Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a call from the dealer today to tell me that he expects my car to be with them within next 2 weeks (B/W 29):)
What a dilema , do I take delivery on an 08 plate or do I wait a further 2.5 weeks and have it on a 58 plate ? :confused:

Worst thing is I work across from the dealership so will see it 'calling for me' every day -- agony !!!!

My head tells me to wait and have it on the 58 reg which also gives me time to sell the wife's car (she has told me she is having my B*W ) . Just wondered what you guys would do if you had to decide ?

PS anybody want to buy an 04 reg Zafira 2.0 DTI , fully loaded , 42k miles FSH , mint ?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If its only 2.5 weeks, then I'd wait. I took mine 2 months before the new reg, but its on a private plate, so future buyers will have to look at the reg date, not the plate!

My only concern would be that it's going to be a very busy time at the stealership on that day, so expect the car preparation to be 'rushed'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point about dealers being busy on 1/9 and rushed preparation -- reckon will look to say 3/9 if they are prepared to wait a bit longer for my money.

Last time I had a new car on the 1st day of a new registration was a 205GTI in 1990 on the H reg -- actually saw the salesman using a touch up stick on it !!!! and ended up having car resprayed a month later :mad:-- was young and impatient then !!! Now just old and impatient but hopefully a lot wiser

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think you should wait :)

BUT if it was me i don't think i could....... but i would have to force myself, as it will help when selling !!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My wife's A3 convertible is due the week before and I am going to let them wait. When it comes to selling, that two week difference could make a £500-£1000 difference in the price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes - I'd wait my car too is build week 29. I need to check with the dealer when its due. I intend to wait to Sept 01 for the new plate just to help resale. I wish we didn't have this system in the uk, but we do and i think you are missing a trick for the sake of 2 weeks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Mine arrives at the dealership next week. I'm waiting and its DOING MY HEAD IN!!!:(:rolleyes:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Mine arrives at the dealership next week. I'm waiting and its DOING MY HEAD IN!!!:(:rolleyes:
Hi Booster,
Have you been given an actual date? My dealership just says that the car is on the boat. They think that it may be ready this Saturday. If so I will not wait as I intend to keep the car for quite a time and having waited this long I am desperate to drive it:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I spoke to him last week and he said it would be available to view in their compound from Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

I work in vehicle finance and believe me, it is worth waiting for in terms of residual value: An 07 A5 3.0TDi trades at £30,875 and the 57 plate trades at £32,100 in this month's Glass's Guide. So £1225 difference and in theory those two cars could have been registered within one or two days of each other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wait until the new plate and pick up the residual increase as advised.

This year 1st September is a Monday, so nightmare for dealers.

I have heard of dealers letting you have the car at the weekend, if they trailer it (or you could) and keep it garaged until midnight on 31st August.

Mate of mine had an elise a few years back and keep it at the inlaw's farm and drove around their year all weekend and then drove it until the sun rose on the 1st the moment the clock struck midnight.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just had an email to say my car has arrived at the dealership. A month to wait knowing its sitting there is going to be torture!:eek:

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's great - hope mine has arrived in Salisbury. I am hoping to collect this weekend or early next week:D Where is your dealership Booster?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine is currenty at the dealers :( and im waiting, but my nice audi man is delivering it to me on trade plates on the saturday or sunday before, well thats the plan:rolleyes:
Wait until the new plate and pick up the residual increase as advised.

This year 1st September is a Monday, so nightmare for dealers.

I have heard of dealers letting you have the car at the weekend, if they trailer it (or you could) and keep it garaged until midnight on 31st August.

Mate of mine had an elise a few years back and keep it at the inlaw's farm and drove around their year all weekend and then drove it until the sun rose on the 1st the moment the clock struck midnight.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Where is your dealership Booster?
Stratford Audi. They have been brilliant from start to finish. Not my local dealer but they played ball with discount and I have been seriously impressed with their attitude to customers. I'm doing an 80 ,mile round trip to see it and can't even drive it back!!!! :rolleyes:

Still, Stratford is a lovely place and me and the Mrs can go and have lunch by the river!:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh Bugger my car has arrived, just had the call from the dealer. I was waiting until the new reg Sept 01 but was expecting the car to arrive mid August. This bloody new registration lark is a real pain. If it was a month ago i wouldn't be even considering waiting but do i wait a month the dealer won't like it or do I ask them for a bit more discount to take it now?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wierd, we have all been waiting with eager anticipation and now a completely artificial and arbitery (certain that is misspelt!) date throws a spanner in the works. Ironic, as the UK government introduced the 2 yearly registration in part to get away from this situation, but it seems to have made it worse. Whats new then, I hear you say?:rolleyes:
Personally, I shall just be happy to get my hands on the car as I do not plan a resale for many years (this is the one that has to last):)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Car has arrived !!! went to look at her yesterday -- gorgeous.

Have decided to wait until September so it is 58 reg but reckon will not be able to wait beyond the 1st !!!!!!

Zafira 2.0DTI now up for sale if anyone interested -- 04 reg , alloys ,a/c , e/m , met silver , 42k miles , FVSH , excellent condition - virtually unmarked , accept £5500 ovno

·
Registered
479 Posts
'ey up Shakey,

I'm in the same boat! Going to look at mine on Monday. Probably picking mine up on the 31st as I work in vehicle finance and a good mate of mine has a set of trade plates:D.

Good colour choice!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes me too - the dealer has been very good about it. He said the reg would make £1000 difference to the resale if you sold it within the first year. That tails off as time goes by, but will still be signifcant come the time to move it on. Only three weeks to go:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts