Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which out sounding silly im new to doing things myself but instead of spending money on an obd reader can I not just jack the car up and leave it on without putting the handbrake on to change them and im right in thinking the handbrake is only on the back wheels is that correct? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 S5 Coupe
323 Posts
You need a method to wind back the piston as it's a electronic brake, hence odb tools etc.

You can do this with 12v on the caliper itself, but if you are not confident then I would suggest to not do this.
I like most use vcds which has the option to do a brake services. There are others available.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Which out sounding silly im new to doing things myself but instead of spending money on an obd reader can I not just jack the car up and leave it on without putting the handbrake on to change them and im right in thinking the handbrake is only on the back wheels is that correct? Thanks in advance.
Where are you some members have VCDS, I have and would give you a hand!

·
Registered
695 Posts
No vcds is required to change the rears. You can simply remove the electric parking brake motor and wind it back in manually.
It is very simple and will automatically adjust when the new pads are fitted and the parking brake is applied.

·
Registered
33 Posts
VCDS not needed, I did mine with my Carista, but you don't even need to do that - just need to disconnect the caliper motor wiring harness, and put a 12v supply (form another battery, or a battery charger) over the terminals. There's a video of how to do it on YouTube. But for £40, just get a Carista then you can play silly buggers switching your optional extras on and off as well!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts