Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple question, but maybe with a more complicated awnser? =)

Is it possible to change the monocrome (red and black) on board computer display to the color display?

Whats needed aprox. cost etc?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not possible as far as i am aware !!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a reply on my mail.

They said that i would have to change the whole instrument cluster in order to change the screen.

And they didnt have any solution.

Anyone that can confirm this?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got a reply on my mail.

They said that i would have to change the whole instrument cluster in order to change the screen.

They are correct. I was looking into doing the same myself. I like the multicolor Driver Information Display. Part is easy to find but the labor is a pain. Also - I'm getting used to the monochrome display.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Got a reply on my mail.

Yes, that is true. You need to replace the entire instrument cluster.

And not only that, since the instrument cluster is a "protected" component (because it contains the odometer) Audi will often refuse to sell you a new one, other than the same kind that came with your car.

And if you can source the part somewhere else, an Audi dealer will have to install it with an online connection open to Audi so that the odometer info is transferred from the old cluster to the new one.

Workwise, I don't think it is a big problem... so if your Audi dealer does let you buy the part, they will likely also be able to install it for you. But doing it yourself alone is probably out of the question.

www.audiforum.us is a good site to ask about such things (old navplus.us), many retrofit things... there are some people who have had their instrument clusters upgraded for some Audis, like A8s, by sourcing the cluster online, presenting purchase documents to their dealers and having the dealers install them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thanks for awnser man. Yeah its a modern car, pretty hard to do like anything by your own on new cars now days. I remeber my first car, a Volvo S40 (surprised?=), I changed the background lighting of the whole instrument by replaceing the small bulbs to LEDs.

With the knowlege of how to do it, i think its pretty easy, cus the price of the addon. I think it was like 150€ here i Sweden, so i think most things in the back ar prepared from the beginning to use either display, so thats why i even bothered to ask.

Well going to the dealer here i Sweden is a dead end i think. I hoped to find a guide on the net or, maybe find someone that have it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.