Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the NAV map set to a certain scale, but every time I start the car the map has reset to a larger scale than I like. How do I get it to remember the way it was? Can it be set as an option somewhere? Can I set the NAV to open directly to the map?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I like the NAV map set to a certain scale, but every time I start the car the map has reset to a larger scale than I like. How do I get it to remember the way it was? Can it be set as an option somewhere? Can I set the NAV to open directly to the map?
I hope someone else is able to answer your question, but personally (and I've read and experienced quite a bit on all things Audi) I am not aware of the possibility of any of the things you asked for. Not saving scale, not opening directly to map.

My notes are based on Euro-spec navigation, and I know the U.S. navigation is not 100% the same as in Europe, but I believe they are same "enough" for this geographical difference not to matter in this case... but do take all this with a pinch of salt anyway.

I know you can change map orientation, map type and turn on/off intersection zoom, for example, by pressing SETUP when in the NAV mode of MMI. But I don't think any of those settings deal with saving scale (although different map modes deal with scale differently so you may want to experiment, also with turning the intersection zoom on and off).

Ross-Tech, who are based in the U.S., list VAG COM codes for the navigation (same codes for U.S. and Europe in my experience) and no luck with scale settings there either. It doesn't mean a maintenance shop setting for something can't exist (you could ask a dealer?), Ross-Tech's lists are good but no complete of course, but it looks discouraging...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A5_(8T)_Navigation

Personally, if you dislike having to browse for the map and preferred scale every time you start the navigation, I think an option to try out is the full speech dialogue system. If your car doesn't have it, you can retrofit it:

Voice control retrofit and notes for Audi A4 B8, A5 and A6 (also Q7/A8)
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a4a5a6voicecontrol.html

Then you can just press the speech button on the steering wheel and start a dialogue:

NAVIGATION (if not yet in navi mode)
MAP ON (flips the map display on)
SCALE 100 km (or whatever you want in certain pre-determined steps listed in the manual, goes directly to the scale you want without rotating the knob)

Especially selecting the scale by voice might be faster and easier, even if you choose to select navi and map by pressing buttons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.... although I was hoping that there was a simple solution. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts