Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I've got the Audi Bluetooth Hi in my A5. Does anyone know the differences to the low?

Tim

·
Registered
953 Posts
Apparently the High has Remote Sim Access Profile built in which means that the car 'turns off' the phone and uses itself as an aerial. This is good for phone battery life.

Also, it can access the sim card of the phone and allow texts and other details to be displayed on the DIS (depending on phone, obviously).

Better info here

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you have the Audi Music Interface, you can connect via that. It charges the phone plus you can play the music from the iPhone in your car. It still connects to the cellular network via bluetooth.

I have an iPhone too hence I have been researching this for my car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hello.

I've got the Audi Bluetooth Hi in my A5. Does anyone know the differences to the low?

Tim
Bluetooth LOW uses Bluetooth to communicate with the phone and act as a glorified headset. The microphone in the car, and the speakers in the car, act as a headset. All functionality remains on the phone. Due to special features for "intelligent" headsets, the caller number can be displayed and address books can also be downloaded to the car depending on compatibility of the handset with the car electronics (see separate threads on that topic).

Bluetooth HIGH also uses Bluetooth to communicate with the phone but only to "borrow" details from the SIM, the process known as "rSAP" or "Remote SIM Access Protocol". The car has a complete GSM phone instrument built inside the car, with its own transmitters and receivers, antenna, etc. It then simulates the SIM as if you removed it from your handset and plugged it into the car (theoretically) using bluetooth. You can use the Setup menu to set ringtones, answering, voice dialling, etc, like any other phone instrument. During this process, your handset cannot be used as it has been "taken over" by the other hardware inside the car. Since all the battery draining activities like transmission of radio signals is performed by the car rather than the handset, there is usually a positive impact on battery life of the handset. However, bluetooth also drains some power and other phone settings may keep the handset more active which may then shorten the battery life so battery life in itself is not the sole advantage of Bluetooth HIGH.

Some funtional advantages of Bluetooth HIGH is that you can see your incoming SMS text messages on the car screen. Also, since it relies on its own transmitter and receiver, with its own external antenna, signal quality is much better than from a handset inside the car so call quality is improved especially in weaker or borderline signal areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It doesn't seem to be on the Audi website. I'll have to keep checking.

Phone the dealer mate, the armrest cradle is available for the iPhone 3G for £85. Ordered mine from Walton Audi but they should all have it. Doesn't do the ipod functionality (need MMI for that) but will charge and hard wire the roof antenna etc...

rob.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phone the dealer mate, the armrest cradle is available for the iPhone 3G for £85. Ordered mine from Walton Audi but they should all have it. Doesn't do the ipod functionality (need MMI for that) but will charge and hard wire the roof antenna etc...

rob.
Thanks Rob.

Do you know if that works on both Bluetooth Hi and Low?

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts