Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Bluetooth streaming audio kit for 2G MMI

23K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  holdendaniels 
#1 ·
Has anyone bought or installed the Audi Bluetooth streaming kit? I just spotted it on their website and it's going for a lil over $200. Wanted to know how was the sound quality and if it's worth it...

In case you haven't seen it, here's a link to it:
Bluetooth Streaming Audio

#2 ·
I have it in my non-MMI 2012 A5. I didn't like having to hook up my phone in the glove compartment where it was inaccessible and not charging (Android, not an iPhone). I got the AMI 3.5mm adapter for the Android before the Bluetooth adapter, and also had an iPod touch hooked up through the iPod AMI adapter. So, after trying all the different sources of music, here's what I'd say. For the advantages of the bluetooth module, it's worth it. I definitely get sporadic stuttering in the music while streaming over Spotify. Don't know it that would happen if I was simply playing MP3s from the phone, never tried that. It hasn't bothered me quite enough to see if I can do anything about it, but it's close.

In order of sound quality of the things I've tried in the car, I'd say it's:

iPod AMI Adapter > (barely!) 3.5mm AMI Adapter > Bluetooth AMI > Sirius > FM

As for music quality, guitars can sound a little tinny in my opinion, but after listening to the radio, it's clear that the Bluetooth quality is better. However, I think most people would be able to tell the difference between the Bluetooth and and iPod adapter, for example.

Might ask your dealer to hook one up and try it out...

#3 ·
I wonder if you can have 2 Bluetooth devices working at the same time. I use my work BlackBerry for streaming, but my personal phone for most inbound/outbound calling. It did say it comes with a software update for MMI so would be awesome if i could have both hooked up, doubt it though.

#4 ·
Augster,

Hmmm, it may be possible? If I find some time this week, I'll give it a shot and report back. Certainly when my phone rings, which is also doing the streaming, I can accept the call, talk, and then return to the music. I don't have MMI though (no nav), and I have a 2012 model, so who knows if results would even be comparable...

#5 ·
Thanks erock for your feedback, most certainly helpful. I have tried the native Bluetooth a2dp on a 2011 Touareg and I thought the sound quality was pretty decent. I have gone down the 3.5mm route (swiped the 3.5mm cable from the Touareg haha) but yeah it was annoying, I did a minor DIY of extending the cable so that I can have access to my blackberry and not have it locked up in the glovebox. Basically it wasn't too convenient to have the long extension cable sticking out, not to mention deterioration of sound quality due to having the cable jammed.

I think I'm gonna a hope over to my local dealer and see how it sounds.. Was just a bit reluctant to drop 200+ bucks for this thing...

#6 ·
@erock (or anyone else who knows), did the Bluetooth Streaming audio configuration allow you to control the input from the MMI? For example could I switch songs in Pandora or does that actually still need to be done on the Android Device?

If not is there any configuration out there that allows you to control the media input from the MMI rather than the device itself?

#7 ·
Yes you can switch tracks via Pandora with the MMI configurations. I have found it the easiest to use the buttons next to the return button instead of the steering wheel controls or the MMI knob.

As far as sound quality, it is not the best but it is decent. Every once in a while it skips a little. Sounds like a skipping cd or as if it is buffering. Other than that, it sounds good. Personally, I can deal with that a lot easier than putting my iphone in the glove box. I always seemed to forget it in there when I got out of the car.

One thing that I wish that it did was display the track name and title on the MMI. It does not do that. Instead it just shows whether you want to skip to the next track.

Here is a screen shot. I hope this helps.

#10 ·
I'm almost 100% that it should work with an android as well. I do have an old blackberry that I could test this afternoon if you would like. Yes, everything does hook up in the glove box. When you start the car it automatically starts the music and when you shut it off it automatically pauses it.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, I can confirm that skipping tracks with the car's controls works for me on my Android phone (HTC Evo 4G). I am using Spotify on Android, and my car does not have MMI, but I'm guessing as invncble describes that it would just fine as long as you don't have MMI 3G, where you would need the mod described elsewhere on this board.

Agree that the steering wheel controls are a bit cumbersome for skipping tracks, so I use the button on the dash. Also agree that showing the track info would be nice on the screen, but no such luck.

I think that if I make an *outgoing* call with my phone, that Spotify might need to be restarted to play music again. I know I've restarted music after receiving a call no problem. Who knows if that depends on the app, phone, etc. I haven't done the required testing to figure out exactly what's going on. Also, I have to connect my phone to the bluetooth audio device each time I go to the car through the bluetooth settings. The phone connection works automatically, but I can't figure out how to connect the bluetooth music connection automatically.

I've learned to live with these little things, and overall am happy with the purchase. Far better than not having it IMO.

I have seen most of the little gotchas with the device, so if you get one, feel free to ask if something isn't working.

#12 ·
A2DP Audi A5 2011 MMI 2G 4F0051510J / 4F0-051-510-J

- It works with MMI 2G (no NAV)
- It did not require MMI software update in my A5
- I could not notice any sound quality difference between CD, iPod and Bluetooth IPhone 4S
- You can control next and previous song on the MMI
- It does NOT control the library, other words: You will not see the song title
- It suports streaming for Pandora, etc from the iPhone
- You will connect 2 devices at the same time on your iPhone, one for phone and one for audio streaming. It works seamless between applications. It will activate the phone when incoming calls while streaming audio and come back to audio after phone call ends.

#14 ·
Please Help with my Bluetooth Module

I have tried everything and I cant get it to work. It did have a blue light on and I was able to pair it with my phone but thats it ?

Anyone who has one that is working - how did you install the software update using the usb key provided ? what was the process ?

Thanks

2006 S6 Saloon

#15 ·
I have the same blue tooth kit from Audi and it works very well.

As stated before, the kit will:
- It works with MMI 2G (no NAV)
- It did not require MMI software update in my A5
- I could not notice any sound quality difference between CD, iPod and Bluetooth IPhone 5
- You can control next and previous song on the MMI
- It does NOT control the library, other words: You will not see the song title
- It suports streaming for Pandora, etc from the iPhone
- You will connect 2 devices at the same time on your iPhone, one for phone and one for audio streaming. It works seamless between applications. It will activate the phone when incoming calls while streaming audio and come back to audio after phone call ends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.