Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I got my S5 for 2 months now and I am enjoying it a lot. The only problem I got is brake noise. It comes from front right brakes and it started recently. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and what they did?Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to have it, but it then dissapeared by itself but now in the last 2-3 weeks I've got it back, really annoying and it feels like I'm driving an old Volvo 240 (that model was quite famous to have the problem) ...
Got to ask my dealer to have a look at it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
This is something that is common to Audi. Most recently I know they have a major issue on the TT-S at the moment where by the breaks are squeeling all the time.

On a few occassions i've noticed it on my car, but it happens on rare occassions which I think can be just due to dirt getting inbetween the pad and disc.

I would also suggest you take it to the dealer and make sure it's sorted out as it's not normal to have this problem.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...A little bit of axle grease applied to the discs should solve the problem!

...Of course you now have the problem of how to stop the car!!!!

PS... this is a joke DO NOT DO THIS!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is a TSB about brake squeal : 2017130/3 from December 16, 2008.

The bulletin says to power disc sand the rotors with 80-grit sandpaper, remove any adhesive from the back of the pads, clean the pads with sandpaper and chamfer the leading edge. Then, apply brake grease to the caliper where it comes in contact with the pads.

Looks like it should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Awsome, thanks Folkie!! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got this problem when it's cold outside (under 35 F). When I'm braking from 8 to 0 mph. After a while it goes away but it's pretty embarrasing when you've got a 60K car that sounds like that.

I took my car in for its 5000K maintenance. The mechanic said that's just how Audi brakes are and that there's not much he can do. He fed me a bunch of mess about how theres little pieces of metal in the brake pads and how he would put up with the noise for the performance of the brakes.

On a side note......those b*stards forgot to refill my windshield wiper fluid!:eek:

·
Registered
677 Posts
The more metallic a pad the more likely it is to squeal from pad compounding. However street brakes are always compounded for low squealing.

Cold weather will increase the problem. Especially at low levels of pressure. Applying just a bit more pressure will cause the squealing to go away.

The squealing is caused by the pad vibrating on the rotor or caliper or pistons. Excessive brake dust can increase the distance in these areas causing increased noise. Clean the caliper area specifically to remove brake dust and the squealing will decrease.

If you think these brakes are bad. Try stock Subaru STi brakes. Like nails on a chalkboard almost constantly. With massive amounts of pad dust also.

BTW, I have been getting squealing at low speeds when it is below 35F and it has been too cold to properly wash out the calipers. Two days ago it got above 40F and I was able to give a proper wash a fresh coat of wax and get most of the brake dust out. This morning it was 20F and no brake squeal. I should be good for at least 1 or 2 more days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts