Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to buy a 2012+ a5 coupe 1.8.

many suggestions on the highest mileage I should be looking at andwhere’s best to buy from.
Thanks
Ewan.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
In my opinion you would do better with the 3.0L cars, petrol or diesel. The A5 is a heavy car and the 1.8 struggles to pull her so the fuel consumption is quite high. The 3.0 is far more powerful so works much less hard to pull the car and I think that the 3.0 diesel auto would be the ideal choice cos they go really well and the consumption is very reasonable. FSH is more important than mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the advice however there’s a slight problem with that being I’m 19 and have only just got my 2 years no claims. Even on the 1.8 my insurance will be 1300 I don’t even want to see what it would look like for a 3.0 😂
In my opinion you would do better with the 3.0L cars, petrol or diesel. The A5 is a heavy car and the 1.8 struggles to pull her so the fuel consumption is quite high. The 3.0 is far more powerful so works much less hard to pull the car and I think that the 3.0 diesel auto would be the ideal choice cos they go really well and the consumption is very reasonable. FSH is more important than mileage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The problem with diesel is UK government targeting those cars. In London where I live you will have to pay daily charge from 1st March if car is pre-2016 diesel. People living very far from London are fine to use diesel.

Also the fuel cost is expensive so drive around a 3.0i petrol everyday crawling in traffic is not cheap :(

On the roads you will see mostly 4 cylinder diesels because once people thought cheap running cost with small engine diesel. I had to look hard to find a decent 2.0i petrol.

The 1.8i and 2.0i is not the fastest engine but the 2.0i 210bhp is decent drive in town.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I appreciate the advice however there’s a slight problem with that being I’m 19 and have only just got my 2 years no claims. Even on the 1.8 my insurance will be 1300 I don’t even want to see what it would look like for a 3.0 😂
Have you looked at the 2.0l TSFI? Is the insurance much different (wont take long to find out on comparison websites).
As Simon says, it may be worth a look at the 3.0 TDIs. Check the comparison websites and see what the difference is. An hour of your evening during lockdown wont harm to check!
You may be surprised?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 1.8i are 168bhp and I could be wrong here.. post 2012 2.0i are 225bhp Quatro.
The insurance for a 19 year old on a 225bhp engine would be a big jump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts