Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year are your cars?? If 2010's and they are post control arm/tsb installation or manufactured after the control arm change date, please advise. I had a 2009 that had control arms replaced that did not resolve the problem. I now have a 2010 S5 cab that has the newer control arms and the car still vibrates as well as it has a clunking noise in the front end that I had on my 2008 and 2009 S5's that Audi can not seem to fix as well.. According to the dealers many 2010 post control arm cars are coming in with the vibration issues as well.. My car also seems to now have the low speed turning shutter which was only prone to the A5's. I had this on my 2009 S5 and was told there was not fix yet for the S5's. Anyone with a 2010 post control arm car that is having any vibration issues or clunking noises in their front end, please chime in, as I am planning a "class action" suit against Audi N.A. as well as a fraud suit, as i was assured that the 2010 B8's were rid of the problems that plagued the 2008's and the 2009's.

A little history about me. I had the first S5 coupe that came into the dealer in november of 2007. I got 3 miles from the dealership and brought the car back to them as I noticed the vibration and shimmy immediately. After 11,000 miles and not being able to fix the problem, Audi decided to replace with a 2009 and once again assured me the 2009's did not have the issue. After 3 weeks of ownership of the 2009 the problems returned, as well as the low speed shutter. After a year of being told there was no issue with my first car and that i was the only one with the problem, I am advised about the new control arms. I had the first set that came into the dealership. For a month the car was incredible, until the dreaded vibration came back. As Audi could not fix the low speed shutter problem, as I was apparently the only S5 to have this problem, it was decided to move me into a 2010 S5 Cab.. A deal was made, I paid them the difference and took delivery of my 2010 S5 cab four weeks ago. All of the same problems still exist, and have been verified by the dealer. As I was assured that the cars were fixed by Audi N.A. before purchasing my third S5. As far as I am concerned, fraud has been committed. I also have General Mangers from Audi dealerships confirming that Audi is aware that there are still issues with the vibration and advises the dealers to continue to sell them . The DSG transmission is another issue and you will see posts on that as well.

This is not a bash against Audi. I loved this car so much that I have dealt with it and even gave it another try, but this is ridiculous. Thus, my upcoming class action suit against them.

So if you have a 2010 and you have the dreaded vibration, the control arms is not a true fix. If you are planning to purchase a B8 platform car, I say buyer be aware!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
BUYERS BEWARE -

Not all cars are affected with this. My 08 A5 does not have any of the problems described above.

Thanks for posting :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My 2010 S5 Cab doesn't seem to have this problem?!? It's only 10 weeks and 4,000 miles though.

But I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi...

Thanks for the responses.. True; not all of the cars are affected. Unfortunately I have been the unlucky one to have 3 affected cars. I truly believe the bushings in the control arms can not handle the hotter climates. But that is only conjecture... I wish they could fix the problem as I thing the S5 is the nicest coupe on the market. What a shame...

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I'll be honest - I had the clunking noise - really bad. I took it in about 3 weeks ago, they had the car for a day, and I got it back completely fixed. I didn't investigate as to what the solution was, but I can find out.

I have a 2010 S5 by the way with no vibrations...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry you're having such bad luck.

I have an 09 S5 and haven't had one issue whatsoever (now at 13k miles). Not a creak, clunk or vibration. Hope it works out for you though! I would hate to have these problems!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zee007 / Thanks for the response... Would love to find out how they resolved your clumking noise... Thank you!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Has not been an issue with mine, at all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Had my control arms replaced because of the vibration -- fixed the problem.

Im in Houston - so I don't believe hot weather is the culprit as the problem has not reappeared after the fix...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Has this vibration and clunking noise been fixed in 2010 and hopefully 2011MY cars? Have any of the new A/S5 owners experienced this recently? Is this a problem with all models (coupe, cab & sportback)?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nemo

My car has been back to Audi and they have verified that my 2010 still has the same clunking noise which they could not fix on my 2009. I also have the low speed turning vibration/shudder that plagued the A5's and A4's for which there is a fix for on those models but not yet on the S5. As far as I am concerned and since there are many other issues including transmission issues as well as acceleration issues with the double clutch transmission, I would stay away from the B8 platform cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2010 a5 built with the updated control arms. I had bad vibrations from both the front (steering and gas pedal) and the rear. They checked everything, changed a tire and it was still there. When I went back they changed my 4 tires to Michelin. It fixed the issue totally. I originally had Dunlops on it. My Audi service advisor told me that Dunlops are pretty bad tires that get flat spots very easily and unlike other tires, they do not go away when you start driving. They have had a lot of problems with them. Audi of America told them to change my tires. I guess they are aware of a problem with the Dunlops.
You may want to try changing your tires to a different brand. Michelins are great!
Hope this helps.
J.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sorry, but I think your vibrations will come back with your new michelin in some miles time...

It's not a tyres problem, is a suspension/steer problem and it's increased when the tyres are worn, but it's never cured...

My 2007 A5 has only a bit vibration after balancing the wheels in the best tyre garaje in my city, but when the tyres are cold and in some roads, it still vibrates a little bit, but when the tyres get hot it dissappears, so I have decided to forget it and enjoy my car...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you trying to jinx me labombadiesel? ;)
I've had those Michelin for 5k miles and no change. I only kept the Dunlops for less than 2k and it was horrible the whole 2k even after a few balancing jobs.
For me the tires cured it. Knock on wood. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
for those of you with recurring vibration problems over different cars, can i ask what the road conditions are like where you normally drive? My car had a slight vibration after going over some rough terrain. Taking it in for re-alignment and force balancing made the problem go away. Every time i go over a bad pothole (and there are a lot here unfortunately) the vibrations return, but an alignment and balancing always fixes it straight away.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'll be honest - I had the clunking noise - really bad. I took it in about 3 weeks ago, they had the car for a day, and I got it back completely fixed. I didn't investigate as to what the solution was, but I can find out.

I have a 2010 S5 by the way with no vibrations...
I'm a little surprised they didn't push back because of your mods, but that's really good to hear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately Michelin's are not the fix as well... After about 5,000 miles and once they get worn in the vibration comes back strong... I have tried that as well.. Yes; the turning shutter is because of the power steering hose, but Audi has yet to determine when a fix will be done or a part is made to fix this problem. My Transmission is a major issue as well.. I am doing 15 mph and the car is still in 5th gear while in auto mode. Try going to cross 3 lanes of traffic when the car hasn't downshifted properly... The Lag alone before the car accelerates can be very dangererous.

You can not call me a hater, as I have tried to stick with the B8 platform since 2007 when I got the first S5 coupe. However, my 3 S5's have spent more time in the shop than my previous 40 cars and the worst part is that after 3 years Audi still can not resolve issues they have known about since November of 2007 when i brought the car back to them after only getting 3 miles from the dealer. I am over it...

Hate to leave Audi, but so excited for my E93 M3 cab to arrive...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts