Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, noticed that APS now have available the Brembo disc upgrade available for the S5, Cross-drilled or grooved available - they'll be able to supply these from next week or thereabouts.

Check them out at: http://www.autops.co.uk/html/audi_s5.html and contact Ed Jackson for details.......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Nice one, I was waiting for something that could work on the stock set-up, i'm assuming they have matching pads to go with them?

This will be something i'll do if the motor doesn't sell.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The company that makes my brakes, Rotora, also has direct rotor replacements available in slotted or drilled + slotted. I should be getting rear replacements shortly, will most likely go with a slotted set.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I need to find a setup that won't dust as much as the stock on the S5. Holy crap talk about dirty rims!:eek:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I need to find a setup that won't dust as much as the stock on the S5. Holy crap talk about dirty rims!:eek:
+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone comes out with brake pads that provide even 30% less brake dust than the stock pads, I will be all over that! When your wheels have lips like mine, the brake dust really shows up. Hate it! :mad:

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
rotora brake setup

Did you have yours chromed? I only saw options for red or blue?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes, mine are chromed from Rotora.... they can custom make any color you want, just takes a little longer and costs a little more.

Apologies to Ess5ive, I don't want to threadjack this Brembo thread any more, if there's more interest in the Rotora setup let's start a new thread or continue this discussion on the Rotora thread.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/stop-5166/index.html

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Are the replacement Brembo rotors 2-piece as the pictures suggest?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hang on! That's only £650 a piece! Where do I sign!

Seriously though, think I'll just get one piece on each side and save-up for the rest.

(That's the kind of prudent approach RG would approve of.)

Edit. Actually, oh no, he wouldn't. 'Drilled discs? What an absurd, I say absurd waste of money! You replace perfectly serviceable standard discs with ones that have much of the surface material removed through the crude act of drilling! And then pay one thousand and three hundred British Pounds for the privilege?!! Outrageous, you ridiculous little man! And why? To Get Down With The Homies Of The Hood? Ridiculous and wasteful. That sort of money would buy a new caravan, or feed a family of sixteen on muesli for a month. Vulgar? It's not the word!'

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I might be missing something, but I believe that costs more than OE 2-piece drilled RS6 rotors. Followers of the APS brake kit thread may know where I'm going with this.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a follower and I'm coming along with you. Ed said it was just 'crazy Brembo pricing strategy' and cited some examples (the usual Scooby/Evo fitment) where a full set of 6 pot callipers & discs could be had from Brembo for less than the price of these rotors. It's called 'pricing to what you believe your target market will bear'. I.e. '£45K on the car? Hmmmmm, shall we say.....£1300? Agreed? Done!'

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm a follower and I'm coming along with you. Ed said it was just 'crazy Brembo pricing strategy' and cited some examples (the usual Scooby/Evo fitment) where a full set of 6 pot callipers & discs could be had from Brembo for less than the price of these rotors. It's called 'pricing to what you believe your target market will bear'. I.e. '£45K on the car? Hmmmmm, shall we say.....£1300? Agreed? Done!'
Looks like I won't be going with these, what a load of bollocks :mad: but it actually doesn't suprise me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quick FYI - I posed an inquiry regarding the availability of this kit here in the States to Zeckhausen Racing (http://www.zeckhausen.com/) and here was the President/owner's extremely informative response:

"This is what's known in the brake industry as a "move-out" kit. It takes your existing caliper and moves it out with a relocating bracket to fit over a larger diameter rotor. Unfortunately, it also screws up your brake balance, since it increases the brake torque at the front wheels by the same percentage as the rotor radius changes.

What's the result of increasing your front brake torque without a corresponding percentage increase in the rear? Longer stopping distances. (Except in the case where the stock brakes would have been fade limited and the larger rotors are not yet fading.) This is because the front tires reach saturation sooner and begin to lock up (engage ABS) before the rear tires have reached their maximum braking potential.

Unstable stability control is also a concern. ABS is adaptive (closed-loop) and will eventually converge on a solution that gets your car stopped, while maintaining the ability to steer. But stability control is open loop. If your car goes into a skid, the car "hits" the brakes at one or more corners of your car. If the brake torque reaction is much greater than what the system expects, then the car over-corrects the problem and can potentially make it worse or at least take longer to stabilize the car.

Over-amplification of the brakes is the final issue. With a move-out kit installed in the front or at all four corners, the amount of brake torque for a given driver input will be greater than stock. Under panic stop situations, it may make it more difficult for the driver to accurately modulate the brakes. It's like driving a car with too much brake boost.

What's your real goal here? What are you trying to accomplish with this brake "upgrade" for the Audi? Is there something your stock brakes are not doing well that you hope to correct?"

Based upon this feedback, it looks like I will need to save for a BBK :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here is some additional feedback from Zeckhausen Racing when I replied that my desire was to have lower unsprung weight due to the two piece rotors:

"You may have reduced total unsprung weight by a couple of pounds if you switched from the 345x30mm stock rotors with the 2-piece 380x34mm discs. However, your polar moment of inertia would have been significantly worse, since the distribution of the total mass of your brakes would have moved further away from the hub. This would have robbed you of horsepower and added to the gyroscopic forces affecting your ride and handling. All the weight savings in that 2-piece set-up are concentrated near the hub - the part that's replaced by aluminum. Sure it's "unsprung" weight, but it's also the least important unsprung weight because of where it's located. Far more significant would have been to shave a pound or two from the weight of your tires.

The only reason the move-out upgrade would have made sense was if you were desperate for the additional thermal capacity of the larger rotors (better cooling through improved airflow and increased surface area) because you were constantly fading your stock brakes."

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I might be missing something, but I believe that costs more than OE 2-piece drilled RS6 rotors. Followers of the APS brake kit thread may know where I'm going with this.
...well it WAS... but Audi have cottoned on to the fact that these can be used for upgrades and increased the price of the RS6 brake components by 50%... yes that's a whole 50%... it's now over £2,000 for the conversion (fitted) as a result. It's still cheaper than the brembo BB kit is (supply only) but Audi have pulled a fast one here. B*stards.

As for the Brembo sport disc conversion... Personally, I'd pay up to £800 for OE replacement two piece discs. any more than this just doesn't represent value.

ARE YOU LISTENING BREMBO?

:no:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.