Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Firstly apologies if been posted already a hundred times... Can I check my oil through the MMI? Gone through the whole thing and can't find the menu.

I have done 3,500 miles and I am wondering whether she needs some oil...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
From what I understand, not all models have that MMI capability. Do you have an orange dipstick under your hood (bonnet)? If so, then you probably don't have the MMI feature to view the oil level.

Try opening your hood with the ignition on. I think that's when the oil level will automatically appear on the MMI screen (IF you had that feature on your car). I don't have it on my A5, which completed production in late January.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If you have the MMI feature, you will find it in the top-level menu when you press the button marked "car" ...near the bottom of the list.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have the MMI feature, you will find it in the top-level menu when you press the button marked "car" ...near the bottom of the list.
Does the S5 without nav. have this feature?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Does the S5 without nav. have this feature?
Hi SFW, it not only depends on the features you have installed but apparently when the car was built. The earlier cars (even with Nav) rely on a dipstick, the later builds with the MMI show the oil status.

I do not yet know the "cut off" date for when the transition to MMI status happened, I will check my car tomorrow when it arrives (S5 with Nav), which won't completely answer your question. I suspect that there is a Euro owner that may be able to fully answer the question though.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Same here, except mine's an A5. MMI Low with oil-checking abilities (a new super-power breed!?).

My manual says the car needs to be warmed up before you check it. I've checked it on start-up and it does not display the oil level, but after driving around for 5 minutes, I was able to bring it up on the MMI screen no problem, on the go (ie: driver's door closed).

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Anyone in the US have oil level check on MMI?

Hi SFW, it not only depends on the features you have installed but apparently when the car was built. The earlier cars (even with Nav) rely on a dipstick, the later builds with the MMI show the oil status.
I don't recall ever seeing any posts from members with US spec cars having this "MMI oil level check" feature. I'm wondering if this perhaps could be yet another feature that varies based upon what country the car is manufactured for.

Anyone from the US have this feature?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for he answer.
This is a really good feature ... a much more easy way to check the oil level.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing any posts from members with US spec cars having this "MMI oil level check" feature. I'm wondering if this perhaps could be yet another feature that varies based upon what country the car is manufactured for.

Anyone from the US have this feature?
I am wondering the same TX...we see what mine has tomorrow, but I suspect that my build date is earlier (car was originally here in the US at the end of February '08)...so we may never know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Thanks for he answer.
This is a really good feature ... a much more easy way to check the oil level.
As TXcarguy says, if you open the bonnet then when you next select the ignition on the oil level automatically shows on the MMI if you've got this function.

I would guess there must have been some older-type systems (ie with the dipstick) working their way through the build process as mine was built last week of Nov 07 and has the MMI system with no dipstick (on a 3.0 TDi) but I've also seen posts for people with the same engine built in Jan 08 who have a dipstick. Either they weren't told the whole truth about build dates or else there has been some kind of transition period where it's luck of the draw which type you get.

Incidentally, I've now done 9600 miles, the oil level hasn't budged from new (about 5/6 on the scale) and it's still telling me over 10,000 miles until next service (both oil change and service inspection are the same). Not bad, I reckon!

I would expect all new-built cars from now to have the MMI system though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It is depended on oil sensor.

Cut off VIN is 8T-8-22500. It was in the middle of Dezember 2007.

My car was made in November ... s***

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

My VIN is way beyond that (but yet I have a dipstick). More and more, I'm starting to conclude that this feature is available only on non-US spec cars.

So who/what is your source of information for that cutoff VIN?

·
Registered
750 Posts

My car was made in November ... s***
My VIN is much earlier than that cutoff VIN too, but I also have a dip stick (and no MMI display).

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree with TX that it may be country dependent. Mine was a late January build and has a dipstick.
I agree. I got my car 4/08 (ordered 12/07) and mine has a dipstick as well. For what it is worth, my last car had a sensor for oil levels rather than a stick, and although it seemed to work well, I was always a tad nervous that I couldn't do that visual check to make sure. Although it is a neat feature, I am happy to be back to the old way.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree. I got my car 4/08 (ordered 12/07) and mine has a dipstick as well. For what it is worth, my last car had a sensor for oil levels rather than a stick, and although it seemed to work well, I was always a tad nervous that I couldn't do that visual check to make sure. Although it is a neat feature, I am happy to be back to the old way.
+1 On the BMW (eh-hem...other car), there is no dipstick and you can only go by the computer...have had the car for over a year and it is weird not being able to see the oil...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.