Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently noticed two small patches of ‘wear’ to both sides of my cab roof near the rear window (one side is worse than the other).

I have raised and lowered the roof several times to see if it is catching somewhere but the area concerned appears to be in a inverted crease and doesn’t look like it comes in contact with any other moving part.

I have concerns too about it's effect on the waterproofing.

A visit to Audi maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
if the car is still under warranty take it into Audi.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I have similar wear on mine in the same areas, though it is only a slight rough area at the moment. I keep an eye on it though and raise it at my next service if it gets worse. The fabric is creasing in the area when the rear window section goes vertical. This was not a problem on the A4 Cab so maybe it’s a design flaw?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes I too have the same wear in the same place, will be keeping an eye on it, could be some very expensive warranty work for Audi going on !

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
My roof has a minor flaw in the material (like a streak) noticed on delivery so will be going back for a replacement. (edited... + the crease marked noted below hash 12)

Might be worth waiting if there is a known problem with an Audi Fix on the way.

Anyone know what Audi are doing?

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Many thanks for the replies.

I have booked the car into Audi for them to assess it (Monday 5th) as its still under warranty.

When I contacted the dealer he said he’s never heard of this before (not a member here then!), and suspects they will replace the hood.

It's a little worrying as mine is one of the earliest cabs- I hope there are not many more cases to follow, :thumbsdown: .

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
No doubt you will keep us informed.

Good Luck

RG

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yes, be interesting what they say. I'll mention it at my first service anyway I think.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I had a look today and have some similar, albeit light scuffing, but suspect Audi/Dealer would be classed it as wear and tear.

Will be interested to hear how this develops with the dealers.

Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a look today and have some similar, albeit light scuffing, but suspect Audi/Dealer would be classed it as wear and tear.

Cheers
You could well be right Mulski, I'm sure they will !!

26G4 being done too so I'll have a good half hour to bend their ears :hissyfit:

Will update for sure.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You could well be right Mulski, I'm sure they will !!

26G4 being done too so I'll have a good half hour to bend their ears :hissyfit:

Will update for sure.
LoL, it took them 1.5 hrs to do my 26G4 update, but then again I did ask them to leave all of the VagCom settings in place, so it meant they had to manually go through the settings rather than just plug it in an overwrite everything. Still, saved me having to reinstate everything.:thumbsup:

Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
No wear on mine yet,but certainly crease marks that I noticed fairly early on ,after picking it up.

I'll keep a watching breif on it,I''l probably mention it Tuesday as its going in for the third time to locate the rattle from the offside rear window quarter.:no:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

Cheers
The only problem I would have with that argument is I owned a A4 Cab for 7 years. When I PE for my A5 Cab only issues with the roof were slightly darker lines where it folds. A scuff mark on the middle of the roof (where a stone or something similar had hit it) and some moss type green spots by the bottom of the rear window. Other than that the roof was mint condition.

So if there is signs of distress to the material after 17 months (and we all have it in the same two spots), I would say that is a defect!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Now you have pointed it out, i have the same wear too

·
Registered
268 Posts
Me too on my S5...I agree with ChristopherPovey as I had the generation even earlier of the 80/90 series cabriolet (1994 cabriolet) for years and years and that top never showed wear other than the plastic rear window needing replacement from scratches. I can easily see how in 4 or 5 years the spots i have will be very noticeable...I have a red top so up close all the folds and wear spots are obvious just from dirt buildup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine looks just like Magi's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, i have just taken delivery of an A5 cabriolet and wondered if anyone has tips on cleaning the roof and general care tips?

:cheers: Mark

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
1 - 20 of 407 Posts