Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

** First post alert!! **

I just picked up my A5 a month ago - great car :)

The only real irritation (other than forgetting to order seat memory) is that I get a buzz or hum through my iPod interface. I have the standard sound system with AMI and when I turn the volume up very load there is a distinct buzz/hum coming in through the iPod - it's most apparent when the iPod is between songs because there's no other music playing.

The other thing that's weird is that the iPod I'm wanting to use is an iPod classic (160GB) and this is the one I hear the noise through - I've actually tried 2 different iPod classics and get the same issue. However if I plug in my iPod nano (4GB) I don't get the hum - same cable etc but no hum.

So I've tried 2x iPod classics - so it can't be the iPod and my nano works fine - wierd. I *think* the Nano has flash memory vs a micro HDD in the Classic so I'm wondering if it's interference with the HDD somehow... The other thing is that the buzz/hum doesn't seem to change based on rev's so it doesn't seem to be interference from the engine. (although will double check this tonight).

Has anyone else got this same problem?? Any ideas to rectify??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd next try a new cable. Try figuring it out step by step.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I'd agree it can't be the cable - and shouldn't be the car (because Nano works). But I have tried 2 different iPod classics (160GB) and both had the same problem.

I'm thinking it's either:

a) a design flaw of the iPod classic
b) something to do with the fact that the classic has a HDD vs flash memory in the Nano - perhaps the power the car is providing to power the HDD is generating interference in the signal somewhere.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a larger iPod (i.e. one that has a HDD) and if they have noticed the same hum/buzz???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Likely the switching power supply in the HDD drive

It is likely an unlucky coincidence between the iPODs power supply and the iPoDs filtering circuit. Sometimes you get a beat frequency that can travel through the audio section.

Only other thing I can think of is to look at how you are powering the iPoD and can that be grounded better or powered differently?

I can not imagine that Audi did not test the iPoD HDD version in the design process. They would have caught a problem.

Ask your Audi dealer if they have anything from Audi since this is a big feature to F$#k-up by Audi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.