Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

BMW M3 or Audi S5

6K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  1000songs 
#1 ·
Hello everyone~

I am new to this forum. I am planning to get a new car BMW M3 or Audi S5. I was a Bimmer Fan no matter what? but as soon as I saw S5, I could not decide which car I am going to get. There both nice cars. I am in the military. one of my civilian co-worker has bimmer and Audi. BMW 330i is my c-workers' Audi A6 is her husband's. She was over at Germany. She said over at Europe Audi is more popular than BMW. just state side think MB or BMW are nice and luxury. I told her, I like BMW too. but when I heard Audi is more popular. which mean lots of people over at Europe driving Audi. I talk to one of the sales manager at Audi. I have to sign up and wait, so I signed up decided to wait.

anyone can tell me which is better? or compare BMW M3 Coupe and Audi S5?
if someone can tell me. I will be very thankful.^^

trying to get

ext: phantom black
int: black nappa leather
package: Tech package
Navigation package
option: B&O premium sound system
carbon interior trim

Thamk you for reading this.^^

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey ryan,

I am sure many ppl on this forum will agree that the S5 and the M3 are two very different beasts. The S5 is a very luxurious, yet powerful GT car, whereas the M3 is a nearly pure all out sports car. There is no doubt who will win the performance aspect of this comparison, however the S5 just has something over the M3 in my mind that I cannot really pinpoint.

The S5 has one the best interiors I have ever seen and I really think it is one the best looking cars on the street today. It is a big car, so its not going to handle like the M3 either, but who cares, how often are you really gonna track the car to see its true potential.

I was also struggling between and M3 and an S5 some time ago, mainly because the only real problem with the S5 is that the wait time to get one is dial-up internet slow. I ordered mine in Feb. and I just recently found out that I will be getting it early next month. So I can't personally tell you that its worth the wait, but after hearing nearly what every person who has taken delivery has to say, I think we can be rest assured that its worth it.

Sorry for the long reply, but I just have the S5 on my mind all day now since the day is drawing nearer.

#4 ·
For me, it simply came down to the interior. I really do not like the BMW interiors - that's where you spend your time.

I actually do like the looks of the BMW M and regular 3 series, but not enough to bump the S5 - which is also nice from the outside! :)

#5 ·
#8 ·
Exterior & Interior

Hi Ryan,

I currently have an S5. My previous car was a 2005 M3 with Competition Package.

When my lease was up I was ready to go into a new M3 until I saw how weird and ugly it looked. The interior was also far below the S5. I mean, like many other BMW guys I just couldn't stand the new BMW look and designs by Chris Bangle. We bitched and bitched in letters to editor in Roundel Magazine, had online petitions to BMWto get rid of the guy but to no avail. New BMW's are called 'Bangle Mangles' by a lot of the guys in the BMW Car Club. I hate anything designed by Chris Bangle and I was not going to spend 1 cent of mine on anything he designed.

I had nowehere to land and then the gorgeous and sexy S5 came to my RESCUE. The S5 is by far the best car I've ever had. Even though I've had it since late Nov., I still can't wait to get behind the wheel.

Dr Strangelove

#9 ·
Ok, I just trsded my A-5 s-line for a M3 coupe 6-spd. I got tired of the waiting game from audi on my S5.

The Audi A5/S5 is a more refined elegant vehicle. The M3 being the more performance vehicle. It is a monster in a suite and tie. The interior on the Audi is far more rifined as well. Material quality is equal but beauty is not. The bmw is built to perform and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it but the audi is more a thing of beauty.

I would go for a RS-5 in a heartbeat if it ever comes out. I'm toying with the idea of an R8. But Audi SUCKS when it comes to delivering what it promises.

#10 ·
It is a monster in a suite and tie.
In the UK its a monster with a cock driving it. Thats one of its biggest issues here. Great car but poor image.

#11 ·
#12 ·
One Other Data Point

I've been doing a lot of traveling this summer, Florida, California, Canada, Nevada and upstate New York the last five weekends (Yes, I'm ready to stay home for awhile) During that time, the only weekend where I haven't spent less than four hours on the road was in California, Fresno area. I can't tell you how many BMWs 3-series or even Ms I've spotted, but I couldn't even count the Ms on my fingers let alone the regular 3-series. They seem to be everywhere...I've seen exactly one A5/S5 coming toward me with the DRLs, and that was last weekend in upstate New York; couldn't tell if it was a A or an S.

I'm not suggesting that rarity should be a factor in your decision, and from everything I've read, if you want performance, then the M3 is a better choice. But the S5 isn't going to give up a lot on the performance side, and after several long road trips in it, it is one of the most comfortable cars I've owned. Like one other poster said, he can't wait to drive his S5; Mine was in the shop for four days getting two bent rims fixed, and by the time I got it back, I couldn't wait to fire it up...

#13 ·
It's business or pleasure in my opinion. By that I mean, as has been mentioned before, M3 is business in the sense that the interior is very spartan because the car i s meant to be driven anddriven hard. The S5 however is pleasure because it is meant to be enjoyed and is appropriately aportioned with more luxury inside.

As for the outside, I live in California and quite frankly with the exception of the new bump in the hood of the BMW, all the 3 series look alike and I see way too many on the road. So far I've seen over 30 of the new M3's, coupe and sedan, on the road and I personally wanted a little something more unique. I have also been in the VAG family for a long time and have always liked the quality and reliability that I have grown accustomed to with these cars.

As mentioned, they are two very different cars and the choice, I think outside of the waiting game, is purely a matter of what you want with the car - power or elegance.

I will tell you this, I took european delivery and have been driving here in Germany for a few days now. Whether on the Autobahn or just sitting people are taking pictures of the car and I have yet to see that with the M3's I've seen over here. That to me says a lot for this car especially in Munich where BMW is king.

Cheers.

#14 · (Edited)
so i saw the M3 for the first time in person 2 days ago. two people on my trading floor got theirs this week. one is the 4 door and the other is the hardtop convertible. i have to say that the hardtop is amazingly nice. i didnt expect to be as impressed with it as i was. it looks great with the top up (which is a change) and looks great with the top down. if i didnt live in the land of much rain sleet and snow, id find myself wishing i had one...

took a short drive in the convertible, but as its not broken in, the woman who owns it did not want to get crazy. i personally think my S5 sounds much better than the V8 in the convertible. and of course the S5 interior is nicer, but the M3 is not bad inside by any means. im really anxious for her to break it in so we can try out the double clutch tranny for real. im sure its going to blow me away.

in short, after seeing the M3 in person, i have a newfound appreciation for it. it is a sexy car. but in terms of sex appeal it still cant match the artistry that went into the S5. and the bottom line is the M3 is still a 80,000 3-series. might as well get a year old 911 at that point...

one last thing. i STILL have the only S5/A5 on the floor here, while there are 2 M3s already (im sure more on the way) and way more than a couple of the new 335's as well. that may be due in part to audi not supplying enough cars (i know for a fact that the M3 sedan owner was waiting for an A5 order for months then bailed to the M3), but either way seems the S5 is undeniably more "exclusive"

#16 ·
What happens when the S5 is as common as 335i?

So what will happen once Audi achieves it's goal of being the #1 premium car by 2012 and the A4/A5/S5 is as commonplace as a Toyota Camry (in the US anyway)?

I've read a lot about how common the BMW M3 and 335i is - which is a testament to how fine of a vehicle BMW has created. Let's not forget the M3 is more expensive than the S5 and BMW's resale value is still the best in the country and way above any Audi.

The fact that the S5 is "so rare" is only because Audi didn't handle it's launch, production forecast and customer care very well at all with the intro of this car. Heck, I would argue that the launch of the R8 (my favorite) was better handled than the A5/S5.

So, back to my question - would all the S5 owners still pick the S5 over the M3 IF both were as common place? Take away the "rare" and "exclusivity" factor and what's the answer. I can bet you an limitless producing oil well that if Audi had their act together, they would (and will try) to make the A4/A5/S5 a high volume commodity product.

Audi has a lot of growing up to do... especially when it comes to treating it's existing and new customers. The A5/S5 launch proves that point hands down.

I just hope they find their way soon now that gas in heading north and the fuel inefficient quattro system is heading south. I also don't think a supercharged V6 is the answer to a well thought out V8; especially at the prices of these cars today.

#23 ·
#28 ·
Wes, looks like you're dusting off a rather old thread from back in July. I seriously doubt Ryan cares anymore since he hasn't been active on the site in quite some time. :)

#30 ·
Simply based on looks and exclusivity I would pick the S5 over the M3. The S5 is one of the best looking cars on the road today!

However, if other factors matter to you like service and reliability I personally think BMW is better. I previously owned a 1999 BMW 328 and a 2000 Audi A6 and the Bimmer was much more reliable, and the service better......and it included free maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.