Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen my car y'day in pound getting it next Wed but just wondering what phones work with the bluetooth and don't quote 'the list' because if its like BMW it will be so out of date The best guide is us the users at the coal face so to speak that knows what works and what doesn't ie the address book etc
I have a Samsung U600 which worked perfectly with my e90 BMW so again whats everyone using?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I asked a similar question in another thread (albeit for U.S. model phones). Folks from various countries have responded with the make/model phones they're using.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've tried a few with mine over the last few weeks. Samsung D900 & E900 - both shite! Motorola SLVR L7 - very good. Current phone - Nokia N95 - very good and with sim access profile you can even get text nessages. Overall the SLVR is better 'cos it downloads all your previous received/missed calls, wheras the Nokia only lists those since you connected. The plus side of the Nokia is better signal strength since the sim access profile uses the car's roof ariel. My 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried a few with mine over the last few weeks. Samsung D900 & E900 - both shite! Motorola SLVR L7 - very good. Current phone - Nokia N95 - very good and with sim access profile you can even get text nessages. Overall the SLVR is better 'cos it downloads all your previous received/missed calls, wheras the Nokia only lists those since you connected. The plus side of the Nokia is better signal strength since the sim access profile uses the car's roof ariel. My 2 cents worth!
sim access profile, excuse my ignorance but what is it and how do we get it.

·
Registered
292 Posts

With non sim access profile phones, the handset itself is doing all the work, sending the phone book, etc via BT to the car and making receiving calls via BT. With sim access profile phones, the car's internal phone kit is doing all the work and the handset itself is merely a sim reader via BT. With the former, you see a phone icon in the MMI, with the latter, you see a sim card icon in the MMI. As far as I'm aware, in the UK only Nokia N-series phones have this capability - but I stand to be corrected. There was a thread a while back about this - can't remember which one, but I think it was posted by doubledoom?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The following information should help you understand this a bit better. I know it certainly helped me when I was trying to figure out what SIM access profile meant. How do you get it you ask? Essentially, you'll need to find out whether your particular model cell phone has the "SAP" Bluetooth functionality included (e.g., you could ask your cell phone service provider or check your cell phone user's guide).

SAP (SIM Access Profile) definition:

A Bluetooth profile (mode) that enables a GSM phone to securely share its SIM card information with another GSM phone.

This is typically used for advanced car kit systems, where the car system will have its own GSM radio, but connect to the user's phone via Bluetooth and use the phone's SIM card. This allows the performance benefits of a dedicated radio and antenna for the car, with the convenience of a single phone number and account, tied to one phone that can stay in the user's pocket.

Bluetooth definition:

Bluetooth is a short-range wireless technology used to create PANs (Personal Area Networks) among your devices, and with other nearby devices.

Bluetooth allows you to leave your phone in your pocket, while talking on your phone with a Bluetooth headset - with no wires. You can also exchange contact or scheduling information with other Bluetooth-enabled phones nearby, or send such information to a nearby Bluetooth-enabled printer.

Bluetooth functionality is divided into separate types of connections known as "profiles". Not all Bluetooth devices support all profiles.

For example, most phones support the Headset (HSP) and Handsfree (HFP) profiles, for connecting the phones to headsets and car kits, respectively. But not all phones support the Object Exchange (OBEX) profiles, which let you transfer files (like photos) (FTP) and/or information (like contacts and events) (OPP) to and from other devices. Another profile supported by only some phones is Dial-Up Networking (DUN), which lets you connect a laptop or PDA to the Internet via the phone. Other optional profiles support connecting to printers (BPP), keyboards (HID), and stereo headphones (A2DP, AVRC).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
As far as I'm aware, in the UK only Nokia N-series phones have this capability - but I stand to be corrected.
The N series nokias have it but many of the older nokias do as well.

Here is a list of phones (in german) that do and do not (nicht) have sim access profile:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_Access_Profile

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Very good to know, doubledoom. Thanks. BTW, to see a translated version of that page, click here.

NOTE: Not sure how accurate or up-to-date the list of "Non-SAP-enabled" phones is on there, as I found my recently purchased Nokia 6555 in that list. But, that phone does have SAP capability.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys I must say a very knowledgable lot now for my next stupid question .... how does the txt appear is it on the screen in the car

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
the text message appears on the MMI screen.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update...my phone Samsung U600 pairs completely with the Bluetooth, but it doesn't have the SAP facility.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
so none of the sony ericsson phones will work with the Audi bluetooth system? :confused:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
so none of the sony ericsson phones will work with the Audi bluetooth system? :confused:
Actually, there's a post where one forum member (andyo) mentioned he's using a Sony Ericsson K750i with the car's Bluetooth feature. Link

And another forum member (scratch113) mentioned he has a new Sony Ericsson K850i, although in the following thread he didn't specifically mention using it with the car's Bluetooth (only took pictures with it). I would assume it will work since the K750i does. You may want to follow-up with scratch. Link

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
brilliant, thanks for the info on that mate :)

·
Banned
34 Posts
New here and have the n95 but I can't get the phonebook to transfer to the car
and this SAP have i to do anything else to get text msgs on the mmi screen ar is it automatic so to speak

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
New here and have the n95 but I can't get the phonebook to transfer to the car
and this SAP have i to do anything else to get text msgs on the mmi screen ar is it automatic so to speak
It will only transfer via the sim card not the phone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.