Is this Article Fake? (please post too)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car Magazine Test Drive RS5 vs M3...

Is this a fake? (please enter poll)

...I got into a debate in the pub last night about the RS5... which, as we all know, doesn't exist and no plans or dates have been released by Audi. Not so according to my mate...

CAR magazine have run a front cover story of a test drive of the 'new RS5' versus the M3. I haven't seen the article, but he sent a photo of the cover:

So has anyone esle seen this? Am I wrong? Have Audi actually made one for journalists to drive? ...Or is it just an entire fake article?

Help please, I bet £10 the car doesn't exist, Audi have announced nothing and you will be unable to buy one even within the next 6 months.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...Added a Poll to this thread... Please vote and post too if you have comments/info.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I read the magazine when it first came out. All the pics are fake and information based on internet rumours.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I don't believe it's a test drive at all, and It doesn't appear that they're trying to advertise any idea of them having a test drive. Some details are on the CAR magazine website, below:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret...s/Spyshots/Audi-scoop-special-RS5-spy-photos/

CARmag[color=black] said:
including spy photos and computer illustrations that strip away the disguise on this eagerly awaited challenger to the [/color]BMW M3.
Going by the photos it may look like they've taken the new RS5 for a test drive, but they've said that it's computer illustrations... and some excellent ones at that!!!

It would be illegal for them to lie in an article by saying they've taken the RS5 for a test drive, when it's quite clearly not true. And CAR Magazine, being a very popular magazine, wouldn't risk doing that.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Fake all the way..Very misleading report based on speculation and not hard facts. I'm surprised they didn't get done by advertising standards, I only bought a copy because I believed it was genuine. No more Car Mag for me..:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Fake all the way..Very misleading report based on speculation and not hard facts. I'm surprised they didn't get done by advertising standards, I only bought a copy because I believed it was genuine. No more Car Mag for me..:mad:
It is the normal way they would present a road test, and I bet thousands of people fell for that. But I think they would be able to defend their case relatively easilly, as long as they actually havn't referred to the article as being a road test.

Still, though, It looks to me like they were trying to portray it as an exclusive road test. Perhaps a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading or OfCom would be appropriate here.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Maybe I'm alone in thinking that this isn't an attempt to mislead (most of the people who habitually read Car, certainly those who subscribe to it, would tend to be rather more difficult to fool - wouldn't they?). Had this been a 'Max Power' cover, then rightly the world would have descended into RS5 Anticipation Meltdown as all over the country, spotty youths surreptitiously smuggled a copy home to waltz with uncomfortably under their musty bedclothes. But this is Car magazine for heaven's sake, not given to wildly uninformed fantasy. So I think 'fake' is a bit too strong Ian, really! :D

I received my copy a while back and whilst I was fascinated by the conjecture and A-level Photo-Shoppery, never once did I feel that it was any more than Car making a mini-Scoop of the fact that the much respected Georg Kacher had clearly got very close to some pretty reputable sources at Audi and that his article reflected what is probably a very credible take on the likely shape of the RS5 and can I have an award for the longest sentence on the forum please thank you. Phew.

Another reason why this article probably scuppered all the V10-twin-turbo chat on the line. If I had to take a lead from anyone, it would always be Car's Fat Georg from Germany rather than some desperate crack-smoking hack from Edmunds or the like.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Totally misleading article/cover

they did the same with the new M3 long before it came out.

they have an 'imaginary' test drive with photoshopped pics

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have not come across an issue of magazine that is harder to come across. I commute to New York City, and every single magazine stand/shop was sold out, even two of the Borders I went to. I was very intrigued although I presumed it was a fake, and went around to all of the news shops around Penn station, only to find tattered copies of last month's issue (although this one was released two weeks ago). finally a couple of days later, in a magazine store, i found it, the last copy on the stand and worn from people's hands. i bought it and felt extremely happy with myself :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
how do you guys know this is fake?
1 - There are no RS5s yet. A few possible mules using the S5 body but no RS5 bodywork has yet to appear.
2 - The pictures are clearly manufactured. Placement of the cars, the graphical representation of movement.
3 - Fake inglestat registration plate.
4 - No LEDs on rear lights (no mule has them yet but a real RS5 would)
5 - Car magazine saying: "CAR's artist impressions reveal exactly how the new Audi RS5 will look when it arrives in 2010" (note the "exactly" bit. Thats dodgy reporting).

I remember seeing their Jaguar XF artist impressions where they showed a cross between the S-type, one of their wild concept models and an XK. It was ugly as hell and it didnt look like the XF at all (once that was launched).

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - There are no RS5s yet. A few possible mules using the S5 body but no RS5 bodywork has yet to appear.
2 - The pictures are clearly manufactured. Placement of the cars, the graphical representation of movement.
3 - Fake inglestat registration plate.
4 - No LEDs on rear lights (no mule has them yet but a real RS5 would)
5 - Car magazine saying: "CAR's artist impressions reveal exactly how the new Audi RS5 will look when it arrives in 2010" (note the "exactly" bit. Thats dodgy reporting).

I remember seeing their Jaguar XF artist impressions where they showed a cross between the S-type, one of their wild concept models and an XK. It was ugly as hell and it didnt look like the XF at all (once that was launched).

ah.

glad i didnt buy it then =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts