Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of an A5 as a company car. Unfortunately my employer's car scheme makes any extras particularly expensive and I can't justify the ££££££££ for B&O, AMI and the crappy SatNav that one has to buy in order to get the AMI. So, what are my options for connecting an ipod or other music sources with just the basic 'Concert' head unit?

From reading various threads, I think the answer is:

• I can have 2gb of MP3s on an SD card.
  • There's no obvious way of connecting an ipod, aside from one of those FM transmitters (which I won't use, as I know one day I'll fall to the temptation to retune whilst driving)

Somebody did mention the idea of one of the Denison ipod interfaces, so I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has done that. I did hook one of those to the VW head unit in my van and am pleased with the result. However I'm a little nervous of attacking a company car to fit one, especially if nobody else has trodden the path before me.

Does anyone else have any good solutions?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yeh i was wondering this aswell, i am in a simular situation. I'd like to get a denison 500 thingy. i dont see why doing mods should effect the lease agreement providing that you have proper insurance and return it after the term without the mods on.

I have seen some people say on the fourm they are planning to install a denison, but i dont know if anyone has done it as of yet.

as i'm only getting the 1.8 id really like to see if i could chip it, but dont know whether i should bother or not as its a lease.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 2Gb SD crd is one option but the CD player can also read CD's full of MP3s or WMA files produced by Windows Media Player. You can get around 10-15music CDs onto one data CD and the interface is nice and clear allowing you to navigate around. Obviously you can get much more music on an iPod but its a nice compromise.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ah ... so the MMI controls will allow you to navigate the file structure on the SD card or CD? Does the MMI display show MP3 tags e.g. track name/artist etc? If this is the case then the Dension gateway would seem a costly option for me given that I appear to be the only person under 50 who doesn't have an iPod.

I assume playlists aren't supported.

Would be really useful if someone could give a definitive summary of the music browsing/playing functions available without Sat Nav.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"Ah ... so the MMI controls will allow you to navigate the file structure on the SD card or CD? Does the MMI display show MP3 tags e.g. track name/artist etc?"

yes, if you get the navigation package, then all the ipod functions are supported through the MMI. It will display all MP3 tags

Otherwise, the Bose stereo doesnt do any of that stuff. I have had good luck with MP3 cds. I didnt think the B+O system was worth the $850

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm completely confused. From everything I've read, MMI is standard on all A5's regardless of whether they have sat nav or not. The only differences for audio playback are are:
- the location of the control (dash mounted on non-sat setups)
- a slightly smaller display (6" versus 7"?)
- the lack of a couple of DSP control options
- no AMI option

So, my question still stands. On cars without the sat nav option, does the MMI still allow browsing of the MP3 file structure on SD cards and CDs?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, if you get the navigation package, then all the ipod functions are supported through the MMI. It will display all MP3 tags

Otherwise, the Bose stereo doesnt do any of that stuff. I have had good luck with MP3 cds. I didnt think the B+O system was worth the $850
Thanks Ham

Just to be clear though (because there are various other threads on the audio connectivity possibilities with SatNav / AMI / B&O), I and the others above were asking about what's possible with no SatNav, the baseline 'Concert' headunit that's supplied in the UK and no AMI (because that's only available once one spends £2,000 / $4,000 on SatNav).

I guess this gets complicated given there are clearly regional variations in spec, but I think you're saying that MP3 tags don't work with the 'stock' head unit?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi there...

I've been a 'silent' member for a while now, but thought I could add my two pennies worth on this.

I've got a UK 3.0TDI without SatNav, and can confirm that you can navigate through MP3s on both CD and SD through the dash mounted controls, aswell as on the steering wheel. It also picks up and displays MP3 tags - on CDs it updates the info, as it plays each track.

I have been into big stereos on all my previous cars and I've got to say the stock setup is absolutely fantastic. Crystal clear and bassy as ya like...

Cheers,

T

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Timbotdi. That's really useful info (confirming and expanding what Rambo added above).

Does anyone know if there's any sort of auxilliary input connection on the basic Concert unit? In other words is it possible to play an external device (such as an ipod) through the stereo, even if one can't control the external device from the stereo controls?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The external connections (such as USB and ipod) require the connectivity option to be selected.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks DD. Just to be clear, by 'connectivity option', am I right that you mean the 'Audi Music Interface' which in turn requires SatNav? (beyond my budget / cost-benefit tipping point). Or, is there some other connectivity option?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The music interface is the Audi option. Others have mentioned that 3rd party retro fitting is available.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
im reading this thread and im confused, whats the difference between AMI and MMI??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Jen,

AMI is the Audi Music Interface...and allows you to plug in an iPod etc...MMI is the Multi-Media Interface and is the the screen and joystick control to allow you to view/adjust all the settings for radio, sat nav, etc...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
ah ok i have MMI i get so confused sometimes with you guys and the different lingo

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I'm simultaneously learning about and becoming confused by AMI, MMI, ASI, KFC and KGB, but have still not got to the botom of this one.

It sounds as though there's confusion as to whether the non-SatNav+ Concert stereo setup will allow integrated control of an ipod via a Denison 500 Unit (anyone know?). If it doesn't, then another option might be via a Denison 100. If this works as I think it does (being very similar to the unit I fitted to my VW van, per above), this hooks the ipod up to the CD changer port which I presume will be available on the back of the head unit, and tricks the head unit into thinking the ipod is a CD changer. Control is therefore pretty basic compared to a full integrated interface, but one can still use the controls on the ipod itself (if you configure it that way).

So, has anyone gone this route, or investigated it, or know what connectivity is available on the A5 Concert unit (without SatNav+)?

·
Registered
714 Posts
OK, I'm simultaneously learning about and becoming confused by AMI, MMI, ASI, KFC and KGB, but have still not got to the botom of this one.

It sounds as though there's confusion as to whether the non-SatNav+ Concert stereo setup will allow integrated control of an ipod via a Denison 500 Unit (anyone know?). If it doesn't, then another option might be via a Denison 100. If this works as I think it does (being very similar to the unit I fitted to my VW van, per above), this hooks the ipod up to the CD changer port which I presume will be available on the back of the head unit, and tricks the head unit into thinking the ipod is a CD changer. Control is therefore pretty basic compared to a full integrated interface, but one can still use the controls on the ipod itself (if you configure it that way).

So, has anyone gone this route, or investigated it, or know what connectivity is available on the A5 Concert unit (without SatNav+)?
What he said.

I think there will be a growing number of people interested in these threads. Has anyone emailed Audi Customer Service for a definitive response?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts