Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I hate it...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not getting that at all :confused: ... dark wheels just look dirty to me. Each to their own I guess.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
That's just stupid... for two reasons

1) it looks ugly as F. (but I suppose that's a matter of taste)

2) No one makes a carbon fibre wheel with carbon fibre spokes for a very good reason... they are too brittle for road use.

...If you want carbon, get the real deal from Dymag. Take a look at these magnesium spoked, carbon rimmed wheels weighing in at just 6kg (about 4kg lighter than most allows). Sweet... and about $2,000 per wheel!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Didn't know Blue Peter had turned their use of sticky-backed plastic to car wheel modifications! Looks horrible!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
...If you want carbon, get the real deal from Dymag. Take a look at these magnesium spoked, carbon rimmed wheels weighing in at just 6kg (about 4kg lighter than most allows). Sweet... and about $2,000 per wheel!

Not a bad price for carbon fibre wheels if you ask me.

Imagine those on the S5, 18kg - 6kg = 12kg a wheel saving, total weight loss = 48kg weight saving can just imagine with a few more changes how much of a performance difference you would have with these without any increase in power. MPG would be much better too. Shame they didn't look much better.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...plus, as a rule of thumb rotating mass makes a 5-fold improvement in performance compared to body-weight... in other words it would be equivalent to shedding at least 200kg of body-weight. Awesome!

...I think on the right colour car they'd look good... say Daytona Grey... Hmmm?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
...plus, as a rule of thumb rotating mass makes a 5-fold improvement in performance compared to body-weight... in other words it would be equivalent to shedding at least 200kg of body-weight. Awesome!

...I think on the right colour car they'd look good... say Daytona Grey... Hmmm?
I read that on the dymag website - is that actually true, I thought maybe it was just a marketing thing.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It is pretty much true... which is why a light-weight flywheel makes such a difference.

The reason for this is that the rotating speeds are quite high, so it take a lot of energy just to rotate/accelerate the masses, before the 'body' can be accellerated. Reducing the rotating mass is a great way of transferring more BHP to the wheels... and thus creating greater acceleration of the body... Kg for Kg, it's said to be about 5 times more effective than reducing body-weight on average, given the sort of rotating speeds and the overall masses involved

·
Registered
907 Posts
Pressumably it makes for quicker steering response too, due to reduced giroscoopic procession, and better suspension performance due to less unsprung wieght. Prof??

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Correct on the latter... but I doubt the gyroscopic procession is going to really factor given the magnitude of the other forces involved and the very small movement of the wheels at high speed.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Correct on the latter... but I doubt the gyroscopic procession is going to really factor given the magnitude of the other forces involved and the very small movement of the wheels at high speed.
Oh well, it makes a big difference on a motor bike!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...It should! The range of movement on a bike is tiny on the avis of the steering, but 'massive' (about 100 degrees) when the bike leans from one side to the other. Add to thies that the total package (inc rider) probably weighs 300kg?? then a modest 150N gyroscopically generated force is going to be significant... Hence dirt bike riders revving the engine in the middle of a jump to make the bike 'scew' flat in mid air and the engine (and rear wheel) decelleration when they throtle off brings it straight.

The same just isn't really applicable in a road car... That's Prof's assessment!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Oh Ian, now your'e bringing torque reactions into the equations as well! Every one else has nodded off now and gone to look for posts that don't require an anorak! Clearly you're not using your S5 to it's full potential if you can't make it behave like the dirt bikes in mid air! :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Word of the Day: what's an anorak?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.