Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. After living with the car for a month and more than 2,300 miles, and after noticing that the manual gives the name and function of every single knob, light, stalk, switch, etc on the console, steering wheel and instrument panel other than this, does anyone know definitively what the heck this thing is? From the second pic you can see what my best guess is. Am I right?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Correct!

I was just as puzzled, but I found a reference to it as a coin holder online somewhere.

Works great until you accelerate....

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I was confused as well.

Not the best coin holder i've seen. I miss my old coin holder that was in my Alfa GT. It was a rubber coin holder that actually gripped the coins. Was very useful.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I was told it was not a coin holder by the dealer. It was a placeholder for something on the automatics.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I was told it was not a coin holder by the dealer. It was a placeholder for something on the automatics.
The automatics have this "coin holder" as well. Following is a recent pic of a U.S. spec A5 Tiptronic that I took:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thats a weird thing... I always wondered what it was.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It could be the thermometer as volvos have a similar thing on the dash.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Where will the Canadians put their loonies and twonies......:confused:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wouldn't put money there. More reason for someone to break-in. Especially if its all quarters. :p

·
Registered
231 Posts
well there is a much more logigal answer.

on the A6 etc the entire centre console has its buttons switched around on RHD cars. volume buttom and nav, media etc switch sides.

on the A5 none of the buttons get switched around in te conversion to RHD apart from the handbrake buttons. therefore it is just a blanking strip for the appropriate market made to look like a coin holder

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, I does look like a coin holder.

I think that's kind of cheesy. Audi is all about understated sporty elegance and NOT showing off your money :) . The interiors are simple and uncluttered and here they are providing a nick-nac to display dusty coins :confused:

However, as Vin indicated above, it's better looking than a plastic blanking panel for an unused switch.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Anyone leaving coins in there can expect to get their window smashed by some kid (punk in the US!) who will put a stone through your window to steal a just a pounds-worth of loose change. Bastards.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
BTW... the slots are carefully designed to collect dust and be impossible to clean with a cloth or duster, necessitating the use of a vacuum cleaner of some description. They have even incorporated a little protrusion inside the slot to prevent the use of ear cleaning buds. Clever those Germans. ;)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts