Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Happy New Year. I hope this is the right place for this post - please advise If it is better placed elsewhere.

I just passed my driving test and my friend was coincidentally selling his Audi A5 2.0 TFSI 2008. It has done c117k miles but had an engine rebuild done by Audi in light of the infamous oil consumption issue. It also had a new alternator and belt fitted 15k miles ago. It has a full service history and passed MOT 2 weeks ago with no advisories. I took her for a test drive a couple of days after the MOT and all seemed fine, but when I collected the car 4 days ago, as I was leaving his road the steering wheel felt as so it was tight and there was a creaking as I was turning.

I spoke to my friend about this and he did not think there was any issues he drove us both in it earlier that day, so we just assumed it was how the car is and I will just get used to it. This remained unchained for a few days until yesterday as I was driving down the steering got much tighter and soon after a warning light came up ‘alternator - battery not charging’ and whilst driving back home an ABS light came up and the electricity cut out then turned back on. Once I was stationary I turned the car off and started it back up and it wouldn’t turn on.

I lifted the hood and saw a belt attached to the alternator was jammed down inside and was a little shredded. Had the car recovered and taken to the garage that services it for review tomorrow.

my friend has been great throughout the whole process and has kindly offered to give me the money back and take the car back if I wish. Personally I love the car and already have an attachment to it, but because I am planning to buy a house soon I can’t be affording big expenses on this or over the next 12-24 months until I am able to get a newer car.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on whether it would be worth keeping it or if people think now that it’s 100k+, the expenses will keep cropping up?

many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@MrFergus not sure if this makes a difference to your gut feel, but it was the timing belt that went, not the alternator - would you still take up the refund?

cheers

·
Registered
564 Posts
@MrFergus not sure if this makes a difference to your gut feel, but it was the timing belt that went, not the alternator - would you still take up the refund?

cheers
Timing belt failure can spell the end of an engine, you were lucky but it was only changed 15k miles ago, that’s real strange, what caused it to shred. It’s a bit of a gamble really and you may still have the electrical gremlins to diagnose but the decision is one you’ve to call yourself. If that was me with a looming house purchase I’d possibly look for a younger, lower miles, cheaper run around. 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gents. @MrFergus @nigelbat

I had a look over the documents this evening and it was a Micro-v multi ribbed belt that was replaced with the alternator 15k miles ago and as far as i have read, this is different to the timing belt? There is no sign of timing belt replacement on any docs over the last 7yrs.

although I do think what you are both suggesting would be the smart decision. I think because I like the car so much and feel that I did get a very good deal, im looking for reasons to keep it rather than not to keep it.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2015 S5 Coupe
322 Posts
Feels like it's a heart and not head decision, and there is nothing wrong with that... we have all been there. A question worth asking is what makes this car so special compared to another Audi A5 2.0l?

You are buying a 14 year old car so you should expect there to be some costs involved.

I would also want to understand why the belt snapped if it was changed recently with the alternator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
this is why it is important to have a good relationship with your garage. A good garage will have an opinion on your purchase and I would consider their findings before making a decision. I am in Birmingham and use Stones in Hall Green if you are in travelling distance and need another opinion I would happily recommend them.
Graham.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
As far as I know, the 2.0 petrol engine has a chain, no serviceable belt, so won't be in the service history. But chains still can give problems, so avoid it, change the engine oil regularly and before the recommended interval on the dash. Main cause of chain issues is the hydraulic tensioners and worn chain due to old oil. Although there was a fault on the chain tensioner which VW Audi apparently would repair free of charge.

regarding the shredded auxiliary belt, it looks like there maybe an issue with something like a pulley or tensioner that has caused it to shred. This isn't major worry so long as you find the root cause of the belt shredding.

As others have said cars with 100k miles do need a bit more TLC and some replacement parts, so another example may not be any better and could be worse.

You can get warranties on any car, bought privately or not, just check the small print! Most only guarantee the mechanicals and not serviceable items like the belt. I sold my old A5 3.0tdi through Autotrader and got a free 7 day warranty to give with the car to the new owner that could be extended.

I would put the belt down to unluckiness. But need to see why it shredded. Maybe the garage who did it, made a mistake. Was it whinning at all? Might have simply had the incorrect tension?

Reactions: A5S59659

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of your inputs gents. Much appreciated.

I agree a good garage relationship is important (this is my first car), but the garage my friend has been taking the car too seems like a good place to start building that relationship.

I put any decision making on hold until we heard back from the garage. Turns out it was the tensioner that was knackered (never been replacedand domino effect broke the belt. Was £180 all in to fix it which my friend offered to pay.

I since spoke with the garage and local Audi garage, both have worked on the car over the last 7-8 years and are familiar with the car. They stressed she has been well looked after, serviced every 10k miles and shouldn’t have any dramatic issues other than the TLC hiccups because of age.

Because of the good deal my friend gave me, I have decided to keep her (hopefully not regrettably). Once the house has been purchase I expect I will upgrade anyway, so I’ll ensure she is well looked after and fingers crossed she lasts me 12 months.

thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for all of your inputs gents. Much appreciated.

I agree a good garage relationship is important (this is my first car), but the garage my friend has been taking the car too seems like a good place to start building that relationship.

I put any decision making on hold until we heard back from the garage. Turns out it was the tensioner that was knackered (never been replacedand domino effect broke the belt. Was £180 all in to fix it which my friend offered to pay.

I since spoke with the garage and local Audi garage, both have worked on the car over the last 7-8 years and are familiar with the car. They stressed she has been well looked after, serviced every 10k miles and shouldn’t have any dramatic issues other than the TLC hiccups because of age.

Because of the good deal my friend gave me, I have decided to keep her (hopefully not regrettably). Once the house has been purchase I expect I will upgrade anyway, so I’ll ensure she is well looked after and fingers crossed she lasts me 12 months.

thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m glad you have reached a happy resolution. Good luck with your new car. Stick with your garage if you are happy, good garages are somewhat thin on the ground.
Graham.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts