Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks I’m new to this I bought myself a s50 (2010) two weeks ago.tomorrow I have a carbon clean booked hopefully to get any gunk removed and blown out,would anyone recommend a walnut blast as the car is now 11 years old.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 08 s5 getting it walnut blasted to clen out any carbon build up, from research walnut is the best way to clean the carbon build up. Just my opinion from a lot of reading
Just being nosey but how many miles has yours done my car has covered 70k and have no issues with it yet.a walnut blast sounds good but so exspensive like you say a lot of readings and videos

· Registered
252 Posts
100k no issues here I think its worthwhile as a preventative measure.
If you get rough running and poor cold start that could be a sign of carbon.
I dont think any of the others are worth a light, borescopes seam to suggest that as well. So it maybe the most ££ but the others seam a waste so you end up carbon clean anyway. I have read reports saying others can have issues.
Hope this helps
Where are you? I am taking mine to sheffield when i get it done. I thing from memory they quoted lees than 600 all done with before and after vids.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
100k no issues here I think its worthwhile as a preventative measure.
If you get rough running and poor cold start that could be a sign of carbon.
I dont think any of the others are worth a light, borescopes seam to suggest that as well. So it maybe the most ££ but the others seam a waste so you end up carbon clean anyway. I have read reports saying others can have issues.
Hope this helps
Where are you? I am taking mine to sheffield when i get it done. I thing from memory they quoted lees than 600 all done with before and after vids.
I live in the West Midlands (Coventry) and like I’ve mentioned I’ve only had the car for two weeks and all I’ve done is get new wiper blades and cleaned it 4 times already lol.I went to the Audi dealer yesterday and was quoted £875 for a full service but sod that I’ll find an independent garage somewhere. I look after all my motors and especially this one I’ve joined this forum to get any help and advice I can on looking after it and any advice from peeps like you is a bonus ..thanks by the way ,where are you based at bud.

· Registered
171 Posts
44,000 miles on mine when it was imported from Singapore, notorious for lots of city driving and sitting. Engine was pulled on arrival to have all the oil seals done and the dealer didn't even note any buildup worth doing. Mabey another 60,000 miles to go?.

Must be so many factors as you hear of carbon build up way before this mark.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
44,000 miles on mine when it was imported from Singapore, notorious for lots of city driving and sitting. Engine was pulled on arrival to have all the oil seals done and the dealer didn't even note any buildup worth doing. Mabey another 60,000 miles to go?.

Must be so many factors as you hear of carbon build up way before this mark.
That’s amazing have you had any other issues with the car.should I take my car to a garage to get a full check over but everything seems ok at the moment ..just piece of mind I guess.

· Registered
171 Posts
Pretty good for a SIngapore car, lots of niggly things like all the engine oil seals were all done before I got it, other than that

• some suspension bushes (control arms, etc)
  • rubber spring pads
  • bump stops
  • Lower cooling hose while access to bottom of car when seals being done
  • some of the engine connectors were brittle (singapore hard on plastics)
  • all of the fluids needed doing at 60,000kms (gearbox, sport diff etc) few $$$ there
  • couple of split CV boots (front outer and front inner)
  • spark plugs were done early

I scored pretty well on the mods list, with the previous owner fitting new Pzeros, Vossen Wheels, Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust, Throttle Controller, K&N filters, Carbon body kit.

Great cars, and I have no doubt very reliable with regular and high quality fluids and filters.

· Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Just my two pennies worth guys, I agree with most or all of whats mentioned above especially that these cars are tough and are also very keen on top quality oils and other fluids. I think that the simple and cheap carbon clean using that machine is good, surely less good than the walnut version so could be ok just as a precaution??? Good to measure emission gases before and after.

Reactions: Nesden361

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty good for a SIngapore car, lots of niggly things like all the engine oil seals were all done before I got it, other than that

• some suspension bushes (control arms, etc)
  • rubber spring pads
  • bump stops
  • Lower cooling hose while access to bottom of car when seals being done
  • some of the engine connectors were brittle (singapore hard on plastics)
  • all of the fluids needed doing at 60,000kms (gearbox, sport diff etc) few $$$ there
  • couple of split CV boots (front outer and front inner)
  • spark plugs were done early

I scored pretty well on the mods list, with the previous owner fitting new Pzeros, Vossen Wheels, Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust, Throttle Controller, K&N filters, Carbon body kit.

Great cars, and I have no doubt very reliable with regular and high quality fluids and filters.
Just my two pennies worth guys, I agree with most or all of whats mentioned above especially that these cars are tough and are also very keen on top quality oils and other fluids. I think that the simple and cheap carbon clean using that machine is good, surely less good than the walnut version so could be ok just as a precaution??? Good to measure emission gases before and after.
I had my car carbon cleaned today and what a difference already,car is idoling lovely and sounds much sweeter than it did before.he also did an diagnostic check and 3 faults failed although not serous ones 1 being a passenger door heated door mirror (short circuit) 2 being exterior door sensor again short circuit and 3 gateway energy management active what ever that means all fluids and oil readings ok so very happy for a car 11 years old .. quite happy with results.

· Registered
78 Posts
Wow - an 11 year old car in Singapore? You must be paying a fortune for that privilege!

Glad you went for the walnut blast though - those V8s are terrible for carbon build up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

· Registered
171 Posts
Wow - an 11 year old car in Singapore? You must be paying a fortune for that privilege!

Glad you went for the walnut blast though - those V8s are terrible for carbon build up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Sounds like you might be mixing up 2 threads :) I'm in New Zealand, my car is imported from Singapore.. We get most of their exports. No walnut blasting needed for mine.

· Premium Member
3,824 Posts
So what kind of Carbon Clean did you have done please???

· Registered
Audi S5 Black Edition Mrc Stage 2 no more
512 Posts
I live in the West Midlands (Coventry) and like I’ve mentioned I’ve only had the car for two weeks and all I’ve done is get new wiper blades and cleaned it 4 times already lol.I went to the Audi dealer yesterday and was quoted £875 for a full service but sod that I’ll find an independent garage somewhere. I look after all my motors and especially this one I’ve joined this forum to get any help and advice I can on looking after it and any advice from peeps like you is a bonus ..thanks by the way ,where are you based at bud.
If you live in Coventry then I would recommend you use Vass in Walsgrave. I have also heard good reports about Volks in Spon end .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.