Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of painting over the stock silver colored calipers covers. Has anyone done this? I'm leaning towards a glossy Black or Red, here are some photoshopped pics with both options. Any opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im just lookin for thoughts of what looks better

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My vote is for glossy black. Painting the calipers red makes that car look like a Brembo BBK wanna-be and cheapens the look of the car, IMO.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I too want to paint my calipers.

I am aware that there are 2 ways to do this:

1) Leave the calipers in place and paint over them (similar to Member OSAKA's brother)
or
2) Completely take the calipers off the brake pad, clean them thoroughly, paint them and then put them back on

Now, I was told that the best way to do this is going for the second choice.
If you were to go with choice number 1, since the calipers dissipate a lot of heat, the paint is without doubt going to peel off.

What do you guys think?
Has anyone gone with number 1 and regretted it because of paint peeling or is that just a bunch of BS? I would think it would be true!

It just seems like such a hassle to go with number 2.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too want to paint my calipers.

I am aware that there are 2 ways to do this:

1) Leave the calipers in place and paint over them (similar to Member OSAKA's brother)
or
2) Completely take the calipers off the brake pad, clean them thoroughly, paint them and then put them back on

Now, I was told that the best way to do this is going for the second choice.
If you were to go with choice number 1, since the calipers dissipate a lot of heat, the paint is without doubt going to peel off.

What do you guys think?
Has anyone gone with number 1 and regretted it because of paint peeling or is that just a bunch of BS? I would think it would be true!

It just seems like such a hassle to go with number 2.
Its not how you paint them its what kind of paint you use - cheaper high temp aerosol paint or a more expensive kit like G2

G2 is purpose made for calipers but i have a feeling that from 6 feet away nobody will be able to tell the difference

I'm going to try out the cheaper option in a few days, the thermal shock to the outer layer of calipers should be minimal unless your doing some really REALLY aggressive driving, most of the heat going to the discs.

I plan on putting my car on a lift, disassembling all four brakes, cleaning them and painting them away from my car to guarantee zero overspray and such

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6 Posts
iiii dont think so - im still leaning towards red tho - brembo look alike or not
Red is very much overdone, so many use this color, and it is not fitting for an Audi IMO. If your only choices are black or red, then black is the way to go, especially with a black car. I also would choose yellow with a black car over red. My top choice would be glossy silver, more in line with Audi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts