Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car at the end of last year the front plastic panels on either side had a small small amount of lacquer peeling off. Over the time in lockdown it seems to be getting much worse - maybe in the hot sun? I want to prevent more of it peeling off. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to do this and the best products to use?

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Good question mate sorry, no idea. Has your car perhaps caught Covid????? Haha.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nothing will ever be as good as factory paint. The best result would be from a professional spray gun. But then you really need some dedicated equipment.

However, there are clearcoat products used by professional body shops in a can. It's not the cheap stuff you find at auto parts stores. It's usually a two part paint; there's a tab (usually on bottom) you depress on the can to mix the two parts, shake it like mad, and you only have like 24 hours or less to use it.

Look at some youtube videos. It usually involves sending very lightly to remove the visible edge (but leave the colored paint alone), and then spraying on multiple coats of clear coat/lacquer, sending that down again and repeat until you get the desired uniform paint depth. It's part science, and part art.

Finally, your spray painting skills are very important. You need to make sure that you get a light, uniform coat on everytime you spray. Clear coat is more forgiving because it's clear, but you risk having the "orange peel" effect if you are impatient and try to do too thick a coat at once.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That looks like it has been resprayed. It's thick and peeling from underneath - I think you will struggle touching it up without sanding it back. I would try to avoid using the jet washer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts