Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great stuff ... particularly this one (I live right beside this road - 40 miles of fun in each direction):

"What about the A701 Moffat to Edinburgh road? It's one of my favourites. Only one village of note between Moffat and Penicuik, and the rest is hilly with sweeping bends. However, as it goes past the Devil's Beeftub, a particularly spectacular geographical feature, it is prone to scenery-viewing traffic and caravan-pullers at this time of year. Great fun on a dry winter's day though!"

·
Registered
338 Posts
Great stuff ... particularly this one (I live right beside this road - 40 miles of fun in each direction):

"What about the A701 Moffat to Edinburgh road? It's one of my favourites. Only one village of note between Moffat and Penicuik, and the rest is hilly with sweeping bends. However, as it goes past the Devil's Beeftub, a particularly spectacular geographical feature, it is prone to scenery-viewing traffic and caravan-pullers at this time of year. Great fun on a dry winter's day though!"
do I turn right or left at the Missouri border to find these beautiful roads you are talking about? Heading for New Mexico in 3 days so hopefully will find a few drives like what you are describing. Sorry to budge in on your thread.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
do I turn right or left at the Missouri border to find these beautiful roads you are talking about? Heading for New Mexico in 3 days so hopefully will find a few drives like what you are describing. Sorry to budge in on your thread.
These roads that are being talked about are in the UK. :confused:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know SAJ, I was just being an American smartarss. :D Bad attempt at humor I suspect on my part:eek:

Boomer - That's quite a trek from IA to NM - hope you find some good roads. You'll certainly get what we don't get this time of year - decent weather. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
SAJ - you must commute often between Edinburgh & London. What route do you take from Edinburgh - Motorway? A702? A701? A7? A1? Just curious!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
"What about the A701 Moffat to Edinburgh road? It's one of my favourites. Only one village of note between Moffat and Penicuik, and the rest is hilly with sweeping bends.
I have fond memories of this road - lived in the North West for many years and Edinburgh was part of my patch (as a field service engineer) - used to look forward with relish to swinging off the M6 northbound and heading east into the hills. Very challenging route if driven quickly. Did it in a variety of machinery, all relatively mundane but the best of the bunch being a Cavalier Turbo (remember those?) - 200 bhp (sounds pathetic now but for its time, it was a punchy car) and 4wd - what a hoot!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have fond memories of this road - lived in the North West for many years and Edinburgh was part of my patch (as a field service engineer) - used to look forward with relish to swinging off the M6 northbound and heading east into the hills. Very challenging route if driven quickly. Did it in a variety of machinery, all relatively mundane but the best of the bunch being a Cavalier Turbo (remember those?) - 200 bhp (sounds pathetic now but for its time, it was a punchy car) and 4wd - what a hoot!
Ess5ive - yeah, it's a great road! I well remember the Cavalier Turbo - a fast car for its time, perhaps let down a little by a poor chassis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts