Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, anyone who'se seen my posts about the problems I've had pairing my Treo knows that things have not worked out well for me on this score. I started with a Verizon Treo 700p. Didn't work.

Because the Audi car kit was not on the Palm wesbite for the 700p and the Verizon 700p wasn't on Audi's approved list I checked around and found that the Audi Car kit was on the Palm website as approved for the Verizon 755p. So, I traded in my 700p for a 755p; actually two, but first one, then the other didn't work.

But becase the 755p wasn't on Audi's approved list (too new, Verizon just came out with it), I knew I had no recourse at the dealer. So, I switched to the Blackberry 8830, which is on Audi's approved list. It still doesn't work. The BT conection comes and goes, half the time the phone gives me a mesage that it is unable to connect with the car because the connection failed and even when it connects it has spontaneously disconnected several times. So now I've changed platforms -- from a terrific phone and OS, the 755p, to a phone I hate BTW -- and I'm still nowhere in getting the damned BT connection to work properly. I did demonstrate the problem for the the dealer's service techs yesterday with the Bberry and they'll try to get to the bottom of it, but I think that the BT transmitter in the car is just FUBAR. Anyone else having any similar issues?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I know how to fix this...

Buy one of those little cables that goes from your phone to a microphone and loudspeaker in your ear. When the phone rings, you just press the button and speak. Voice dialling works too...

...The best thing about this option is that it can be retro-fitted to any vehicle.
;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car is on order, but when I had a test car over a weekend in late November, I connected without any trouble my Blackberry Curve. This included bringing up my address book automatically.

Having had no problems in my experience, I would think there is a bluetooth signal problem in your S5.

Perhaps you could visit your Audi Dealer and attempt to connect your Blackberry to one of their cars to see if the problem reappears. This way you'll know if its to do with the car - thankfully, you have a warranty.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
make sure you have the latest firmware. The audi list does put minimum firmware versions on there and I had to update my old nokia 6630i to get it to work (Although i have since dumped it for a nokia N95 8gb and that integrates better with the phone book).

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
make sure you have the latest firmware. The audi list does put minimum firmware versions on there and I had to update my old nokia 6630i to get it to work (Although i have since dumped it for a nokia N95 8gb and that integrates better with the phone book).
I had checked to make sure the devices (Palms and BBerry) were running the latest versions of their respective firmware. There is no question that there is a problem with the car's BT transmitter/receiver or with the way it's firmware is configured. I went back to the Palm device, because I simply can't stand the BBerry and hope that when the dealer fixes the problems with the car the 755 will work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
good luck with your repair jeff..
i'm guessing that if it does connect and disconnects intermittently your BT signal/connection on the s5 is definitely FUBARed...
hope they can just swap out the interface adapter and get it to you ASAP...update us please

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good luck with your repair jeff..
i'm guessing that if it does connect and disconnects intermittently your BT signal/connection on the s5 is definitely FUBARed...
hope they can just swap out the interface adapter and get it to you ASAP...update us please
The car is going in to the dealer for this issue, and for a slight rocking of the driver seat this Monday. Hopefully they'll replace the BT transmitter with a new one that is completely up-to-date with its firmware and it will work. Keeping fingers crossed. I'll let everyone know next week. (They also wanted to try to work on my slight vibration, but because I'll have the stock tires and wheels back on the car in just two months, I told them to hold off. The vibration is subtle enough that I can live with it in the meanwhile, and if a change of tires and wheels changes the situation it will help to immediately reduce the work we;ll have to do to try to find, diagnose and fix the issue.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I met up with someone today so i could see their car as i wanted help speccing mine (will post my pics tmrw). We went for a beer after i had seen the car and he told me the bluetooth system on his S5 is the best hands free he has ever used. When he turns the engine on, it connects to the phone automatically and works like a dream. He has a Blackberry Pearl.

So i cannot understand why yours doesn't work as well too, maybe go visit your dealer:confused:

Edited to say - would the US and UK systems /phones be different. This is a UK phone and UK car i am talking about above

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I met up with someone today so i could see their car as i wanted help speccing mine (will post my pics tmrw). We went for a beer after i had seen the car and he told me the bluetooth system on his S5 is the best hands free he has ever used. When he turns the engine on, it connects to the phone automatically and works like a dream. He has a Blackberry Pearl.

So i cannot understand why yours doesn't work as well too, maybe go visit your dealer:confused:

Edited to say - would the US and UK systems /phones be different. This is a UK phone and UK car i am talking about above
The BT system on the A4 I traded in worked very well with my Palm (although the compatibility was limited to downolading only contacts in my favorites list), with only an occasionaal hiccup once in a while, like making a short screeching noise every so often on hanging up or reverberating the ring tone in a caller's ears when I first picked up. The fidelity and clarity of the BT speaker phone though, together with the automatic muting of the radio when taking a call, was top notch and I really miss it. I'm sure that the problem is with the BT hardware or firmware that came pre-installed in the car. The dealer will have it fixed, and I'm hoping to be back in business next week.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I borrowed My friends BB 8100 to see if I wanted to change to one and was very disappointed with the BT connectivity with my S5. Whilst it would pair and eventually work via the MMI, I upgraded the BB software to version 4.2.1 something from 4.2.0 something and its now completely useless. It connects almost immediately and then has a java error and will not 'let go' of the BT connection unless you take the battery out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They also sent a list of 'Partially' compatible phones or as it was described to me Bluetooth 'Low' tech. These are phones which use a 'handsfree profile' but not S.A.P. (the way older carkits used to work). Some features work and some don't depending on your handset but you wont get the best from the car kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
In summary, I like the BB Pearl but they are not planning to incorporate S.A.P. The Audi MMi phone is fantastic using Sim Access but the list of phones is limited. I need a fix (or reinstall older software on the phone) for the BB to accept and make calls via the MMI BUT it will still not download more than A-F in the phonebook and susiquently Caller ID (named) doesn't work for the rest of these numbers. There are two solutions to my mind, either put up with poor performance from the BB (old s/ware) and carkit, a real pain if you do lots of short trips, or use two phones, turning off the BB when entering the car which then diverts to a BT phone left in the car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the update. The dealer's confirmed that I have a bad BT module and they will be replacing it, along with the seat rail (my driver's seat has been rocking slightly) when the parts show up. There must be some BT issues in general with Audi because the BT parts are on back order.

·
Registered
75 Posts
well that is good news sorta =)
too bad for the wait though...
at least you can start using it once the new unit comes in...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well that is good news sorta =)
too bad for the wait though...
at least you can start using it once the new unit comes in...
Let's hope. I'm actually dropping it off this afternoon for a loaner so they can have it tomorrow to replace the module. I hope to be able to update everyone shortly with a note saying, "yippe, they replaced the module and it now works perfectly with my Treo 755p." Stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yippee! The dealer replaced the BT module and my Verizon Palm Treo 755p now works like a charm with the system. There is not complete access to the phone book through the MMI menus, only to the contacts that I've put in the buttons on the favorites pages, but that is good enough. For everyone else I simply can use the phone's phonebook and dial from the phone, in which case the BT system is just an extraordinarily good built-in speaker phone system. (I.e., after the repair the system works exactly like the one in my old A4 and exactly as it is supposed to.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
woohoo congrats!
i can't believe all that frustration it caused..wish they had better Quality Control so this won't happen

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
woohoo congrats!
i can't believe all that frustration it caused..wish they had better Quality Control so this won't happen
Still working great now. All you can expect is that when something happens they're responsive and fix it quickly. My dealer, Bell Audi in Rahway, NJ, is terriffic, and they did a great job to follow up and fix the problem ASAP.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Congrats on the Fix, I was going to say that the iPhone seems to work well in all the dealer cars I have driven.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts