Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the forum, thanks for all your input.

I am purchasing a 2008 S5 dealer demo with 2k on the clock. The car has every option and is Meteor Gray with red interior with carbon fiber inlays, Technology Package and Navagation and the B&O stereo.

Do you think paying the list price including the gas guzzler and destination is fair, being that I cannot locate any others anywhere and I do not want to wait for the car. I have a little ADD when it comes to cars and will not keep in past two years, I am sure so I will always be under the warranty.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
151 Posts
In general, unless the demo has very few miles, I'd avoid it. I know personally that they let people out in them unsupervised, and Ive seen and smelled how they come back into the lot. It's not pretty. Id hate to think someone took my car to 6k rpm during the first few hundred miles, but I can assure you that some people have done it. Id think that every demo with 2000 miles on it has had about 100 drivers at 20 miles each. Do the math - even if five of those 100 drove like maniacs, the car could be irrepairably damaged. You wont know now of course, but down the road, you'll regret it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see your point, however, these cars are run pretty hard in the testing stages thru Audi, so I am not that concerned about the engine, more so the differential and possibly the clutch. But as I mentioned, I will be getting rid of the car before the warranty expires.

Also, I understand there is a potential 3k increase in list price for the 09 as well as a potential 6-9 month wait if ordered today. Based on that, I and the above, I might take my chances on this car as I don't want to wait. Historically, I have not heard about any long term problems with people buying dealer demo's in regards to engine issues ect.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I see you are in Jersey, if this is the demo at Cherry Hill Audi, I can only tell you what I did to that car on my test drive...on second thought, if you might buy it...you probably don't want to know.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have purchased two demo cars in my past. Both were excellent cars with no problems even beyond the warranty periods.

IMHO based on not keeping it past warranty period you will be fine.

The only thing I would do is for the price MSRP I would also make them include Audi care, iPod cable, winter mats, and boot liner. The MSRP is decent because of the high demand. If the car was new they could demand over MSRP.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Jon,

I ended up purchasing the demo from a local dealer here in southern cal with about 550 miles on it. I paid full MSRP and they threw in the Audi care package, clear bra and some BBS wheels that I have since switched with Zone wheels.

I now have about 5,000 miles on it and have had no problems what so ever with the car (other than frying the amp when I tinting the windows)

Audi has fixed all minor problems I’ve had (rattles, scratches etc.) and their service has been excellent.

Like geoffrey2k said more than likely with 2K miles on it the car has been pushed pretty hard on occasion.

In the end it’s your decision whether to take the mechanical risk or not. Just make certain that your dealer stands behind all warranties on the car as if it were new.

Good Luck!

Rick

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know what it is like in the US.... but I have never paid list for a ex-demo... I got my A5 (albeit a 3.0tdi) as an ex-demo and paid 5K under list.

The whole idea for me about buying an ex demo is that a nice little bit of the depreciation is taken off for what a is a near enough new car.

As far as engine problems due to people driving the car hard as a demo... I have always thought that the majority of new cars are pre-run in before being put in the car... so no need to pamper the engine for the first few hundred miles

·
Registered
39 Posts
2k is not so bad, I would go for it, are you getting it from Riverside in NJ? if so this is the one I test drove before deciding to make my purchase.
Be sure to get the Audi Care thrown in, break in periods on newer cars are not as important as they used to be, your biggest problem will be the clutch, most people ride the clutch to make up for the fact that they cannot drive a stick. Great Car!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a Demo - no regrets

I bought a demo (same color, etc) as the one you're looking at. I paid a few dollars under list (not much) and no gas guzzler tax.

The dealership had assured me NO ONE drove the car unsupervised and this was my experience the 2 times I test drove the car. I had to wait a month for the 4 month period to expire (they're not allowed to sell the car until after they've owed it for 4 months) but they parked the car after I paid the deposit.

Go for it!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, the car is from Jack Daniels Audi in Fairlawn. Unfortunately, I tried to get about 2k off but they would not budge and would have let me walk away from the deal. At this point without going far out of state there is absolutely nothing around, no dealer as we all now has any.

If i put myself on the list, I figure i would be paying about 3k more for an 09 plus the associated sales tax and be waiting until at least September.

Anyway the salesmanager was just at my house and I signed the purchase agreement and am picking up the car tomorrow.

I hope its the right move, although my ideal color was black.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The sales manager came to your house?!?!?

They are desperate to sell. You shouldn't be paying the full sticker for a used car. I got 1750 off without haggling off my demo in NJ with only 650 miles on it, 500 or so from the sales manager. They are desperate to unload because that car should have been unloaded a month ago.

I am happy with my demo, but I also got a discount, so if I end up replacing my clutch or something because of abuse I consider it a wash. For full sticker, make sure that every nick is fixed and try for new tires. Most demos were unloaded that first weekend in March. I'd go over that car very closely inside and out before making a decision.

I don't blame you for wanting it, and it is great if you get your hands on it, but just think, why are you paying gas guzzler tax, destination charge? That was their responsiblity. That is something you pay for on a new car, not a used car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts