Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the privilege of driving a new S5, wow what an amazing car. I have owned 4 BMW 3 series cars and 1 BMW X5, and thought that I would never own any other type of car, but now I have a real decision to make and would love some opinions from anyone willing to provide one.

What I have heard from a group of friends and colleagues is that the reliability of Audi cars is poor, and repairs are costly, is this a common perception of Audi owners or the thoughts of a couple of dissatisfied customers?

Also one of my favorite features on my 2007 BMW 330xi is the break assist (the break is engaged for three seconds after you release the break giving the clutch time to engage on an incline) associated with the manual transmission - does the S5 have that feature?

I have read all of the comments on the site and the more I read the more likely I am to buy and Audi S5 as my next vehicle. I was intrigued by the review one BMW M3 owner did comparing the two vehicle it was very honest.

Feedback would be appreciated - thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What I have heard from a group of friends and colleagues is that the reliability of Audi cars is poor,
Not for a long time. Indeed, they are known for their build quality.

and repairs are costly, is this a common perception of Audi owners or the thoughts of a couple of dissatisfied customers?
I have had BMW, Jaguar and Land Rover before the Audi and they are all much the same when you compare like for like.

I think you have a lot more "budget" audi drivers out there driving old A4s which they can finally afford after years of depreciation without realising that servicing costs for most premium brands are higher than Ford or Vauxhall. Next time you are out, just look at how many old A4s you see on the road.

Also one of my favorite features on my 2007 BMW 330xi is the break assist (the break is engaged for three seconds after you release the break giving the clutch time to engage on an incline) associated with the manual transmission - does the S5 have that feature?
Similar option exists. Auto brake. When you stop, the auto brake activates and you can release the footbrake and the car will not roll backwards. It releases as you move forward (or backward by choice). Its a love or hate option but I love it.

Today it was wet and dull and the lights on the front were drawing everyone's attention to the car. It really stood out with the shape and colour of the LEDs. This included many BMW drivers who perhaps wouldnt have given an Audi a second look unless it was an R8 or RS4.

More than any other car I have owned, I just want to drive this one. I dont care where, how long and what the traffic is. You just get such a thrill out of sitting in that cockpit. I hardly listen to the radio now as I just want to hear that V8 gurgle. I find myself just going out for a drive or taking the long way home just to extend the time I am driving it.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I think you have a lot more "budget" audi drivers out there driving old A4s which they can finally afford after years of depreciation without realising that servicing costs for most premium brands are higher than Ford or Vauxhall. Next time you are out, just look at how many old A4s you see on the road.
I don't know what the parts about "finally affording" or not realizing...something (?) about servicing costs mean, but "hear hear" to the rest. Until my A5 arrives, I'm in a '96 A4 that has been a dream to own. My A4 has been nothing less than a tank. It has held together so well (inside and out) and let me go out of warranty without much worry, such that I have waited all this time for someone to come out with a car that made me want to resume having a car note on a depreciating asset! (Geez...maybe I AM budget minded!).

That car was actually the 335i, which I was gearing up to buy. But then came the A5/S5 and I..just...fell...in..love with a first year Audi model all over again :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I have heard from a group of friends and colleagues is that the reliability of Audi cars is poor, and repairs are costly, is this a common perception of Audi owners or the thoughts of a couple of dissatisfied customers?
I can't speak for Audi's reliability as I am a new 1st time owner myself (2 weeks now), but I also own a e46 330i. Besides BMW, I own or owned several other brands in the past including Honda, Land Rover, Porsche, Mitsubishi and Mazda. Out of these, guess which one has been to the dealer the most for warranty repairs?......my BMW.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have owned many Audis of all sorts (I think 15 or 16 now) and I have no idea why this unreliable crap persists frankly. True I usually do not own them beyond 50,000 miles so I can't talk about those types of costs, but over the years I have rarely had any problems which required a loaner car while repairs are being done (except for my one accident--oops).

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would be the honest m3 owner. And I gotta say, audi won me over, that is why i have a deposit on an s5.

The new m3 is just gonna end up too much money. Plus there are ALWAYS issues on initial release M cars, so I can always get one after the kinks are out. The new 3 series are bland, and the 5 is...well...Im ready to get married, but I'm not ready to feel THAT old. 6 series...80k, nuff said.

The thing that did it for me was really the interior on the S5. The exterior is definitly an eye catcher, but that interior is where you live and I haven't seen a nicer coupe interior outside of maserati, bentley, or jaguar (maybe). So, I for one am ready to test what I have heard; that once you own a bmw, you will always miss it. My love of BMW's doesn't overcome my love of cars in general, and I think most BMW enthusiasts eventually realize it ain't about brand...it's about car. In this segment I think Audi just put a hurtin on BMW. Owning it for a while could prove me wrong, but I don't think I will miss my m3 or any other BMW for that matter.

I will guarantee there are going to be "former BMW guys" all over this board in 6 months time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just had the privilege of driving a new S5, wow what an amazing car. I have owned 4 BMW 3 series cars and 1 BMW X5, and thought that I would never own any other type of car, but now I have a real decision to make and would love some opinions from anyone willing to provide one.

I have read all of the comments on the site and the more I read the more likely I am to buy and Audi S5 as my next vehicle. I was intrigued by the review one BMW M3 owner did comparing the two vehicle it was very honest.

Of consumer reports reliability charts, Audi was #14 overall 2007 and ahead of the other german manufacturers, including BMW and MB. Land Rover was dead last at #45 I believe.

I don't think Audi lacked reliability in the states, Audi got a bad rap in the mid to late 80's, over what was a considered a design flaw, where by people would step on the accelerator thinking it was the break. 60 minutes made a show on it, it nearly ruined Audi in the U.S. and they were going to pull out of U.S. Market, the fact was 60 minutes carefully staged car as such, and the design was not a flaw but geared towards European drivers who used heal/toe method for shifting gears. U.S. customers not accustomed to driving manuals by then, could easily mistake the accelerator for the break due to the size of each pedal.

The point, you've driven the S5, simply compare it's build quality to that of BMW, and you have your awnser, pay attention to the seems and fit and finish, look at something as simple as the buttons, you'll find build quality of Audi is 2nd to none. Because, they always got the rap as being the little brother of the luxury german brands, they had to step up their game big time. And Audi is considered best of build qualities now and set the standard in terms of interior and so forth. There president has made it a point to make Audi undisputed most reliable and well it's paying off. Bottom line, it's a no brainer right now. The S5 is simply gorgeous, and set a new bar.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very well put Arcadia. All true about the 60 minutes issue, it's amazing that something like that is still lurking in the minds of consumers, but there is no question that the fear trigger that report set off is still lingering out there.

And I 100% agree that being the underdog has made Audi work harder. Changes in the the marketplace of every industry happen becaue the top guys lose their edge and everyone else is playing at the top of their game becuase they have to.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with either BMW or Audi. Personally, those are the only two brands that interest me. I don't relate to Mercedes and dislike their image but Audi and BMW have always excited me with their products. The new S5 takes the mid-range coupe to a new level. The fit and finish, quality, and refinment is excellent. I compared the 335 and S5 extensively before finally deciding on the S5. After driving them both, I can't fault either but it's the S5 that excites and impresses me the most. It just looks, feels, drives like a stand-out model in it's class. I've had multiple Audi's since the first B5 A5 and have yet to have a reliability concern. They are every bit as reliable (in my experience) as BMW. I think if there is any German auto manufacturer to watch out for, it is Mercedes and VW. I'm sure they are improving also, but they have had poor records for reliability over the last 3-5 years. Repair costs are likely expensive, but doubtful there is much difference from BMW, both likely less expensive than Mercedes. Purchase the Audi Care and you'll have scheduled maintenance included with the vehicle. It runs 590 USD but if you're leasing, you can add an additional 1% to your residual which balances it out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
cbrand: I think you've got your answer! I too currently own a 330ci but had no hesitation in ordering an S5 as my next car for all th reasons given in the other posts. In any event just because this and my last car (another 330) have both been as reliable as a swiss railway timetable still wasn't a reason to buy a 335. Having never owned an Audi my perception is that they are reliable anyway. By the same token I would concede I've never bought an Alfa no matter how gorgeous they have looked because of the belief it wouldn't be reliable, something would fall off it pretty quickly and the thing would depreciate at an alarming rate too. In any event, what's not to like about an S5!! But I particularly like the interior of the S5 - the only car whose interior I like the look and feel of better is an Aston!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Audi Reliability

I have owned a few AUdi's (and VWs) the latest being a 2000 S4, now with 36k miles on it.

I would say the build quality is very good on all Audis and the overal reliability is very good, its never failed to start or left me stranded. If things do fail they tend to be minor things (not like Engines, gearboxes etc), for example on my S4, over 7 years;

- auto dimming rear view mirror fluid leaked internally - new mirror cost $250
- windshield washer tank started leaking - cost $60
- ABS controller (electronics malfunctioned, Bosch design flaw) - $500
- MAS airflow sensor - covered under emission warranty - $250
- Lambda sensors - all 4 intermittment before 60k mile life - $500 approx

If you look at all of most of these parts they are made by Bosch which is in use by BMW also;-)

My point is that the relaibility issues are mostly comming from manfacturing life issues withe the compoents rather than anything to do with a relaible design, which is really first class.

I have just purchased all the S5 study guides - from an Engineering standpoint they are a joy to read and illustrate the advanced and well thought out design of the S5. For example , anyone read about the intelligent power saving software that preserves the battery charge for long periods when the car is not been used? or the use of ultra high strength hot formed steel used for exception chassis ridigity? (first time use on the A5/S5)

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I have owned many Audis of all sorts (I think 15 or 16 now) and I have no idea why this unreliable crap persists frankly. True I usually do not own them beyond 50,000 miles so I can't talk about those types of costs, but over the years I have rarely had any problems which required a loaner car while repairs are being done (except for my one accident--oops).
I've never heard anything about Audis being unreliable before. I've had my A4 from new and its just over 6 years old now and done 106,000 miles and the only problem i've ever had with it was the MAF which was a known common problem across the VAG TDI range of engines. Even still it was £200 to have it fixed and other than that the car has only had very slight hick ups but nothing major or unexpected for a car of this age and mileage. One other thing to note is that it had no problems till it got past about 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm a possible BMW defector too :)

I had an A4 back in 1995, only reason I left the Audi fold was that the A4 was a dog, one of the first produced - windows would go down overnight, wind coming through the door handles and door pulls, and the speaker covers, and a mysterious untraceable oil leak that couldnt be fixed - I moved to BMW in 1988, and hadn't been back till this year when we bought a TT.

Oh, the dealer fixed the air leak through the speakers by putting some hardboard behind the speaker cover, totally muffling the speakers !!! :eek:

My brother in law has had Audis over all that time and swears by the reliability. The TT , touch wood, is going well too - so I'd have faith to come back :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't speak for Audi's reliability as I am a new 1st time owner myself (2 weeks now), but I also own a e46 330i. Besides BMW, I own or owned several other brands in the past including Honda, Land Rover, Porsche, Mitsubishi and Mazda. Out of these, guess which one has been to the dealer the most for warranty repairs?......my BMW.

haha i know what you mean..
good thing they were warranty repairs..
i had problems where my alarm for some reason messed up during y2k and wouldn't let me unlock my rear doors or open my front windows..so for a couple days after the holidays i had to climb in to my car through the back window...no joke!

other than that..mechanically the car is very good..love the handling and power of the car.

i can't wait for to have a go at the audi =)

·
Registered
60 Posts
cbrand: I think you've got your answer! I too currently own a 330ci but had no hesitation in ordering an S5 as my next car for all th reasons given in the other posts. In any event just because this and my last car (another 330) have both been as reliable as a swiss railway timetable still wasn't a reason to buy a 335. Having never owned an Audi my perception is that they are reliable anyway. By the same token I would concede I've never bought an Alfa no matter how gorgeous they have looked because of the belief it wouldn't be reliable, something would fall off it pretty quickly and the thing would depreciate at an alarming rate too. In any event, what's not to like about an S5!! But I particularly like the interior of the S5 - the only car whose interior I like the look and feel of better is an Aston!
Twin brother? I had an E46 330I too and zero problems over 5.5 years. Switching to S5 as the newer BMW lines are just plain fugly and boring (boring looking that is). V8 Vantage was my other option but for the reasons of practicality, functionality, my clients drulling and cancelling my checks, and just becuse it would look lame doing daily grocery shopping in an AM I decided not to go that route. This also allowes my to save an equivalent of another S5. V8 Vantage would be my love affair (interior, exterior, at each angle, from top and the bottom; and yes, the sound ......). Ther S5 will just be a car (I hope a good one). Say hi to my Polish cousins in Brisbane if you run into them.
Cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
Having owned many Audis and two BMWs (X5 and 330xi), I can reassure you that reliability and build quality is equal or superior. And, having seen and driven the S5 (_after_ ordering it), I can tell you I am pumped!
Stavros

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anothe M3 defector

I, too am a BMW defector. The lease expired on my 2004 M3 and I leased a PB S5 about 4 weeks ago.

My primary reason for leaving BMW was their UGLY designs. I refused to spend one cent on Chris Bangle's UGLY designs. Also, the new M3 is nothing more that a 335i with a V8, will be over 70K and is even uglier than than the 3 series it's based upon. It's also interesing to look at the Chicago Trib on Sundays and look at all of the BMW lease offers. I suspect that they are doing this to move their cars due to soft demand.

I love the S5's exterior and interior looks. Also, I like the ride quality of the S5 and the snarl of the engine when I rev it. The techonology on the S5 is also amazing. Interestingly, when my wife drove the S5 for the first time she stated that it was a real "move up" over my M3. I can only agree.

Strangelove

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have to agree the new m3 looks worse than the 335ic's
...their designs have definitely gone downhill after "bangle-ing" everything.

at least the 3 series looks descent, look at what they have done to the 7 and 5 series...bleh! they have eyebrows/ lashes for goodness sakes..

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it was a question of interior only, between Audi and BMW, the Audi wins by a long way. I especially love the evening welcome you get from the Audi. Like the car is asking "Good evening sir. Please take a seat. Where would you like to go this evening ?" :)

It's ironic how BMW used to do the wrap-around cockpit style dash, and now Audi are the masters of this style and BMW have abandoned it for the "cold" angular, unwelcoming upright and straight across style :rolleyes:

"Cabin Crew, doors to manual and cross-check, ready for take off"..

"Good evening sir. Please take a seat. Where would you like to go this evening ?"..

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I, too am a BMW defector. The lease expired on my 2004 M3 and I leased a PB S5 about 4 weeks ago.

My primary reason for leaving BMW was their UGLY designs. I refused to spend one cent on Chris Bangle's UGLY designs. Also, the new M3 is nothing more that a 335i with a V8, will be over 70K and is even uglier than than the 3 series it's based upon. It's also interesing to look at the Chicago Trib on Sundays and look at all of the BMW lease offers. I suspect that they are doing this to move their cars due to soft demand.

I love the S5's exterior and interior looks. Also, I like the ride quality of the S5 and the snarl of the engine when I rev it. The techonology on the S5 is also amazing. Interestingly, when my wife drove the S5 for the first time she stated that it was a real "move up" over my M3. I can only agree.

Strangelove
I actually liked the 3 series design, not as much as the A5 but i didn't think it was ugly by any means. The M3 has had lots of negative feedback only because people were expecting more from it as it smashed its rivals last time round. The only thing is, the M3's rivals have learned from their mistakes and moved their game on thus the reason for the new M3 having such a wow factor when it arrived.

Its not just an 335i with a V8 because then thats like saying the S5 is a A5 with a V8. Yes they are based on the same structure but they have had so many tweaks to suspension, geometery and electronics that they are then no longer the same car.

Many people have said the M3 is over priced but I've never heard anyone complain about the price of the RS4. It is both these cars that at the same level. Its not M3 v S5 as speed and handeling wise the M3 would actually destroy the S5 (but this would most likely only be seen on a track or in a straight line on the motorway).

I've never owned a BMW in my life and am therefore definitely not a BMW fanatic, however I do believe credit should be given where it is due.

Just one more thing - Topgear last night RS4 vs M3 vs C63: M3 came out on top.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts