Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first testdrive was an A5 3.0 TDI a month and a half ago. It was a great, quiet car. A pleasure to drive. I wanted one...

Found out about the S5 with the V8, testdrove one... woohoo! Great car. Wonderful engine, super interior and feel. And looks great!

Testdrove the S5 yet again after another week or two, and signed to buy one. I was a happy camper!

Now 3 weeks have gone since I signed and I'm waiting for the weeks to go by so I can get the car! I'm supposed to get the car in January. But I just cannot wait, and I keep feeling that the car will be too much of an exclusive car for my type of driving. I need an every day kind of car that I can put many miles on... and the S5 is just not that type of car I think. I'll only think about how much it will drop in resale value the day it's delivered. How I must not drive it all the time. Keep the miles down, refueling, etc.

So I testdrove the S5 again yesterday and found a few irritating things, such as the interior having a rattle / grinding sound from behind the dash. Should a car for this amount of money have these issues? And the V8 drive line is quite heavy, yet light. It's a weird feeling going about in slow speeds. And then I thought about ... parking the car. It's a big car. And we have small streets and small parkings over here. And where would I park it to ensure I don't get a door slammed into the side of it. It's gonna be difficult.

So I simply asked the sales person when I came back... "can I cancel my order for any reason?". The sales person twisted in the chair and said he wasn't sure, he'd have to talk with his boss about it.

But since I really am looking for a new car to replace my 350Z I said I'll buy a car either way, just not the S5. I need a better every day use car that is also safe in the winter conditions we have here in Sweden.

So I picked one on the floor of the Audi dealer: a dark grey metallic / pearl A3 2.0T quattro SP-B Ambition Exclusive edition with all S-line accessories, orange leather on the seats and 18" wheels. Testdrove another demo A3 2.0T quattro and dang, it's a great car with a moderate punch and good Audi-class interior... and a much better choice for an every date commuter / main car.

The best thing, I get it next friday already... I just cannot wait half a year (so it feels) for a car. It's too long. You have so much waiting time and during this time you might just change your mind about the car, and in my case... it was a good thing.

Wish you all fun with your S5s, but for me... I had to go with my gut feeling that I really don't need an S5, just a good car, an Audi.

hejdå

G

·
My first testdrive was an A5 3.0 TDI a month and a half ago. It was a great, quiet car. A pleasure to drive. I wanted one...

Found out about the S5 with the V8, testdrove one... woohoo! Great car. Wonderful engine, super interior and feel. And looks great!

Testdrove the S5 yet again after another week or two, and signed to buy one. I was a happy camper!

Now 3 weeks have gone since I signed and I'm waiting for the weeks to go by so I can get the car! I'm supposed to get the car in January. But I just cannot wait, and I keep feeling that the car will be too much of an exclusive car for my type of driving. I need an every day kind of car that I can put many miles on... and the S5 is just not that type of car I think. I'll only think about how much it will drop in resale value the day it's delivered. How I must not drive it all the time. Keep the miles down, refueling, etc.

So I testdrove the S5 again yesterday and found a few irritating things, such as the interior having a rattle / grinding sound from behind the dash. Should a car for this amount of money have these issues? And the V8 drive line is quite heavy, yet light. It's a weird feeling going about in slow speeds. And then I thought about ... parking the car. It's a big car. And we have small streets and small parkings over here. And where would I park it to ensure I don't get a door slammed into the side of it. It's gonna be difficult.

So I simply asked the sales person when I came back... "can I cancel my order for any reason?". The sales person twisted in the chair and said he wasn't sure, he'd have to talk with his boss about it.

But since I really am looking for a new car to replace my 350Z I said I'll buy a car either way, just not the S5. I need a better every day use car that is also safe in the winter conditions we have here in Sweden.

So I picked one on the floor of the Audi dealer: a dark grey metallic / pearl A3 2.0T quattro SP-B Ambition Exclusive edition with all S-line accessories, orange leather on the seats and 18" wheels. Testdrove another demo A3 2.0T quattro and dang, it's a great car with a moderate punch and good Audi-class interior... and a much better choice for an every date commuter / main car.

The best thing, I get it next friday already... I just cannot wait half a year (so it feels) for a car. It's too long. You have so much waiting time and during this time you might just change your mind about the car, and in my case... it was a good thing.

Wish you all fun with your S5s, but for me... I had to go with my gut feeling that I really don't need an S5, just a good car, an Audi.

hejdå
I got no rattling noises at all.
I live in central London and i have no problems parking the car at all.
I find the steering very good and responsive and not once has the car felt heavy

Find it strange that someone who wanted, and placed an order for an S5, would end up with an A3:confused:

Good luck to you though, gotta buy the car that fits with you perfectly:cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got no rattling noises at all.
I live in central London and i have no problems parking the car at all.
I find the steering very good and responsive and not once has the car felt heavy

Find it strange that someone who wanted, and placed an order for an S5, would end up with an A3:confused:

Good luck to you though, gotta buy the car that fits with you perfectly:cool:
Yes, I agree... it's a very strange car change. I just had to follow my guts this time and really look at what type of car I really need. But I knew that it would be said. :) If money wasn't a factor and I had "all the money in the world" to spend, then of course I'd probably end up with the S5 and take an A3 5-door solution as a second car. But for now though, it will be the other way around... err not meaning the S5 is the second car. Hehe =)

Well, maybe you feel you don't have any problems... but compared to a puny A3 there's a big difference as to which parking spots you can take use of. I'm not a bad parker, I'm actually quite good, but I think of all the other mofos out there that are not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine's and A5 - not an S5. I've only done 400 miles yet - so early days, but ABSULTELY NO RATTLES AT ALL, and I think it is great.

Understand your problem not wanting to wait for delivery, but for me (and I waited 6 months!), I find that if you really want something bad enough it is not only worth the wait, but you can also enjoy looking forward to getting it. I could make similarities to sex - but Andrew moderates the site!!

It sounds like the wait is only part of your problem. in any event, if you have the car that's right for you and it suits your lifestyle, then good luck to you. It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things.
Enjoy your A3 -

·
Registered
18 Posts
some let downs

after seeing all the pics and videos and putting this car in the pedistal, it's natural some of you may experience a let down. One thing that I noticed was how this car feels large and wide and it should really be compared to BMW 6 series. I have a BMW 335 coupe and it doesn't feel as tossible as the beemer. I have to say it's more of a sophisticated, touring/sporting car with little more focus on touring vs. the which beemer is more focused on sporting aspect.

Love the twin turbo of 335, it's very addicting but it's not as sophisticated as the S5. It also falls way short in the interior quality and sound of S5 can't be matched.

Bottom line is I liked the S5 (I drove the meteor gray/red interior-it seems like most of the US dealers got this specd car), now if only i can decide on the color :D

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I actually almost did the same as you swedie. When I ordered my A5 there was an absolutely *GORGEOUS* TT 3.2 Quattro, TOP SPEC, for cheaper than my A5. I almost went for that. But i'm glad I waited. I've got really little patience, but the patience paid off if my case. I'm glad i didn't go for the TT.

Nice to hear that you've stayed with Audi though.

... and no rattles here. If there was, then i'd be straight down to Audi, no questions asked.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Hi Swede,

Having had mine for 4 weeks now and clocked up nearly 2000 miles I have to agree with most of the comments here especially Elstimpo's.

The S5 is not a car you buy to worry about any of your daily life concerns. It has to be bought to enjoy as it has so much to offer and in my experience has bought so many smiles from friends, family and strangers but mostly me every time I start her up! You should have seen the looks my wife got when I let her drive it today! The feel good factor could be put in many ways that could get us banned from the site so like Ian I'll stop on that one as well ;)

Bottom line is you are thinking to practical to own a car like this and I believe have made the right decision for yourself. It would be a crime to spend so much, having that feel good factor but behind it all not feeling comfortable with it.

Good luck with the A3:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spinner, of course that's the case with the S5. It's a wicked car. But I can tell you that my black Nissan 350Z also turns peoples heads until they just about pop off their shoulders. I've had that feeling long enough now and I rather be a bit more anonymous in the future.

In the future depending on some cash flows, I might just get the RS5 as an exclusive second car for use on the nice summer day we occationally get to experience here in north. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later