Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a samsung u740 from verizon wireless. When I bought my car the phone worked. It didn't bring in my phonebook and the received call lists were weird, but otherwise, i could make and receive calls with no issues. I was happy.

Fast Forward to today, with my 5k service I got a software update. After the software update no my phone can't connect. The phone can't see the car anymore. Service guy says no way back. I have a call into AoA, but who knows. I am not expecting anything but to take it in the rear...

Update 30.04.2008: Turns out the tech at my dealership was wrong. The software update didn't touch anything bluetooth related. See below posts for more. In the end, during a software update, it is possible to upset the bluetooth module which is remedied by resetting the module.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:
After a call to Audi NA, they said that after system updates phones typically don't see the car anymore. They recommended rejoining (which of course is failing). They also said that since the update didn't affect the bluetooth that the phone should still work. They said the standard procedure is to unplug the module and plug it back in. They claim this will allow the phone to see the car again.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
have you tried turning the phone off and back on again as well. Once or twice my bluetooth has refused to connect and turning the phone off and back on has worked.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I haven't had a system update (or they didn't say they did anything when I last brought the car in), plus I didn't have a problem right after I picked it up, BUT I have an issue as of this morning (two weeks later, so probably unrelated to any update even if they did one) where any call I accept or make via the car properly connect, BUT (wow, I may get this all done in one sentence, wish me luck...) the calls are going to my cell phone's speakerphone, AND (here I go!) I'm wondering why that would suddenly be.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My routine to make this work

have you tried turning the phone off and back on again as well. Once or twice my bluetooth has refused to connect and turning the phone off and back on has worked.
I have:
Tried turning off phone
Tried turning off car
Removed all bluetooth devices multiple times
Tried on different days
Tried with MMI at different screens
Removed battery from phone
Deleted all profiles from Cell Phone
Turn bluetooth on and off on cellphone
Thrown kitchen sink at car

None seem to do anything but frustrate me more.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Do you have access to any other Bluetooth sensing device to see is the car actually transmitting a Bluetooth signature at all, i.e. can any other device see it? This should help separate compatibility issues with perhaps the Bluetooth on the car failing altogether. Ask your service to see if they can hook it up with any phone?

Just to note, pairing a new phone on the car may be necessary to be done within a few minutes of starting the car - this kind of safety mechanism has been known to exist in Audis. But I doubt that has any relevance here, but just to point that out as well.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Also, have you tried clearing all pairings via the MMI and going through all MMI settings for the telephony unit, maybe there is some setting there that you could switch on and then off - and try if that resets something the update maybe left messed up?

The fact that the phone can not see the car at all actually gives me hope, because that should be the easy part for the phone - if the rest fails, that I can understand and would chalk up to incompatibility, but even if they were incompatible the phone should at least see the car's Bluetooth name on lookup.

So keep fiddling with the MMI settings for the phone as well as the Bluetooth settings for the phone, and try to look for the car with some other Bluetooth device if possible too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can assure you all the phone repaired with my bluetooth headset, just not with the car.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my update. The module needs to be reset so it is discoverable by another device. Currently it is not broadcasting itself, because the car software update process left it in the wrong state. No matter whether I try when first starting the car, at the end of the ride, just after deleting all devices, a cell phone can not see the audi device.

I am going to edit my original post and remove the imcompatibility part. The service tech at my dealership told me my phone didn't work because the update changed the bluetooth system and my phone wasn't on the compatible list. However, he was just plain wrong. When I called Audi of North America, a regional service manager got back to me and said the update had nothing to do with bluetooth and that I just needed to re-pair the phone to the car, and if that didn't work, the module needed to be reset. He mentioned that he had seen it before and didn't offer any other explanation.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my update. The module needs to be reset
OK, so it is a software/coding issue within the car. That would explain it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try a spare phone,but it sounds like the telephone control unit has been wiped when the svm update was carried out,it has happened to me,also if the phone control unit was updated to a higher software version you can replace the control unit with the earlier version and disconnect and fit a most repeater to the phone control to exclude it from the updates and then reconnect it to the most bus network.

This was always the case with q7 mmi highline version.It must be established that the phone control un it has crashed by carrying out a loop break diagnostic test or simply trying to pair another phone,also the fuse holders in the rear right luggage compartment hold the 30 supply fuse for the control unit(5amp) and they have been known to blow,check your owners handbook for the correct fuse and carry out a mmi reset,explained in the owners hand book.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Any Luck on this?

I'm can not pair with my car either (a5). I just got the car and I can't seem to pair my iphone or my friends iphone with it. Maybe it is a similar issue?

How do you reset the module?

Did you buy from Bell?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Conclusion to this saga:

The reset performed by the dealership made bluetooth work again. They didn't get voice activation working, and they didn't get the seats fixed. I needed my car, so I have taken it back. I *may* return when the seat rails are in. I say "may" because in case this overnight job which turned into 10 days wasn't unproductive enough, the car had a fresh 7.1 miles on it (still in the trip computer) when I picked it up a few minutes ago. Sirius was blasting the Punk Station and the bass had been cranked the max.

Not impressed with my dealer at all. Don't think I will be stopping by again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have used smartphones for a number of years now and currently have an HTC running Windows Media 5. Although the phone isn't listed by Audi on the compatability list, it paired via bluetooth instantly on day 1 and has worked perfectly since. I am considering upgrading to another phone with WM6 OS. Anyone any experiences, good or bad before I make the move?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Conclusion to this saga:

The reset performed by the dealership made bluetooth work again. They didn't get voice activation working, and they didn't get the seats fixed. I needed my car, so I have taken it back. I *may* return when the seat rails are in. I say "may" because in case this overnight job which turned into 10 days wasn't unproductive enough, the car had a fresh 7.1 miles on it (still in the trip computer) when I picked it up a few minutes ago. Sirius was blasting the Punk Station and the bass had been cranked the max.

Not impressed with my dealer at all. Don't think I will be stopping by again.
n2jcb, thanks for the update, that is really good to know as many members will undoubtedly get updates and see mysterious issues like this. Glad to hear it was a simple (although slow to come) fix. (I'd find a new dealer too)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.