Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So while taking a break from work today I was reading the local paper and damm a piece on the new A5/S5 cabrios due in Australia soon. So I started reading more and more and then it hits me, the new s5 cabrio is only going to be available in a 245kw V6 supercharged.
Now this might not be news to some, maybe even all, but new heavier S5 with less power that still has a similar fuel economy. I can't figure out the reasoning, surely with a new model it should at least have the same performance from the engine if not the car as there will be more weight. Not really asking any questions just totally thrown by the move.

After a quick search here I realise the subject has been covered but I didn't really see a reason for the move anywhere.

Ok here's the question, anyone have a logical reason for the move, as the top of the line 5 will have less power than the previous models :wall:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think there must be something wrong with the numbers. Currently TTBOMK there is S5 V8 Coupe and S5 V6 Cabrio being launched soon. There are no 'previous models' A/S5 with more power.

Am I the only one confused by your post?

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think what he is referring to is the "early" 5 series coupes have a V8--the heavier convert will have a V6 with less power (though turbocharged). You should also be aware that the 2011 S5 coupe will be the turbo V6. Thus, just the early S5s will be the V8. I'm sure it has something to do with production costs, efficiency, or gas mileage though I know I wouldn't have bought the car in a V6 configuration--I love V8's (and bigger) and gas mileage isn't a concern--if it was I would have bought an A5.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I am aware that the S5 is likely to receive V6 in 2010/11.

I guess you americans still enjoy cheap fuel. We pay over UK £4.00 a gallon here which at 20mpg is 20p a mile! hence the popularity of big diesels!:moped:

The V6 petrol S5 will have more torque than the V8. The 3.0 diesel has even more 500nm!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no 'previous models' A/S5 with more power.

Am I the only one confused by your post?
RG
Sorry yes it was confusing, I mearly ment our s5's are v8's future ones will be a supercharged v6 then on to a turboed v6 later. For the power side the NA v8's develop 260kw where as the supercharged v6 will have 245kw.

I think what he is referring to is the "early" 5 series coupes have a V8--the heavier convert will have a V6 with less power (though turbocharged). You should also be aware that the 2011 S5 coupe will be the turbo V6. Thus, just the early S5s will be the V8. I'm sure it has something to do with production costs, efficiency, or gas mileage though I know I wouldn't have bought the car in a V6 configuration--I love V8's (and bigger) and gas mileage isn't a concern--if it was I would have bought an A5.
With you Drjer1, a V8 is what I was looking for, so why not embrace modern tech a bit more and start with cylinder de-activation etc rather than just chop the engine totally.

I guess you americans still enjoy cheap fuel. We pay over UK £4.00 a gallon here which at 20mpg is 20p a mile! hence the popularity of big diesels!:moped:

The V6 petrol S5 will have more torque than the V8. The 3.0 diesel has even more 500nm!
Exactly so why have the petrol engine in this configuration???? Thats what I mean, unless it comes down to the production costs WHY WHY WHY If the diesel is a better engine what is the reason for the V6

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Sorry yes it was confusing, I mearly ment our s5's are v8's future ones will be a supercharged v6 then on to a turboed v6 later. For the power side the NA v8's develop 260kw where as the supercharged v6 will have 245kw.

Not sure there are plans for 2 S5 V6 engines in the future, no doubt I will be corrected if this is not the case.

With you Drjer1, a V8 is what I was looking for, so why not embrace modern tech a bit more and start with cylinder de-activation etc rather than just chop the engine totally. Probably based on my experiences with the two I've driven they are a pain in the arse.

Exactly so why have the petrol engine in this configuration???? Thats what I mean, unless it comes down to the production costs WHY WHY WHY If the diesel is a better engine what is the reason for the V6
The Diesel is not neccessarily a 'better' engine. The 3.0Tdi is a V6 but doesn't sound like or in many ways behave like a Diesel. The V6 S5 petrol will undoubtedly be smoother, rev better but will not have the same torque or fuel economy as the Diesel which seems very popular amongst A5 buyers. Living with it as I have for 6 months my previous diseasel prejudices have all but disappeared. 0-62 5.9 secs, 42.8 combined MPG, 500Nm Torque. :moped:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Audi Australia in the Sydney Sun Herald can't remember what page, but the first cabrio S5 arriving here will definitely be a supercharged version while they finish testing on a turbo version. All I can say is that is what was reported.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts