Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying an A5 yet love the body styling on the S5 (shiny mirrors, front, rear and side skirt mods). An S5 is totally impractical for me as do big miles, also from what I am reading the 3.0TDI is the better car all round for driver experience and feels faster than the S5, even though it may not be.

I asked in my local Audi garage but they didn't seem to know if it is possible to get and A5 with an "S styling package". From what I have found online in this forum this may have been available elsewhere (option 411 in Ireland?):
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/s-line-and-678/index.html
and also an option in the US:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/audi/a5/base_coupe/313/packages_options/index.html

Can I buy a 3.0 TDI A5 with an S styling package direct from Audi in the UK?

If not why not (< directed at Audi)?

If not is there an aftermarket solution or can I import one from elsewhere in Europe?

--------------------------
No A5 yet, hopefully soon to proud owner of awesome looking 3.0 TDI :)

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
As TLU has said, its just the way Audi UK have setup the A5 model range here. I would think they will announce an S-Line package sometime in the future, possibly when they release some more engines, like the 2.0TDI and 2.0TFSI. If at all.
You will be able to order all the parts through Audi without a problem but getting them to fit it all may cost you an arm and a leg. I would get the parts and take them to your local body shop to spray up and fit them. If you need the part numbers im sure someone will have access to the list.

Oh and welcome to the forum, please update you location.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry TLU I thought "Can I buy a 3.0 TDI A5 with an S styling package direct from Audi in the UK?" was pretty clear ;-)

I had read ABZY post and think the mods look pretty cool even with the controversy, but I'm definitely going for 3.0 TDI.

Mainly I'm interested in default Audi options which should be available in the UK and are available elsewhere rather, than third part addons. I have now started checking the configurator for the other countries and at least in the US S-Line is definitely an option on all models so why not in the UK?

S-line is also an option in Germany on the 3.0 TDI:
"S line Sportpaket plus (quattro GmbH) (enthält Sportsitze vorn)"

So why not the UK?

This is the only thing that is really frustrating me and seems very unfair, almost mean to UK buyers. What I really need in the next week or so is an Audi dealer to say, yes I can get you a much meatier looking 3.0 TDI whether its an Audi S-Line or S styling.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think they usually add the s line packages into a production line to boost sales. The A5 is already selling like hot cakes with demand exceeding supply hence why they probably haven't selected the s line for the uk market. Hell; we pay way over the odds for our cars anyway why not screw us a bit more with not giving us what we really want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If Audi UK are being so mean is it possible to order a left hand drive s-line from elsewhere and import it into the UK?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Definately a supply and demand decision that's been made by Audi. They will undoubtedly launch an S-Line A5 to boost sales, however, only when the standard and Sport models are more readily available.

Guessing the view the S-Line launch as being a minor refresh in a year or so's time. Either that or they will launch at a similar time to the RS5.

You could investigate buying a right hand drive S-Line model from a German VAG dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thnx Q. Has anyone here done this before. What's the best way of approaching them and any good contacts?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am driving the non S line A5 3.0 Tdi - fully loaded - personally feel the car looks very pretty as it is - judging from the attention it gets - went to Mercedes dealer other day - drew a crowd of Merc service bay guys in seconds.

Personally I am going to get the Milltek exhaust and ECU upgrade from APS - I am happy spending extra pennies on these Mods, rather than the S line extras IMHO................

Basically I would say the car is great with or without S line pack!

·
Registered
714 Posts
The S-line packs (which is what I think Teddie is referring to) seem to become subtler and subtler these days. The B6 A4 had noticeably different external styling with the S-line and really made the car look different. These days I personally find it really hard to tell an S-line from other trim levels available in the UK ... it's usually the wheels that note the difference for me... which is irrelevant when the car is moving. Externally the B7 A4 S-line was hardly any different to the SE and the A3 S-line is almost indistinguishable from the Sport. Only the A6 seems to really benefit from external S-line trim IMHO but even that looks dated these days.

Browse around on these forums to compare A5s with and without the S-line and you have to look for some time to determine what trim level the car has. So far as I'm aware the external S-line pack changes are slightly modified front and rear valences, subtle side skirts, wheels (5 spoke 18"?) and the badges (no metallic mirrors). You probably also get the option of Misano Red and Avus Silver at standard metallic/pearl cost. In the UK it would almost certainly be bundled with the interior S-line trim in which case your seats may even be "downgraded" to the leather/Alcantera mix. I say downgraded because Milano leather sports seats (partially electric) are already fitted on the Sport model. The UK pricing structure always seems to quote S-line as a premium to the Sport trim i.e. you have to go via Sport to get to S-line.

In other markets (Ireland, US) the S-line makes perfect sense because the standard model is not as well equipped as it is in the UK and they don't get the Sport model. I'm sure if the S-line trim were available in the UK then it would sell by the bucketload (even at a premium I'm guessing would be £1500-£2500 over the Sport) but when the A5 already looks so good it just doesn't feel as necessary as it used to IMHO.

So, if shopping for an import make sure you check the rest of the spec because we get a lot as standard on the UK A5 which is an option elsewhere.

Probably the cheapest and quickest route to the S-line look is the path that ABZY took.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
In my opinion i would go for the one from the uk market and get it fully loaded to your spec. If you go the route of importing then you will pay a surcharge for having it made rhd which will no doubt be a big delay, plus the s line will cost you more anyway. Apart from a bodykit and sline logo seats and steering wheel what else would you get?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In my opinion i would go for the one from the uk market and get it fully loaded to your spec.
Moski, that's what I want to do :) but it appears that in the UK I can't buy the car I want :-(

·
Registered
151 Posts
In my opinion i would go for the one from the uk market and get it fully loaded to your spec. QUOTE]

I agree with Morski - I was quite happy to get a fully loaded UK spec 3.0Tdi Sport. The only differences between the sport are the S5 type front and rear splitters, side sills and seat logos. They are essentially the same car and my preference would always be options (19" rims, adpative lights, AMI, voice recognition etc.) over bodywork cosmetics.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I can get you the body kit items at below dealer prices so dont worry about that. You just find a good body shop to paint them circa £120 each per bumper.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Teddie, for your information, if you ordered a RHD car through a German dealer it costs approx. 1.700 euros for the RHD option. The exterior S-Line package is a further 1.400 euros. It would pay you to use the audi german configurator, put your wish list in, add on the RHD cost and see what comes out. Don't forget the euro is strong against the pound at the moment.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've just had a play on the german configurator and I reckon a moderately specced 3.0TDI with the S-line interior and exterior is going to cost about 65.000 EUR which Google tells me is about £52,000.

I haven't factored in any discounts and I did end up having to add on loads of stuff to get the spec up to UK standard ... some of which you may not be interested in.

That's an expensive A5! A similar spec UK S5 is going to cost less than that and leave you with several thousand pounds to spend on fuel.

Plus you won't have problems with getting the car imported, registered, serviced etc. Have you checked out what the residuals would be on an imported car? I've no idea but would have thought that it wouldn't retain its value as much as a UK sourced car.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you're looking at paying a huge premium for what are pretty minor cosmetic changes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tuff - it is expensive, and German vat is 19%. However, there would be no problem with importing such a car - a CoC covers all that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts