Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Carbon Fibre / OEM Silver or Alternative?

• Carbon Fibre

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • OEM Silver

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Alternative (explain in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interested in opinions...

I've got a dent in one of my silver mirror covers (large stone on motorway) and a scuff on the grey rear valence (was cleaning inside of exhaust tips with a wire brush on drill and slipped grrrrrrrrrrr).

As I think it'll work well on the Meteor Grey I've been considering replacing both and a the front splitter with carbon fibre alternatives but would like to keep them OEM shaped, not into any Jap style rubbish.

Here are the carbon parts I'm considering....

Mirror caps, ebayer from China £70, risk of poor quality but at that price worth a gamble, anyone know of any other suppliers? : Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers for 2009 Audi A4 B8 S4 A5 S5 | eBay UK

Rear Valence, Eurogear quality component £300: Audi S5 Carbon Fiber Rear Valence 08, 09, 10 B8

Front Splitter, again from Eurogear £180: Audi S5 Carbon Fiber Splitter Lip 08, 09, 10 B8

Votes and comment/opinions greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Voted OEM silver Spinner. I'm sure the CF look nice in their own right, but I like the contrast of the silver, particularly as your base colour is fairly dark (about the same tone as CF) and might make the CF almost unnoticeable. Obviously a very personal thing though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Matt i voted silver too, that said i personally prefer body coloured mirrors than the chrome/silver/ali look ones.
im afraid as Dan says its really down to personal taste. i only like CF if its for function as alot of it appears boy racerish. that said the stuff you have shown looks pretty good :)

mind you what do i know about nice performance cars i drive a diesel :( hehehe

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now you see both your opinions are similar to mine and what's stopping me doing it.

I also feel that the silver is a great contrast. It's sort of like dark or colour matched wheels, the only time I've liked this was on an Ibis white and the owner had the outer lip painted to match. Looked the muts nuts but was a one off as on any other colour I really don't think it works.

I don't agree with you on the mirror colour match though Kenny, I think the silver mirrors work great on the S5/S-line but of course purely personal taste.

I could just do the rear valance (colour co-ordinated or carbon). If I was to do that I'd probably would also go for something more functional.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
yip totally agree mate, all personal taste. i meant more for the normal 5s. we all expect them on a proper one like yours i just dont like them on normal ones. mine are black and staying black.

styling is such a personal taste thing tho mate. good luck

oh and trust you to highlight carbon rear diffusers when im selling a stock s5 one haha

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL are you soz mate had no idea.

You haven't given up on the quad tip system from Milltek have you?

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Voted OEM silver Spinner. I'm sure the CF look nice in their own right, but I like the contrast of the silver, particularly as your base colour is fairly dark (about the same tone as CF) and might make the CF almost unnoticeable. Obviously a very personal thing though. :thumbsup:
+1 - agree...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Spinner I have both front and rear cd from eurogear and both look and fit great. I do not have the mirror caps but I think it might look great. I like the cd look and for the cost of own replacement stuff you might ad well go cv. Look at my photo album I believe there is a decent shot of the rear.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
My iPhone keeps correcting the c f sorry I'm not illiterate

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL thanks almost, nice to know the quality from someone that's got it. I'll take a look.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
LOL are you soz mate had no idea.

You haven't given up on the quad tip system from Milltek have you?
think i have given up on life at the mo lol but no its a used one i have laying about

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Spinner I have both front and rear cd from eurogear and both look and fit great. I do not have the mirror caps but I think it might look great. I like the cd look and for the cost of own replacement stuff you might ad well go cv. Look at my photo album I believe there is a decent shot of the rear.
i take it back, rear valance looks awesome :) but keep silver mirrors :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
here you go Spinner----

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
oops those dogs ate always getting in the way sorry

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
LOL thanks. Looks great, especially with the black trim! Notice you've also go the Lusch Touring Addition fog light fixtures, I've been planning on them for sometime now but awaiting a resolution for my brake cooling before deciding if it's those of the Racing addition which arent as good looking but can be used for ducting airflow.

Re the cf package, I have to admit I like the silver trim which is what made me ask for opinions in the first place. I'm leaning towards just doing the rear valance. As many have previously suggested the grey plastic one does let the rest of car down although at least not as badly on a grey car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't have CF stuff but I did paint my rear valance black while keeping the strip silver. It looks really nice!
Since your meteor is somewhat similar to my grey, I think cf will look great on the rear....I'd keep the mirrors OEM silver though.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Spinner-I think the C/F really improves the rear more than the front but a branch took out my front so I saw it as a sign, the mirror caps I would like to see in person or at least get a thumbs up from someone on this site before I made that plunge --not to say it would look bad but I do like the way some of the brushed aluminum looks especially the splitter on the rear (that I left on) and the mirror caps. I suppose it is one of those personal preferences that we keep talking about here on this site. Post some pics when you do make your final decision.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks ExhaustNote, IanHP1 did the same on his black S5 a few years ago and I have to say it looked great.

All the comments definately appear to be adding weight to just the rear valance. Think this is going to be my final choice. Just need ABZY to come up with another batch of S5 mirror caps and I'll be sorted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts