Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was all excited got my S5 finally on saturday after a 6 month wait.. Today the car will not start with the key in the ignition. But the car will start with the key in my pocket. Thats the first problem next i relized that after i finaly started the car the little red led on the driver door that suppose to be for the alarm stays lit after the car is on. So i read the manual and its says that if the light stays on more than 30 seconds after the car is on then there is a fault with the alarm. WTF....

Just FYI i washed my car today and everytime i sprayed water on the door handel the lights would flash.. I read on other posts that if the advance key doesn't work than its from the faulty door sensors and water but the funny thing is my advance key works. I can open the doors with out the key and start it too.

Well just two days and the car has to go back... I will be calling the dealership first thing tomorow. :mad:

Has anybody else had a problem with the car not starting with the key in the ignition or had the Led for the alarm on the door stay on.

Thanks in advance im sure you guys would know more than the dealership..

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Really sorry to hear about the problems you've experienced with your S5 only ONE day after taking delivery. While I haven't experienced the no start issue or the alarm LED light remaining lit problem, I am quite familiar with what you mentioned regarding the outside lights flashing when you spray water on the door handle. Essentially what's happening in that situation is that the water being sprayed with force against the outside door handle's lock sensor is triggering the locking/alarm to activate. When you have the key in your pocket while washing the car and you spray that handle with water, the car assumes you're touching the lock sensor and thus locks the car. The way to prevent this from occurring when washing your car is to place the key away from the car. (Note: For others reading this post, this applies only to those cars with the Advanced Key option.)

Good luck getting those issues resolved. Hopefully it's nothing major. I feel for ya. It's certainly not a good first impression of your brand new car.

I just had a thought. When you tried using the key in the ignition to start the car, did you have your foot applied to the brake pedal at the time? I know that's required when you use the Start button to start the car, but can't recall if it's required when you put the key in the ignition (since I never put the key in the ignition to start my car). It's worth checking out, though.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I just had a thought. When you tried using the key in the ignition to start the car, did you have your foot applied to the brake pedal at the time? I know that's required when you use the Start button to start the car, but can't recall if it's required when you put the key in the ignition (since I never put the key in the ignition to start my car). It's worth checking out, though.
I agree 100% with your thought TX, had a loan s5 without advanced key. On the manual M6 version clutch needs to be depressed too but you americans seem to only have 2 pedals in the main. Maybe a little mor exercise would help 3 every time for me.:D:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
What's the difference between an advanced key and a regular one?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
What's the difference between an advanced key and a regular one?

Did your Search feature go missing or something? :p Here, let me help you out... see here.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I might have missed something here but on my car if you place the key in the ignition, the start button will not function, instead you have to press the key in the dash to start the car. I found this out on the first day trying to drive the car out of the dealers showroom. I never place the key in the dash now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here is an update.. When you put the key in the dash the key does not lock into place like its suppose to it just comes right back out so if you hold it in the ignition and press it in the engine starts. According to Audi this a known issue and has to do with the programing of the car.. Just two days in and they have to reprogram the car..lol

The second problem with the alarm Led Light staying on is now gone all by itself..

I think this car has a mind of its own.. Maybe tommorow it will drive on its own...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It could be that the dealership failed to fully carry out all of the necessary programming as part of the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) process. From what I understand, the car comes from the factory in a certain programming mode that needs to be modified prior to delivery to a customer. Perhaps the dealership missed a step. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good luck Vaksub, hope you get it fixed ok.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Re: Washing the car with Advanced Key
I too discovered the effect streaming water on the door handle when washing the car.... it activates the lock/unlock sequence.
It speaks the conductivity of water from your body/key to the handle.

When washing the can, I now always keep the key out of reach.
I do not think it is healthy to have the car lock and unlock 20 times in quick succession.

This phenomena is also why is it not recommended to wee on an electric fence.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From what I understand, the car comes from the factory in a certain programming mode that needs to be modified prior to delivery to a customer.
Yes that is right, the car comes in "Transport-mode" with a couple of things not working until the dealer "unlockes" the transport-mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts