Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

apologies i hope no one has asked this before and i do a search but could not find anything, i just about to order my next company car and wasnt sure which red to go for Brilliant Red or Garnet Red? Can you lovely people advise?

Secondly I am unsure of which to go for the 2.0T 180 or the new 2.0 Diesel pros and cons? I dont pay for fuel so that doesnt really bother me other than having to go to the service station.......:p

Thanks,

James

· Registered
3,586 Posts
I think the Garnet Red is a classy looking color, particularly with a Linen Beige interior. For what it's worth, you can see some "real life" photos of Brilliant Red and Garnet Red by clicking the following links. (BTW, I just added the photos of Garnet Red after discovering I could only find one on the site.)

Garnet Red photos

Brilliant Red photos

· Registered
470 Posts
When the F did Garnet Red come out? A little bit of an old people color for me, especially with beige interior, but it sure is pretty.

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Bandar, I agree with the 'geriatric red' comments.

James, Do you have to have Red there are several other nice(r) colours IMHO including Phantom Black.

· Registered
479 Posts
Secondly I am unsure of which to go for the 2.0T 180 or the new 2.0 Diesel pros and cons? I dont pay for fuel so that doesnt really bother me other than having to go to the service station.......
I haven't seen what the emissions for the 2.0TDi are yet. Have a look at the difference between those of the petrol and the diesel and it might make your decision for you in terms of Company Car Tax.

· Registered
55 Posts
the garnet red reminds me of my dad's old jag... although the jag red was a little more maroon-ish.
coming to think about it, that jag red would give the S5 an even classier look.
even so garnet red looks wicked in my opinion.
brilliant red would go well if u want to make more of a statement and attract more attention. it also gives a sportier look to the car.
so the choice of the 2 colours depends on ur age really, brillant red if u're younger and flashier, garnet red if u're more mature want to look classier.

thats my take at least :D

· Registered
470 Posts
even so garnet red looks wicked in my opinion.
brilliant red would go well if u want to make more of a statement and attract more attention. it also gives a sportier look to the car.
so the choice of the 2 colours depends on ur age really, brillant red if u're younger and flashier, garnet red if u're more mature want to look classier.

thats my take at least :D
Garnet red= +85 yrs old

Brilliant red= -64 yrs old

· Banned
34 Posts
Can't think of one reson why anyone would want garnet or magna red:confused::confused: unless they bought off the peg or are colour blind

· Registered
714 Posts
Go S-line and you can get Misano red. Yum yum.

Garnet really doesn't suit the A5 IMHO. When clean and in bright light it can look lovely but it's one of those colours that with the merest dusting of dirt suddenly looks rather dull. Just my opinion.

On the engine choice, the diesel will give you a greater range on a tank of fuel. I haven't driven the new common rail Audis but the pumpe duse 2.0TDi in my A3 was a noisy old lump although it did shift beautifully in the mid range and was pretty economical. The 1.8T in my A5 is so much more refined (very quiet) and others here may be tiring of me posting just how impressed I am with the MPG I'm getting out of it.

Surely the simple answer is to test drive both.

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Correct on the test drive! Not all old A3's are that noisy. The 170bhp unit in wifes O8 Quattro isn't too bad, certainly it is quieter thn the 140bhp unit. (until I compare with my 3.0V6).

Petrol vs Diseasel - ? I suppose if everything else ids equal re costs it rather is down to driving style preference, loads of revs vs loads of torque.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, i wanted an S-LINE but that means i have to have a dark interior, which i am so not happy with but what can you do. Audi if you are listening give us a choice in the leather colour on S-LINE not just black! Hence I looked at the colours and thought black with black interior bit much really, so I thought red with black goes nicely, silver just blends.... BTW I am <30 for your age demographs.

I am concerned getting a solid colour because people have had issues with the brilliant black compared to the phantom black in relation to swirl marks, chipping, etc Audi have told me I would have to take extra care on the brilliant red. Just want to see if they are trying to over sell it.

On the engine the figures are below:-

2.0 TDI 4-cylinder 1968 170BHP
Torque 350/1750-2500
Top Speed 140
0 - 60 8.3
Emissions 140 C02
MPG 53.3

2.0 TFSI 4-cylinder 1984 180BHP
Torque 320/1500-3900
Top Spped 148
Emissions 154
0-60 7.8
MPG 42.8

so with the extra Tax diesel has (3%) on company cars it works out the same, i am just wondering on the tuning side which would offer more with an engine remap? As the petrol has an extra 10 BHP to start with.

Oh and cant test drive the diesel as they havent started production ;-) they starting feb 2009

· Registered
6,346 Posts
If you don't like the Black/black go for a sport and you can have Y Spokes too.

RG

· Registered
549 Posts
(Deep breath)

IMHO

GERMAN CARS SHOULD NEVER BE RED! I'm pretty sure that whenever an Audi, BMW or Mercedes designer sketches an new idea they NEVER imagine it in red.

If your passion is red then I say, "Save up for a Ferrari!"

FYI, when I can, I will be ordering my Ferrari in red

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi RGB,

I would like to go for sport but it doesnt have the side skirts, rear defuser and lights, to put these on with the NAV and B+O pushes me over my car allowance shame! I just wish Audi would realise that we dont all want black.

regards,

James

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Black outside is great but inside it can be a bit austere. It's OK if you have a sun roof though so that might be an option although ? £800 for one that doesn't open is a rip off, on the other hand on an A3 sportback 'Open Sky' (2 roofs) for £1000? is a bargain.

Re the A5, are you really that worried about skirts?

· Registered
714 Posts
on the other hand on an A3 sportback 'Open Sky' (2 roofs) for £1000? is a bargain.
Yeah , if you like road/wind noise. I had Open Sky on my A3 and although it did make the car feel much roomier inside (especially with a light grey interior) it made the car much noisier. Even on Open Sky only one of the glass panels opens (contrary to what both Audi customer service and the local dealership told me).

· Registered
6,346 Posts
No problem with road/wind noise on our Open Sky A3 Sportback. and we had one without previously! All the details I have seen state the front opens and tilts, seems you were given duff info.

On the A/S5 the sunroof doesn't even open fully, just flips up BUT as a suggestion to let in some light it could work.

Better option may be to upgrade a Sport with lighter interior.

Cheers

· Registered
174 Posts
I have a brillant red s5 with the black interior and the sunroof and i am delighted with my choice. The sunroof although it doesnt slide it does look good on the car and brightens up the interior nicely. I went for the red as the roads are full of black and silver cars and wanted something different. The choice is yours but i am sure you will not regret going for red.

· Registered
152 Posts
I ordered initially my A5 in IBIS WHITE but changed my mind to Brilliant Red so my opinion is quit obvious:) The only negative thing I can say about Brilliant Red is that it scratches fairly easily and get stone chips (soft paint surface).

But the color looks great on A5/S5!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.