Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I removed first spark plug driver side. Looked inside with a Boroscope. Can anyone tell me how to determine if you need a carbon buildup. I attached pictures. Car has 72k just got it. Don't have any of information on previous carbon cleaning. Installed a catch can already to help

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Well......dunno but I guess that with 72k miles on a V8 I would do a carbon clean anyway.....

Reactions: S5seko and ApoK

·
Registered
512 Posts
The thing is, you can't really tell by looking through the spark plug hole as the carbon gets built up on the back of the inlet valves.
As Simon says it will probably be ready.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is, you can't really tell by looking through the spark plug hole as the carbon gets built up on the back of the inlet valves.
As Simon says it will probably be ready.
Yes, I figured out that later. I think the day I will look into the intake side, I better clean it the same time. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 MY09 Audi S5
21 Posts
Yes, I figured out that later. I think the day I will look into the intake side, I better clean it the same time. Thanks.
Did mine at 112k km on my 09 S5.

Before Walnut Blast clean

After

All done (by my mechanic :) )

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed a Catch Can, that gets a little bit of oil each week when I check. That will surely slow the carbon build up.

·
Registered
2008 MY09 Audi S5
21 Posts
Wow that really clean. Walnut get the best results. How much did the mechanic charge for the cleaning. I am in Georgia USA, I need to find a good mechanic who can do it.
I am based in Australia. My mechanic only charged about A$715 (6hrs labour & walnuts). I also had new spark plugs (NGK platinums), fuel injector done as well. I asked about a catch can and he was not a fan due to something about possible pressure issues..

·
Registered
2008 MY09 Audi S5
21 Posts
Also had mag alloy intake manifold corrosion fixed (he has seen this before and knows a guy who does cast alloy welding repairs!), otherwise a new manifold is like A$5-7k here.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
He is a good guy for sure mate!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts