Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was in the market for a cabriolet at the moment I would choose the 3 series over the A5. Sacrilege perhaps ? What do you guys think ?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Well, just like Audistic said.
Without roof it won't look that good.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think most current BM's are naff.

The new 3 series tin cab has lost most of what little charm the previous model had, and it did have some!

A friend briefly left Audi and had a 2005 330Ci Cabriolet, not bad but not an Audi and interior quality and the styling was not anywhere near as good as an Audi. (Now in an S5)

The lastest 3 series seems to have regressed further in the quality stakes, Airfix style plastic reminissant of the current Mini Cooper (also BMW).

I hope my critics will agree the above is a balanced summary!

Regarding the tin roof vs Fabric.. I can see some benefits but judging by the leakage problems some experience 206/306/Eos/SLK? BM, I am not yet convinced. The Audi Fabric Acoustic roof is quiet and excellent, only possible disadvantage is 'Mac the knife' and possible vandalism, although if you want to vandalise a car it doesn't matter what the roof's made of.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I said 'I think most current BM's are naff'

I might have expected such a comment from you Mr E.! :rolleyes:

I did say most and hope you thought my comments were 'balanced'....... Have your speed trials progressed? Managed to lose any more weight/ (off the car!)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I'm going for the A5 Cab - BMW is nice, however there's no room in the boot when the roof is down :(

....I'm also not a huge fan of BMW's image at the moment.:rolleyes:
+1... image, styling and quality is better with Audi IMHO... shame the A5 Can launch specs are so restrictive... only one Quattro and that's got an Auto box!:confused:;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
When is coming new CLK ~ E-Class Cabrio?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
When is coming new CLK ~ E-Class Cabrio?
2010 and 2011 I think. Mercs are better than BM's IMHO but nothing like so good as Audi..:D

·
Registered
914 Posts
I drove a S4 cabrio for 3 years (with V8!) and was waiting for the new S5 cabrio to come out, but........no V8, no deal I am afraid. I will test drive the V6T, and then decide, but signs are not good. The beemer of course has a V8 in the M3 cabrio, but hey....the image this car has here (in NL) is, well, .... :D

Maybe I have to wait for the RS5 cabrio or the S7 cabrio :cool:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
no V8, no deal I am afraid. I will test drive the V6T, and then decide, but signs are not good.
And remember also Hawk that the S5 cabrio will be auto-only. Another nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned, unless we hear some stellar reviews coming through once the press cars are out there......

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think Audi will eventually launch a manual S5 , they seem to be up to their old trick of only introducing a limited selection of specs at launch as they did in 2006 with the facelifted A4 Cabriolet.

·
Registered
914 Posts
And remember also Hawk that the S5 cabrio will be auto-only. Another nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned, unless we hear some stellar reviews coming through once the press cars are out there......
Hmmmm, indeed.......the only good news it is not a tiptronic, but a S-tronic (DSG, so double sequential gear). Let's wait and see and testdrive!

·
Registered
112 Posts
In the pics I've seen so far, the A5 cab has more than a passing resemblance to the current A4 cab. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the buyer.

It just seems that the elegant profile of the A5 is lost with the soft top.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
In the pics I've seen so far, the A5 cab has more than a passing resemblance to the current A4 cab. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the buyer.

It just seems that the elegant profile of the A5 is lost with the soft top.
Agree absolutely Suzy. The A5/S5 USP is the Coupe roofline which is lost in the Cabriolet.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.