Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered, I got the idea to do it from searching on this forum. But my question is who has done it? How happy are you with the results? And can anyone recommend a garage in or around Cambridgeshire? I’ve just been to my local and the bloke was going on about taking the exhaust off, something about the cat and the differential as it’s four wheel drive and it being “a big job”. If I was to believe the other guys who had it done on this forum I think the bloke didn’t have a clue what he was on about.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
For the 3.0 S5, you can buy the X pipe to replace the centre silencer. Not looked, but you may get an X-pipe for the V8 too!?

Yeah, sounds like your local guy doesn't want the job and doesn't know what he is talking about! The middle silencer is under the rear seats and well before the rear diff! The cats cannot be seen from underneath and are tucked up out of the way beside the engine.

A decent custom exhaust place like Longlife or Top Gear will be able to do it, in stainless for, I reckon, about £200-£250.

Also the downpipe silencers do make quite a difference too! Smokey Joe on here had his local exhaust shop make up some downpipes without the silencers for about £260 fitted. The V8 downpipes are very similar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the 3.0 S5, you can buy the X pipe to replace the centre silencer. Not looked, but you may get an X-pipe for the V8 too!?

Yeah, sounds like your local guy doesn't want the job and doesn't know what he is talking about! The middle silencer is under the rear seats and well before the rear diff! The cats cannot be seen from underneath and are tucked up out of the way beside the engine.

A decent custom exhaust place like Longlife or Top Gear will be able to do it, in stainless for, I reckon, about £200-£250.

Also the downpipe silencers do make quite a difference too! Smokey Joe on here had his local exhaust shop make up some downpipes without the silencers for about £260 fitted. The V8 downpipes are very similar.
Yeah I got the V8, I weren’t thinking of getting the X pipe, just straight pipes, I saw a post by another guy who got it done for around £80-100, I’m thinking if I get the X pipe after installation it will cost around the same as a custom stainless steel half system, so before going down the custom route was going to see how it sounds with the resonator delete.

That’s exactly what I thought making excuses to pass up the job, which is fair enough but just say that lol

yeah I saw smokeyjoes post, just thinking if I’m gonna spend that much might as well go for a half system, not Miltek because they’re about £750 for half system, I’m under the impression custom exhaust places can do a half system for about £400-500, yet to be confirmed these prices. Correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yeah, get prices from a custom exhaust shop. :)

Some of the branded exhausts have the brand name 'price' put on the top.

Yeah just chopping out the centre silencer should cost too much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts