Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, thought I would start a new thread on this - I would really appreciate your help/advice on this one.

This is the first time both me and OH have purchased a brand new vehicle. My 1.8 auto is being built this week, but with the launch of the 2.0 I am starting to worry about resale values. Plus, whenever I buy anything, I never buy the entry level model/spec and always try to go for the mid-range.

I would have gone for the 2.0 but the auto box is not available yet, and after discussing with OH this is definitely a must-have on the new car. So now that I know we are going to accept delivery of the 1.8 auto when it arrives next month, I am trying to make sure I don't throw more money down the drain that I need to!!

As far as financing goes - was going to put down half and take out a personal loan through work (I work for a bank - APR 6.8%) for the other half over 3 yrs. But now I am starting to wonder whether some kind of 1 yr leasing deal would be better and to place an order for the 2.0 auto when that becomes available. Then hand back the 1.8 and purchase the 2.0 - really not sure.:confused:

I am not sure what is the best option in terms of financing/resale, not sure whether agreeing a trade in price now with the dealer is an option.

Can anyone out there who has more experience/knowledge of these kind of things advise me or give me a bit of guidance?
That would be much appreciated - thanks!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know nothing about the resale prices in the UK market, but in the US you would be better off sticking with the 1.8T.

If you sell in 3 years expect 50-60% back if you take good care of it.
A one year lease is going to be for the depreciation of the vehicle for the first year. Usually anywhere from 15-30% depending on the vehicle. So you will end up being out the one year lease money, then pay more for the car since it is a 2009 with bigger engine, which means more interest, and percentage wise probably end up pretty close in resale value for the time owned.

If you want the 2.0T to have a newer model and faster engine then get it, but if you just want to do this for resale, then I think you would be making a terrible decision.

Markets are big. Someone will want your 1.8T when you go to sell it. And if in good condition they will pay the right amount for it.

The 1.8T is tried and true. There are lots of tuning parts out for it and mechanics know how to work on it. The 2.0 might offer more in stock performance, but the person you sell it to in 3 years is probably going to tune it or want the best possible mileage, or you might want to tune it yourself.

Best part is that you get your car sooner by sticking with the 1.8T.
Purchasing a car brand new is always bitter sweet. You are paying for the priveldge of it being yours before anyone else. Regretting your decision will make you hate the car.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would be very reluctant to look at a one year lease deal. They sting you as you are only having the car for one year hence the payments are significantly more than if you took it over a longer period. Also, lease companies are at the back of the queue when it comes to getting cars. A guy I know works for a contract hire / leasing company and they are being quoted December or January at the earliest for any new orders and we all know that its currently 12-14 weeks for most of the range at the moment.

With regard to the 2.0T auto, it might not ever arrive. Audi are very cunning with their choice of engine / gearbox combo and if they put an auto with the 2.0T it would probably hit the 3.0Tdi tiptronic sales.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
With regard to the 2.0T auto, it might not ever arrive. Audi are very cunning with their choice of engine / gearbox combo and if they put an auto with the 2.0T it would probably hit the 3.0Tdi tiptronic sales.
I have to agree with that, as the 2.0 TFSI economy is very good and has decent performance to match.

You'll loose out too much getting rid of it after a year as it's the first year you loose the most after that it evens out more. If you want a little bit more power just spend another £500 a few months after you get the car and have it re-mapped, it should easily get 200 bhp and you will have the auto too. As for economy the 2.0 TFSI is only about 5% more eco than the 1.8 TFSI, yes it's good, but in your case big deal, a re-map will even the odds powerwise. As for re-sale I don't think you will have too much of an issue with that, after 3 years your car will be worth 50 - 53% of what it is now with the 2.0 TFSI it will be the same percentage, it will only be a bit more because it cost that little bit more to begin with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you all for your feedback. I hadn't actually considered that the 2.0 may not be available with an auto box. I am now sure that I am making the right decision in terms of model and financing - must have just been last-minute jitters about whether I was doing the right thing!!!! :eek:

As for the remap, the only thing that is holding me back from going for that is the potential impact on insurance. I may just give the insurance co a call to find out how that will affect my premiums.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
With everything I've read, all the leaks, all the rumors - everything, I mean everything, points to 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic coming next year or soon after. I would be willing to bet quite a bit on 2.0T quattro auto happening on the A5.

It will happen. It is only a question of when. Now, of course I don't know this for a fact, but all the leaked engine lineups, all the commentary that I've read - and it is plenty - points to this. History too, 2.0 TFSI quattro tiptronic is a familiar combination from A4 B7.

But that is just the quattro part. If you are only talking about 2.0 TFSI multitronic, I can say for a fact that it exists as a product listing already - the French are taking orders for it and list it in their pricelist. Now, of course as with the quattro, there is the remote chance U.K. won't carry but... but, I'm betting they will.

So my take: this time next year A5 2.0 TFSI multitronic is orderable in the U.K. since model year 2009 already. Likely 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic too (maybe model year 2010).

(BTW: 3.2 quattro tiptronic will also be likely replaced by 3.2 quattro S tronic, but tiptronic is a bigger question mark - they are leaving it on Q5 in U.S. but offering S tronic in Europe so who knows what happens there. Tiptronic might disappear from A5 entirely or it might not.)

Disclaimer: Just a lot of speculation gathered from a huge multitude of sources, but I'm pretty confident this is how it will go down. The A5 line-up will get a bit of a shaking in the coming 12 months for sure. So far I haven't been surprised by any of the new engines or transmission options that have surfaced in the last weeks other than 2.0 TFSI CO2 values (huge news!) and 2.7 TDI manual which I didn't see coming. There are very few things that really remain a secret when it comes to up-coming engine lineups and such, most curveballs to be thrown only by country organizations that may make odd choices as to which engines and combinations they are going to carry.

·
Registered
714 Posts
With everything I've read, all the leaks, all the rumors - everything, I mean everything, points to 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic coming next year or soon after. I would be willing to bet quite a bit on 2.0T quattro auto happening on the A5.

It will happen. It is only a question of when. Now, of course I don't know this for a fact, but all the leaked engine lineups, all the commentary that I've read - and it is plenty - points to this. History too, 2.0 TFSI quattro tiptronic is a familiar combination from A4 B7.
I'm willing to bet it will be a LONG time before you're able to get Quattro and DSG/S-tronic together on the lower end engines, if at all. Look to the A3 and you'll see what I mean. You can get a 2.0T with Quattro or S-tronic but not both together - you have to go to the 3.2 to get both and this is still the case as the current A3 heads into its last couple of years. This is how I believe Audi will protect the bigger engines against the likes of the new 2.0T which offers far more bang for your buck - you'll only get Quattro and S-tronic on the top end engines.

In the UK Audi have just announced that the 2.0T on the A4 will get Multitronic next. Their exact words are: "Towards the end of 2008 the unique-in-class multitronic continuously variable automatic transmission will be available for front-wheel-drive versions". So - no S-tronic and it sounds like no Quattro/auto combination for the moment.

Again, this is just supposition based on a bit of reading around.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm willing to bet it will be a LONG time before you're able to get Quattro and DSG/S-tronic together on the lower end engines, if at all. Look to the A3 and you'll see what I mean.
You a betting man? :)

Well, lets just make it a gentlemans wager with only our public reputation on the line... OK? ;) I'm betting, guessing based on everything I've read and heard, there is an A4/A5/Q5 variant released (at least pricelists) this time next year with 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic, available to order on some major European markets.

I hear what you are saying about the A3. I know 2.0 TFSI quattro tiptronic came very late to A4 B7.

I'm saying Audi will change their approach this time around because the new 2.0 TFSI is that good and the CO2 requirements of the market that bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not a betting man ;)
So even going by rumour, innuendo, leaked info and gossip - for me personally, I have waited long enough deciding which car to go for, placing the order and waiting for build, that I am not prepared to wait any longer. So I'll stick with what I've got :)

As with most (if not all) things technological there is always a bigger, better model round the corner, and it's usually cheaper too!!! I am however, somewhat comforted that aesthetically, the 2 variants will look identical to the average man on the street.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
As with most (if not all) things technological there is always a bigger, better model round the corner, and it's usually cheaper too!!! I am however, somewhat comforted that aesthetically, the 2 variants will look identical to the average man on the street.
This is absolutely true. Get an 2.0 TFSI a year down the road, there will then be something else on the horizon for A5. The facelift comes sooner, a model-year change to MMI 3rd gen or something. There is always something to "miss" - but most you miss if you never get anything and always only worry about the next thing around the corner. Same with most technology, really.

I was merely attempting to share information I believe is accurate, people can make of it what they will - everyone has to decide for themselves what is important for them and whose speculation to believe in too. :)

I think the A5 1.8 T multitronic is a great choice of a car! You'll love it, I'm sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.