Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
in another egregious example of discriminatory pricing, the base for the A5 starts at $39,900 ...... sigh...

A5 @ $51850 CAD... no thanks... i will take the S5 @ $50500 USD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Canaidan A5 prices

Already had this debate with Audi Canada on the announced prices. I have a written statement in my order that I will get a full refund on my downpayment if I do not like the prices. So far, I calculate at least $10k difference I can save if I go to US. This is gonna force me to cancel my order. Sorry Audi Canada !!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure you can go to the US? The folklore is that American dealers will not sell to Canadians.

FWIW I have the same statement in my order, but I decided I would need to save more than $10k by going south, so I am sticking with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Are you sure you can go to the US? The folklore is that American dealers will not sell to Canadians.

FWIW I have the same statement in my order, but I decided I would need to save more than $10k by going south, so I am sticking with it.
they will not grrrrrrrr (btw, is it even legal for them to restrict trade like that??)... but u can always use brokers.... even better if you have friends/family/relatives there.... i am working on it... and i hope it works out....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure what is legal. I don't think it is legal for Audi to instruct dealers not to sell to Canadians - I think it is contrary to NAFTA. On the other hand, the lawsuit to force the issue is likely to take a long time and cost a lot of money.

As for using a broker, by the time you pay the broker, the import tax, possibly the state sales tax, potential vehicle modifications, are you sure you can save enough money to make it worth the effort?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Brokers cost appear to be arounf $2200. So if you factor the delta cost of the car to be around $10k, minus broker fees you are still ahead by about $8k. Problem is by the time we get final pricing for all Canadian options, then cancel our order, then go thru a broker, then wait for the NEW order, we are now looking at a summer delivery time.

I have attached the dealer prices for Canada in this reply for all to see - there are ridiculously higher than the US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Brokers cost appear to be arounf $2200. So if you factor the delta cost of the car to be around $10k, minus broker fees you are still ahead by about $8k. Problem is by the time we get final pricing for all Canadian options, then cancel our order, then go thru a broker, then wait for the NEW order, we are now looking at a summer delivery time.

I have attached the dealer prices for Canada in this reply for all to see - there are ridiculously higher than the US.
$8000 is still a lot of money, no matter how you look at it. $8000 is about 20% of the car itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Final prices for Canadian options are out:
http://forums.audiworld.com/canada/msgs/120575.phtml
Nav is more $ than I expected, but the others are about what I thought. Depending on your option choices, this likely increases what you expect to save, I'd guess by $1000 or so.

The import tax (~6%) cuts about $3000 off your expected profit as well.
FWIW: My A5 in Canada will cost $58050. The same configuration according to the US website: $47000, so I'd save $11000, before tax and the broker, or a net savings of about $6000. It's reasonable to expect other costs, though - clearance letters, speedometer label changes in Canada, etc. So realistically I'd expect to save about $4000. Now its not worth it considering how rare the car is.

A year ago, I was sure I would buy my next car in the US. Now I don't think it's worth it. I'm pretty sure Audi repriced their cars carefully so that people would feel this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brokers cost appear to be arounf $2200. So if you factor the delta cost of the car to be around $10k, minus broker fees you are still ahead by about $8k. Problem is by the time we get final pricing for all Canadian options, then cancel our order, then go thru a broker, then wait for the NEW order, we are now looking at a summer delivery time.

I have attached the dealer prices for Canada in this reply for all to see - there are ridiculously higher than the US.
I agree - but I think summer delivery might even be optimistic. And there is still the issue of American dealers not selling to Canadians.

I'm not defending Audi here - I don't like paying more money than our nearest neighbours. But it seems that the situation is not going to change.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top