Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Father... (read; dear members)

I am not selling the A5 due to looks. The A5 and any Audi in general I think make great cars. Hence, still staying with Audi (had 3 already, the RS6 would be my 4th). I know I will get a certain level of quality both in and out of the car. I feel Audi is ahead when it comes to the interior. Everything feels like it's gone through a good amount of R&D.

So why the change to the RS6 Sedan? I simply want more power under my foot and drive a beautiful car that can also become a bit more practical every day user for more than 2 and possibly a little junior :)

The official pictures don't make the RS6 justice I think. In person... this car looks big with quite subtle but still kind of aggressive styling. I love the diffuser on the back of the car.

I haven't actually made the order yet, but I've discussed with a sales man and if Audi accepts my buying price (basically their invoice) I'm probably taking the car... I just need to do a test drive first of course. Probably gonna be in an Avant / station wagon (yuck).

I'm expecting an answer from Audi the coming. Crossing fingers!

But until then, and the main reason I post this...

Have anyone here driven the new RS6? The 580 HP version. Can you compare? What's the difference in all out grunt and power compared to the 3.0TDI that I drive now? Will I so to speak "shit my pants" when flooring it for the first time or what? I want that to happen... :D I just want to know that there is enough power under the foot to last in any situation I encounter, so be it an old fart, or a pushy youngster with a riced out japs car.

Would be nice to hear your personal view on power and "feel" of the car when driving. I'm not too keen on the automatic gearbox, but it has paddles which is a cool feature when driving hard / on the track. But I could easily ditch that for a stick.

Well, please post your thoughts. Am I stupid for changing to the RS6? Are you jelous (it's ok)? Will I be happy? Will you be happy? lol. I'm sort of still in a buzz about the RS6 I guess.

Btw, here's a picture of the sedan that I've sat in twice (on two difference occation) and done the most part of the thinking, should I or should I not.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I test drove the C6 RS6 Avant yesterday. It's a beast, but it isn't frightening. You can drive it as quickly or as slowly as you like and it's quite happy.

I can't speak for the 3.0TDi, but coming from an R32 it's quite different. The Golf is always eager for more, and more, and more. The RS6 doesn't drive that way, as many observers have said it's not an amazingly involving drive, but then it's a 2000kg plus executive missile. And for that reason, I like it. If I want puppy like fun I'll get in the Golf. If I want comfort, speed and a good dose of fun I'll jump in the RS6.

Build quality as you will have seen is excellent. The noise of the V10 is fantastic when you put your foot down. The up-change gives a good 'parp' from the exhaust when floored.

However, I have to say I think you'd be absolutely mad to buy one of these cars new. Here in the UK, the OTR price is £78k for the Avant (before options). There are well spec'd ex-demo models with 2000-6000 miles (6 months old) on the clock that are available for £20k less than the OTR price, and prices are continuing to tumble.

For this reason I'm looking at an ex-demo car. However if you're happy to throw the equivalent of £80k at an RS6 and not worry if you lose a lot of cash then go for it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not fair... I wanna live in Sweden as well! Where the car-prices are 50-70% less than just a couple of hours drive away here in Norway.

Yes, the A5 looks the best. But nothing can compare to the share brutality of the RS6. Wicked ride, söta bror!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the Sedan version weights in at 1970kg. So it's some 70kg less. I like having some extra weight on the car though as it feels a lot more planted on the tarmac.... Light cars are very easily affected by wind and are often nervous in comparison and doesn't feel as "safe".

I'd definitly be mad to buy one for the official price tag. I agree. With a global economic crisis it's not really the best occation to buy any pricey car. But I'm not that affected though as I'd not involve the bank, more than taking out ehum.. a good amount of money. It'd be shit crazy to take a car loan for such an expensive car. The monthly bills would be crazy high. You'd have to have a hefty monthly salary.

Your review of the performance is somewhat what I want from the car, but maybe did not expect it to be that "dull", or maybe that's not what you said? You don't seem very "hey shit this car was fast!". It sounds like you say the power curve is a bit too "perfect". It should instead have an increasing power delivery curve. It would give it a fun ketchup kind of power delivery. But then again, the A5 which I've got acustomed to have a.. what shall we call it.. "run out of ketchup" feeling as soon as you go past a certain number of revs, typical diesel. Which doesn't really help when driving "spirited".

I like "drifting" and the A5 currently does good through and around round abouts. Glad it atleast have 60/40 ratio :)

About the price I "wish" to pay, it's a 12-13% asked discount if I do the math correctly.
This amount is probably the first year's loss in value. I've bought 3 new cars past 2 years and I know what "loss in value" is and it's a lot you pay to say you're the first owner...

Thing is though, the Sedan version is brand new and is probably gonna be a more popular version than the Avant. So I don't think the prices will drop as bad as you picture, atleast not for the Sedan (i hope!! hehe). The Avants on the other hand might drop even further due to the new maybe more popular Sedan model. Maybe that's the effect you see now in the UK. Here in Sweden the prices don't fall that bad.

I've seen some used / almost new 08 RS6es on sale here in Sweden and there's only one or two cars that are under the price I've asked to pay for a brand new one.. but with a good discount.

I'm probably not going to buy unless they match my offer. But the ultimate decider is still the test drive. It will have to be an awesome drive in order to make the switch.

Btw, can you "power" slide out of corners? Or are you not into that? I like playing around and driving like an ass (but of course not endangering anyone else but myself!).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not fair... I wanna live in Sweden as well! Where the car-prices are 50-70% less than just a couple of hours drive away here in Norway.

Yes, the A5 looks the best. But nothing can compare to the share brutality of the RS6. Wicked ride, söta bror!
Emmigrate! Move to Sweden, keep your job in Norway. Problem solved :) Bitch of a commute though.

Btw, I saw an RS6 Sedan (!!) from Norway at Mantorp Park Raceway in Sweden fall 08. I just recently heard the production actually "started" around september. So it must've been a very very early production (demo?) car...

I walked a few times around it... lol... first time I saw an RS6 sedan. Didn't know they existed really. Thought the RS6 was a Avant (Kombi) version only... (which I've always though sucked!).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quick question to anyone that have the answer. Does the RS6 not deliver power with the ration 60 to the rear and 40 to the front? If not, dammit... that's a major minus point.

Just saw this in a video from Fifth Gear where the driver said that "when needed to, as much as 65% of the power can be delivered to the front... so there is vertically no oversteering... " .. i WANT to oversteer. :) I like powering out of turns with the A5 and spinning loose nicely and controlled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's it, the power delivery is very linear. Don't get me wrong, it's a very very fast car.

As for getting the back end out, not something I'd plan to do on a test drive! The car is designed to keep you on the straight, it's not going to power slide like an R8.

The saloon (sedan) is only coming to the UK in very low numbers, it's not expected to sell many units.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Less numbers, better resale value :) That's a good thing.

A heck. I'll await the response back from the sales man before I go ahead and decide too much. Don't want to pump up my hopes and if all fails get really bummed out about it.

I wonder though, are there other cars out there for the same amount of number that would be a better choice?

There is the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, a lot cheaper.. same amount of money. But I am not sure about that american "quality" (it has improved lately) and also GM is hurting financially right now.

I don't like BMWs, or mercedes. Only Merc would be the C63 AMG black edition. It's sweet. But a coupe. Want to get away from that type of car.

It should be rear wheel driven or atleast 60/40 ratio.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Awesome car but not a head turner like the 5 though.

I saw a navy blue RS6 Avant yesterday at the beach and I swear I was the only person who knew what it really was.

FYI down under the price is AUD 270k!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tell you though, the Avant and the Sedan don't look much a like if you stand looking at them next to eachother. The Sedan has more of an RS4 beafy look. It looks muscular, although not over done and exaggerated.

I also don't want a car that brags all too much about what's under the hood. That should be a surprise :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
I tell you though, the Avant and the Sedan don't look much a like if you stand looking at them next to eachother. The Sedan has more of an RS4 beafy look. It looks muscular, although not over done and exaggerated.
That's true, the sedan pics above look hot. I'm sure if you get the right body and wheel colour combo you'll achieve an understated menacing look.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would it be reasonable to say that the RS6 Sedan will perform like the RS4 Sedan on the track? Or is the weight difference that much that it will never be able to match the RS4?

I really wouldn't mind being able to take the RS6 Sedan to the track and feel that it can do some good lap times...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Less numbers, better resale value :) That's a good thing.

A heck. I'll await the response back from the sales man before I go ahead and decide too much. Don't want to pump up my hopes and if all fails get really bummed out about it.

I wonder though, are there other cars out there for the same amount of number that would be a better choice?

There is the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, a lot cheaper.. same amount of money. But I am not sure about that american "quality" (it has improved lately) and also GM is hurting financially right now.

I don't like BMWs, or mercedes. Only Merc would be the C63 AMG black edition. It's sweet. But a coupe. Want to get away from that type of car.

It should be rear wheel driven or atleast 60/40 ratio.
yea American cars def have a past with build quality. If u want a car thats just an absolute blast to drive though, id get it. 550 hp and 500 ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheels is going to make it just a monster. Ive seen it in person and its a beautiful car, i was even thinking about trading in my s5 on it but i have to go actually test drive it first

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna wait for a test drive as well. The first few CTS-V arrives in April/May here in Sweden. I've asked already to be allowed a test drive. Wasn't a problem. If I fall in "love", I'd rather buy the CTS-V than the RS6, simply due to the difference in price. For the €30k left over I can buy a lot of other fun stuff, such as track days, a lot more miles on the road. But as you say, gotta test drive it first. I aint buying a new car without a test drive.

Btw! I just had my A5 tuned properly and the right way by Vtech (Sweden) and man oh man. Now my A5 pulls like never before, atleast in 5th gear around 170-180kmh (110-120 mph). Somehow it actually feels like it pulls stronger at that speed than it does at around 60-70 in lower gear. Odd. I'm pretty sure my A5 is atleast 2-3 seconds faster to 200 now.

Anyway, what I mean to say is that maybe the A5 has lured me back... which saves me from dishing out over 100.000 euros on an RS6 sedan.

Gonna test drive one anyways though. I'm mostly interested in the RS-models simply for the sheer power the offer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys! I just got a call from the dealer who spoke with the big Audi corp. here in Sweden and they have a cancelled car they want to get rid of and it'd fit them to toss that one at me. It has everything I want...

Only thing is that it's Sepang blue. Is that color real ugly in person? I'm not sure I'm liking it on picture atleast.

I was also going to get an even better price on that car. :) So that means I'm probably for the first 1 year not gonna loose much at all on the car. It'd be fantastic to buy a brand new car and sell it a year later and possibly get all of the money back. Okay not all. It's gonna be more expensive simply to drive.

So what should I do... go for it or what? you decide! :D jk.. but I really would like to hear your opinion both on color and the wiseness in buying an RS6.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would love to be able to purchase the RS6 sedan or wagon. Not coming to the US. I have been in the CTS-V. A nice car but a bit under the S5 in terms of interior. Exterior is personal opinion. I like the looks of the new CTS models however the S/A5 beats it easily.

If you are looking at pure hammer your back power the CTS-V is probably a better choice if not a moddified ricer car. The RS6 is refined. The power is there however it is tuned to be smooth. I came from a modified STi. The S5 feels way slower because it is sewing machine smooth. However I look at the speedo and realize I am going very quickly it just doesn't feel like it. The RS6 vs. CTS-V will be similar.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah I agree. it should be a kick in the back. But if the surge forward is of the type where if the first time you do it, you pee yourself. It's a good thing :)

My A5 now with a bit over 300hp (tuned it a few days ago) now is pretty darn fast. Not sure I have to have more. For what purpose? Overtake even faster? :D

The A5s 3.0TDI also have a very smooth power deliver and it doesn't always feel that fast, but looking at the speedo and how quickly the numbers pass it really is fast.

I will still of course have to try the RS6 before I decide. I have get back with a phat grin on my face, that overcome the fact that the MPG will suck ass.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
GO FOR IT! It is a beast!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Testdrove the RS6 Sedan för 3 hours today... damn nice car, but I can truly say that the A5 is a splendid car as well and I can't justify the price tag on the RS6, period. Don't get me wrong, the RS6 is MOVES... but my remapped A5 does too! And the A5 looks and feels better behind the wheel. And I like stick a lot more.

I can tell you though, my interest in the RS5 sparked madly. Can't wait for the news on that car!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If even after a test drive of 580BHP RS6 you say that your A5 moves it means that our TDI engines are very, very good. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.