Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have stumbled upon a note in the owner's manual that the cigarette lighter can be temporarily used as another socket. I find it interesting because I'd like to charge my iPad which is being held on the center console with a Brodit holder and now I need to plug the charger under the armrest which doesn't look very good. The cigarette plug is then just a few centimeters from the holder.

1) How can I remove the lighter? I think that the lighter is just an add-on thingy plugged in a standard 12v socket, but I can't seem to be able to pull it out.

2) Do you have any idea why they say it's intended for temporary use only?

I'm driving 1.8t 2012 model, Concert radio without MMI.

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's interesting. I never took notice of the wording "temporary"...
My radar detector is always plugged in the front lighter socket. I think I simply pulled it out. Check with other members because I only pulled it out once and never did return it in there, so I don't have full memory of it.

Maybe they said 'temporary' because of the sliding mechanism of the panel? Would look strange leaving it open?

·
Administrator
4,600 Posts
the sig.lighter can be pulled :)
or you press it, and wait for it to pop out.
now, be carefull, not to burn you fingers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the sig.lighter can be pulled :)
or you press it, and wait for it to pop out.
now, be carefull, not to burn you fingers.
I tried that - I can push it and make it get red hot but I couldn't pull it out or just loosen it even when I pulled hard. I think it might just be jammed. I thought there was some trick to it like twisting or saying a magical word :D Apparently not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's interesting. I never took notice of the wording "temporary"...
Maybe it's only in the 2012 manual. I've noticed several translation mistakes in there so it might have been one of them.

Maybe they said 'temporary' because of the sliding mechanism of the panel? Would look strange leaving it open?
Could be! I was wondering whether it's different electrically, maybe regarding fuses or current because it was primarily designed for the lighter which might need more power (I guess). But since you say you run your equipment with it as fine as with any other socket, this thought is gone now :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it

So today I tried, applying more pull strength and I got it out at last! :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
congrats!!!!! :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Yes, there is no problem using the cig lighter socket as another accessory socket. The only difference is that it is usually on a higher fuse with heavier cable (normally 15Amp) due to the current required to heat the cig lighter.

Reactions: ohmy

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 12V socket in my center console is not working (although the light around it is illuminated). Any suggestions?? The same adapter works in my CL socket in the ashtray, but I'd rather keep my phone tucked-away in the center console while charging.

- tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
First thing would be to check your fuses. I have yet to need to do that on my car so I am unfamiliar with which fuse exactly controls power to that socket.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The use of the word "temporary" was also in the 2011 pre-facelift manual - I surmised that this was because the ash tray lid will not close with something being plugged in.

I don't think it has anything to do with it being temporary, rather that it just is not permanent. Permanent being discretely wired in/unable to disconnect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts