Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Are you located in the US? Please update your profile to display your location.

If you order the car, you can specify "front plate filler panel" at no charge. Also, you can always install one later if you happen to get a car that has a front plate holder already installed. Places like MadAudi sell the filler panel.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If your state requires front plates by law your dealer will not be able to register/inspect the car without one.

Order a filler offline and have it ready when you take delivery, have them install it, thats my plan.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If your state requires front plates by law your dealer will not be able to register/inspect the car without one.
This is not necessarily true. In Texas, front plates are required by law here, but people order their cars without front plates all the time. I ordered my A5 with the filler panel, and my S5 also was delivered with a filler panel installed at the factory.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I dont quite understand the difference between the us and the european licence holder... From what i know of..if you remove the us plate holder, you can see the european plate holder? And if you remove the european plate holder too, you can order a filler panel that has no plate holder at all is that it?
Can i order filler panel when i pick my car up?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
From what i know of..if you remove the us plate holder, you can see the european plate holder?
Yes

And if you remove the european plate holder too, you can order a filler panel that has no plate holder at all is that it?
You don't need to remove the European plate holder - the filler panel simply sits on top of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plate Fillers

I just replaced my plate holder about an hour ago. When you take off the (Ugly) US plate holder you will see that underneath is the stock EURO holder. I could probably live with the Euro holder only as it does not have the square outline of the US plate hanging below the filler but it does have an indented area where the EURO plate fits. If that would bother you then spring for the replacement. The the filler you can purchase- as others have said- from Mad Audi etc fits over the stock EURO holder. There are several torx screws you have to remove and you need to be able to reach behind the grill from above with the hood open to be able to unclip the US filler. There is a flat plastic panel that bridges the gap between the top of the radiator and the top edge of the upper grill. If you remove the 4 screws you can remove that and then you will be able to reach behind the grill so you are able to unclip the panel. It takes maybe 15-20 minutes.

Too bad the US can't get rid of all the BS charity, college, and endless other varieties of "special" plates so we could just have the simple EURO style numbers with the state flag on one end! The large number of different plates we have here in colorado must drive the police crazy.

·
Registered
394 Posts
What dealer did you buy from in CT. I was told that they had to put the front plate holder on the car as CT law requires it.
Mark Ward-Willis @ Danbury Audi.

FYI - the car came with the front plate installed (as required by law). Mark was kind enough to throw-in the filler panel for free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I ordered mine they gave me the wrong one. Make sure you are specifying the right colour. The glossy black one is available.
lcarron... did you order it from MadAudi? I'm thinking of ordering from them but the picture and description on their site says its grey.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There is another thread about this somewhere - when I was looking for a plate filler, dealers and aftermarket places like Mad Audi could only find the part number in gray and not the glossy black - I had to have mine painted to get the black I wanted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.