the car adjusts itself. I'd rather pay twice the money, and know it was being setup 'properly'. The power claims seem a little over the top, considering full remaps are quoting around 280BHP.

"General installation instructions
As all common-rail diesel engines are designed according to the same principle the power chip can be used on all Common-rail engines with Bosch, Siemens, Delphi or Denso Common-rail diesel injection systems.

The cable set is installed between the Common-rail pressure sensor and the Common-rail pressure pipe.
Normally the pressure sensor is situated in the middle of or at the front end of the pipe. It’s always a 3 pin plug.
1 Rail. 2 Inlet from high pressure pump. 3 Rail pressure pump. 4 Pressure control valve. 5 Runback from rail to fuel tank. 6 Flow limiter. 7 Injector hose

Placing of the module
When the plug is attached to the pressure sensor you must assemble the 9 poled D plug so the cable is connected to the power chip.

Testing and adjustment
It’s now time to test that everything is assembled in the right way. The tuning module has 2 LEDs: A red and a green one. Switch on the ignition without starting the car. Clear green light means that you can start the car.Do NOT start the car if the red LED lights. Switch off the ignition, remove the key and check whether everything has been assembled in the right way. Try again.

The engine is now running and you are ready to test and calibrate the module. Bring the chip with you so you can make the adjustments from inside the car. The small screw of the module is set to 0.

You have the possibility of adjusting the module to fit exactly your car. Normally you should not set the power higher than approx. 85. Switch off the engine when you make the adjustment.

Power adjustment of cars with Siemens, Delphi or Denso engine management should normally not be set as high as 85. Maximum should not exceed 65.

A good way to detect the increased power is to accelerate at full throttle from approx. 1,800 rpm to 4,000 rpm in 3rd gear. Use the same reference acceleration each time to feel the difference.

Remount the power chip in the engine compartment when you have completed the adjustment."

T

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...If it seems too good to be true... then it probably is.

...I've looked at 'trick the ECU' devices before (on petrol engines) and they all claim 20% power improvement and fuel efficiency... Yeah? well why the F. didn't the manufacturers think of that when they made the car?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have some experience in engine R/D (with a Ph.D in direct injection systems for gasoline engines and work with CO2 optimizations on diesel powered vechicles), and I can for sure tell you that 20% reduction in fuel economy by simply altering the duration of the injection signals is impossible. Today, millions (and lots of them) are being spent to reduce the fuel consumption from engines. If all you needed to do was to install this magic tuning of the injection durations, I tell you this company who sells these things would be bought instantly by one of the big OEM's..

Similarily put, increasing the power output of the engine by this amount using the same technique is well... hmm.. most probably not possible without at the very least compromizing the soot levels which would compromize the dpf regeneration cycle.

Please prove me wrong, I too have a 3.0 tdi and am looking for more punch, I'm just a bit sceptical to all this without seeing some hard evidence from a calibrated dyno in terms of a torque curve for example.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your thoughts people....

£250 for even a modest gain would be acceptable.... but I guess looking at the bigger picture... if I am going to want more than a modest gain I am going to have to take it to someone to get "a proper job" done, then the £250 would be a waste...

Also, if this little box simply increasing fuel pressure and note adding a precribed "map" for the engine, I am a little dubious about the whole thing, hence asking for peoples thoughts...

I guess QST, ABT etc are the ones for the job......

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have some experience in engine R/D (with a Ph.D in direct injection systems for gasoline engines and work with CO2 optimizations on diesel powered vechicles), and I can for sure tell you that 20% reduction in fuel economy by simply altering the duration of the injection signals is impossible. Today, millions (and lots of them) are being spent to reduce the fuel consumption from engines. If all you needed to do was to install this magic tuning of the injection durations, I tell you this company who sells these things would be bought instantly by one of the big OEM's..

Similarily put, increasing the power output of the engine by this amount using the same technique is well... hmm.. most probably not possible without at the very least compromizing the soot levels which would compromize the dpf regeneration cycle.

Please prove me wrong, I too have a 3.0 tdi and am looking for more punch, I'm just a bit sceptical to all this without seeing some hard evidence from a calibrated dyno in terms of a torque curve for example.
'
Exactly!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts people....

£250 for even a modest gain would be acceptable.... but I guess looking at the bigger picture... if I am going to want more than a modest gain I am going to have to take it to someone to get "a proper job" done, then the £250 would be a waste...

Also, if this little box simply increasing fuel pressure and note adding a precribed "map" for the engine, I am a little dubious about the whole thing, hence asking for peoples thoughts...

I guess QST, ABT etc are the ones for the job......
'
£250 for bugger-all would be horrendous though... which is what I think you would get by 'shifting' the map with one of these boxes IMO.

I think you are right, the only 'sensible' way forward is through a proper remap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts