Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made some custom 9mm shell valve caps today, current alloy ones weigh 2g each and the finished 9mm shell weighs 6g.

Will 4g make any difference to the wheel balance. I'm running gold calipers so thought the polished brass would compliment.

·
Registered
2015 S5 Coupe
278 Posts
I had some caps on my motorbike that indicate tyre pressures (red/green) and my tyre fitter recommended I remove them as when at speed they bend the valve and could result in it breaking and at high speed not something I would want. You could actually see that valve bending due to the weight.

I would say replace the rubber valve with a metal one, and then you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
And at high speed these could explode and throw your car off the road????? Hehe they look great but not sure about the weight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Managed to make a version 2 today, weighing in just under 6 grams and about 3mm shorter. Factory caps are 3 grams, these weigh about 5.8 grams.

Pretty confident now that 2.8 grams and slightly longer is not going to implode my wheels and break my rubber valve stems.

But happy to be convinced otherwise :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
They will probably be fine. Just put them on and try. If you get vibration just swap them back or get the wheels balanced with the new weights on.

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
Use metal valve bodies to be safe. The tyre has to come off to fit them so wheels will be rebalanced with your new custom caps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts