Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with or ever owned one?

So before I bought my S5 a couple of years ago I was very interested in a C63 (the 6.2 na v8) coupe.

After a reasonable amount of research I decided that the running costs would be too high and fell in love with the beautiful and slightly more sensible S5.

Although I still love the S5 and I can't think of a better all round experience for an almost daily drive, (450 bhp, quattro etc) I still have this itch.

Does anyone on here have any experience with one or Merc in general?
All thoughts welcomed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had one 6 years ago as my daily, engine in my opinion is overhyped, although it does sound magnificent with an aftermarket exhaust. Make sure you get a post 2010 (I think) for the upgraded LSD, as the early 2008/09 models just spin up all the time (you might prefer that!)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Mr Bing.
Yeah if I were to go for one it would be 2012-2014 with the lsd and the performance plus package as obviously more power is better right.
What was your opinion of the car as a whole package?
Pros and cons and how does it compare to the Audi?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Hehe sounds good!! I think that the Merc is a true beast and endless fun, the Audi is a smaller and sleeker drive as well as more sure footed I think. You pays yer money etc etc........

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
AND in my opinion if you can then try one and scratch that itch mate......

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Never had one or driven one or wanted one as given my lack of self control would kill myself, or worse still, others.

If I could get that noise out of the dog mover though......whilst still getting 48mpg.

Why don't you hire one for a couple of days and see what you think

Especially if it comes with this co driver.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The car in itself is very much like the Audi, pretty reliable nice interior etc. I prefer the S5 shape, I have another lairy car at home, so I felt like i wanted the more refined nature of the S5 for daily driving.
I would say if you're thinking about it, have the funds to do so.. DO IT! Life's to short, you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Simon and JJ although I was kind of hoping to be told to absolutely not even think about one as its so ridiculous and unnecessary and impractical.
And like Mr Racks says I too worry about my lack of control and fear it might kill me to death.
But apparently with the tc turned up to full they don't spit you in any direction at any moment.

Mr Racks, do you have the number for that hire company as I'm quite interested in that one!

·
Registered
408 Posts
SJ, prior to me purchasing the RS, I contemplated the C63. When looking through RS reviews the C63 is always mentioned in the comparison group. Expensive taste and even higher running costs but what a daily that would be.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MrFergus, I just watched the 5th gear episode with the rs5 vs c63 coupe round the track. Rs5 was a fair bit quicker (damp track) as the Merc just couldn't get the traction out of the bends. I guess if I did bite the bullet I'd have to totally adapt to a different driving style as the Audi really makes going fast very easy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
SJ, I’ve just re watched 5th gears RS5 vs C63 and the 6.3 is so tail happy. As you say it’s a real change of driving style. In our real world of roads my feeling is the RS is more suited for joe public driver but if you can handle the rear wheel drive it may be more rewarding. Tiff delivered a good shoot out though.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts