Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to order a 2009 A5, but I'm moving in a few months. I was hoping to time my order so that the car will be delivered shortly after I finish moving and start my new job (September). However, the dealership told me they only get 3 allocations per year, and one of them is open right now. If I don't order the car within the next week (delivery in July, 2 months before I move), then I might not be able to order again for another 4 months (delivery in December?). How is that possible? Why can't I just order the car in 2 months and have it delivered in September?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Why can't I just order the car in 2 months and have it delivered in September?
Audi corporate allocates only a certain number of A5/S5s to the Audi dealerships around the world. In the US, the number of allocations provided to dealerships seem to be more limited than other parts of the world. Typically dealerships with a history of high sales volumes get larger allocations of cars than smaller dealerships. But with the S5 in particular, even the larger volume dealerships are not getting very many allocations of those. The A5 allocations don't seem to be as bad, though.

To clarify what is meant by "allocation", it's essentially a set number of cars (in your case, the A5) for a given period that a dealership has been allotted by Audi corporate to place an order. For example, if a dealership only gets allocated 2 A5s per month, then that means customers at the bottom of the order list with deposits are not going to see their orders being placed for quite some time.

Let's say you're 10th in line with a deposit on the A5 order list at that dealership with 2 allocations per month. That means you would have to wait at least 5 months before your order could even be accepted into the factory order bank to get slotted for production. The only way you could get bumped up in the list is if a customer canceled their order.

In your case, if you wait until 2 months to place your order, that dealership simply may not have any allocations of A5s available for you to place an order. If you do decide to wait, you could always check with other dealerships (possibly Ohio where you're moving) to see if they happen to have any allocations of A5s available at that time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My logic was that even within the specified a5/s5 allocation, the factory would pull orders into the order bank based on engine size and transmission. So if a dealer had 3 allocations and 3 orders placed for a 3.0, 1.8 auto and 1.8 manual, the factory may not pull the orders into the order bank in that order. They may pull the 3.0 first, then the 1.8 manual, then the 1.8 auto, providing that there were sufficient orders from across all dealers for any given combination of engine size and transmission.

But this is just my theory and I may be way off the mark!!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
That just reminded me of something. When I ordered my Tiptronic A5 (back when my dealership got its first allocations of A5s), they had a total of only 3 allocations for the A5 initially. Two of the three were for manual transmissions, while the third was for a Tiptronic.

So, even if a dealership gets an allocation for a certain number of A5s or S5s, they'll have a specified number of them earmarked for manuals and also for automatics. Just something else to keep in mind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So Txcarguy, if I now have a commission number, an Order Status of “Factory Order Bank (10)” and a requested production week of “22/2008 05/26/2008” does that mean that my car is actually in the factory queue waiting to be built or does it mean that I am still in the local queue but that is the build date that the local dealership is requesting for me?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Honestly, that's where things start to become a little unclear to me. Others on here might know better than I.

I can tell you that there's no guarantee that your car is going to get pulled for actual production the week of 5/26. When I ordered my car in mid-September last year, I was supplied with a commission number and a "requested production week" of 10/29. However, my car did not get pulled for "actual" production until mid-December. So, I don't quite understand what purpose the "requested production week" serves. It's obviously meaningless in terms of trying to gauge when your car will get pulled into actual production.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Honestly, that's where things start to become a little unclear to me. Others on here might know better than I.

I can tell you that there's no guarantee that your car is going to get pulled for actual production the week of 5/26. When I ordered my car in mid-September last year, I was supplied with a commission number and a "requested production week" of 10/29. However, my car did not get pulled for "actual" production until mid-December. So, I don't quite understand what purpose the "requested production week" serves. It's obviously meaningless in terms of trying to gauge when your car will get pulled into actual production.
That's a good point, TX. I waited a while for the S5 that I ordered, it initially was "only a three month wait", but then it changed to a sixth month wait, however the dealer claimed to be able to give me a "build week"...but they said it would be at least 3 months before they would have it??:confused:

After waiting for what felt like 100 years, a new (a.k.a. young) salesman spilled the proverbial beans and said I'd most likely be waiting 9+ months (not the six). So it is hard to tell what exactly the "requesting a production/build week" really means and if they can really give you that info.

I hope another member (much more knowledgeable than I) will enlighten us on how it really works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow! I'm glad I stumbled across this post and asked. I was in the process of selling off all my other vehicles. I guess I better wait until the car actually gets pulled. Don’t want to get stuck with nothing to drive. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MCOS5 - if you're in the factory order bank, you have indeed been pulled for production. When you're just hanging out with jackasses like me in the local queue waiting for an allocation, you're in the IS order bank. So you are at least one step closer. As to the reliability of your build week compared to the requested one, I have no idea, but you are at least accepted for production. You are also one more person for me to hate. :)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So Txcarguy, if I now have a commission number, an Order Status of “Factory Order Bank (10)” queue...

<SNIP>
MCOS5 - if you're in the factory order bank, you have indeed been pulled for production.

<SNIP>
Just a point of clarification...

My car had an order status of "Factory Order Bank (10)" from the time I was provided a commission number (mid-September) to the point when the car got pulled for actual production in mid-December.

·
Registered
483 Posts

My car had an order status of "Factory Order Bank (10)" from the time I was provided a commission number (mid-September) to the point when the car got pulled for actual production in mid-December.
My latest order sheet actually has a requested production week of 22/2008 (the week of May 26) and an assigned production week of 28/2008 (the week of July 7). Does that mean my car will be produced during the week of the 7th of July or could still be later than that?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My latest order sheet actually has a requestion production week of 22/2008 (the week of May 26) and an assigned production week of 28/2008 (the week of July 7). Does that mean my car will be produced during the week of the 7th of July or could still be later than that?
In your case, I believe the car has been pulled for actual production to start the week of July 7. There's no reason it should start any later than that, unless there's some type of production line issue that halts/delays production on all cars.

·
Registered
483 Posts
In your case, I believe the car has been pulled for actual production to start the week of July 7. There's no reason it should start any later than that, unless there's some type of production line issue that halts/delays production on all cars.
Great! TX, thanks for your help as usual. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts

Just when I was about to get excited again. :( Oh well, I guess I have to go back to the mindset of "it gets here when it gets here". lol Oh, hang in there Thrak! Your day is coming ...

·
Registered
42 Posts

Guess there's even more for me to learn. I've had a commission number since I first put my deposit down 2 months ago, but mine is in the IS order bank. There are no dates of any sort associated with my order though. I'm still pretty sure you get moved to factory order bank when you get an allocation, but I guess that has little to do with your actual production date.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Based off of the initial information I posted, Txcarguy was correct. I was not pulled. I went to the dealership today to check on my status and they informed me that I have now been pulled. My Vehicle Order now has the following dates as well as a few other misc dates:
Assigned Production Week 24/2008 06/09/2008
Actual Production Week 24/2008 06/09/2008

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Can a order that has been recently pulled into the "factory order bank" have any of the options changed?
It's best to check with your dealer on things like that as they will likely have to make a call to Audi for the change. Some dealers might be willing to go through the hassle, while others may not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts